Tire Hazard Protection Plans, worth it?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Whelan

Tire Hazard Protection Plans, worth it?

Post by Whelan »

Just lookin for a general consensus on these. The ones offered by Tirerack and the like. Do people buy them? Have you bought them? Or is it wise to even worry about it? Let me know what you think. I've bought tires online for the last several years and have only gotten the protection once. The tires I am looking at only adds $36 to the cost.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
slvrvibes

Re: Tire Hazard Protection Plans, worth it? (Whelan)

Post by slvrvibes »

I started to get it since my previous vehicle. I just replaced all the tires on my vibe and got the protection plan. I ended up taking advantage of it twice on the last set of tires when I had nails stuck in two of my tires and had to get the tires fixed.
genvibe garage
NibCrom

Post by NibCrom »

I bought mine on the tires I just bought for my wife's car. I probably wouldn't buy it again, but maybe it will come in handy.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I never buy them, I just keep a tire repair kit in the glove box and a electric air pump incase a puncture. I've never had a non repairable tire, but thats just me. imo dont buy them.
altimar

Post by altimar »

One thing to keep in mind is that even if it covers replacing an unrepairable tire, you will get stuck for a bunch of fees. You probably won't come out ahead unless you need two or maybe three tires replaced. At least that's my experience with a Goodyear shop. The tire costs nothing, but they charge for a valve, mounting, balancing, and guess what? A new protection plan... I think it cost me $45 for the "free" tire.That said, it can still be worth it if you buy really expensive tires and are prone to picking up nails and such.Quote, originally posted by northvibe »I never buy them, I just keep a tire repair kit in the glove box... I think I'm going to try a DIY repair myself. I got a nail in my vibe tire a month or two ago and took it to a Firestone shop to have it repaired. I stupidly did not ask how much it was going to cost, because the last time I had a tire repair it was like $5. Well, the guy rang it up at about $40 and I almost choked. The best part is that it still leaks. I've been meaning to take it back but it's easier just to fill the tire up myself once a week.I hate tires almost as much as I hate hard drives.
2007 Vibe: Wave monotone, Auto, sun & sound
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

i usually get them but the last set of tires i got from the tire rack the tread warr is the WORST!they judge replacement on TIME not tread depth. TOTALLY worthless, if you don't drive a lot of miles in a year.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Whelan

Re: Tire Hazard Protection Plans, worth it? (keithvibe)

Post by Whelan »

Well what has worked for me in the past is if I buy tires that are carried by my local Town Fair Tire, even though they are swindlers with sales. They replaced or fix them for free, LOL. They have a guarantee on their tires and no paperwork for it, so you just showup and they fix it.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Well what has worked for me in the past is if I buy tires that are carried by my local Town Fair Tire, even though they are swindlers with sales. They replaced or fix them for free, LOL. They have a guarantee on their tires and no paperwork for it, so you just showup and they fix it.lol so immoral, but it works.
Sublimewind

Re: Tire Hazard Protection Plans, worth it? (altimar)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by altimar »I think I'm going to try a DIY repair myself. I got a nail in my vibe tire a month or two ago and took it to a Firestone shop to have it repaired. I stupidly did not ask how much it was going to cost, because the last time I had a tire repair it was like $5. Well, the guy rang it up at about $40 and I almost choked. The best part is that it still leaks. I've been meaning to take it back but it's easier just to fill the tire up myself once a week.I hate tires almost as much as I hate hard drives.that there depends on what they did... If they patched it, they had to dismount the tire and apply the patch to the inside... If it was just a plug, those can be done with the tire on the wheel... It depends on how bad and WHERE the puncture was... I personally have plugged many a tire, without issue, and it's cheap and EASY...