Bent a steel wheel..

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Mathias

Bent a steel wheel..

Post by Mathias »

Learned Friends,The potholes here in MI are as bad as anyone remembers them. Yesterday, the wife hits one, pinch-flats the tire, and bends the rim. These are std 16" steelies, nothing special.Can anyone tell me where I can get OEM wheels for this puppy? The Pontiac dealer is closed today, Tirerack has no steelies for my car, and Discount Tire's website says the wheel covers won't fit. I can wait until Monday and then pay $120 or whatever on a $50 stell wheel at the Pontiac dealer. Does anyone have a better idea?The dent isn't too bad, maybe 1/2" out of whack, but it'll take serious force to get it back in shape. I may try a bigger hammer; don't have much to lose at this point.Please let me know what y'all think. Pointers towards a used OEM wheel would also be appreciated.Thanks in advance, -m
nygiantzz1

Re: Bent a steel wheel.. (Mathias)

Post by nygiantzz1 »

Cougar Vibe

Post by Cougar Vibe »

Unless Tire Rack made a change, you can get steelies through them; I bought Wintersports mounted on Toyo steel rims from them. One suggestion, try Matrix or Corolla rather than Vibe on their order page.
Digger

Re: (Cougar Vibe)

Post by Digger »

Junk yard. carolla vibe or matrix.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
zionzr2

Re: (Digger)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Digger »Junk yard. carolla vibe or matrix.+1 for Salvage yard.My dad and I did this for a Ford Taurus I had.
Mavrik

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by Mavrik »

try wal-mart. at least one with an automotive shop because they should sell generic steel rims that will do the trick. also price yourself out a new tire. I bet the sidewall has internal damage from the impact. there has to be tire shops open or something on weekends in MI.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
darcmater

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by darcmater »

was she any where near the corner of pensilvania and jolly? I heard that was a giant crater, but the past 2 days lansing put down 200 tons of asphault to fix most the issues here. Only reason I mention this is because your thing says E. lansing : )
Mathias

Re: (darcmater)

Post by Mathias »

Quote, originally posted by darcmater »was she any where near the corner of pensilvania and jolly? I heard that was a giant crater, but the past 2 days lansing put down 200 tons of asphault to fix most the issues here. Only reason I mention this is because your thing says E. lansing : )South Cedar Street All's well that ends well. Thanks for the suggestions y'all. I took an 8 lb. mallet and a straight chisel with a fairly blunt edge and hammered the rim back into shape. Then I had Discount Tire put on another Goodyear Eagle RS-A or whatever the heck these OEM tires are called.$125 installed; at first they quoted me $140. Ugh.What bugs me is that six weeks or so ago, she caught a HUGE bolt in the other rear wheel in just about he same location. I had to replace THAT tire also, so if I had just gone ahead and gotten a Traction T/A then, I could have gotten another one today and saved myself $100 or so. And I'd have better tires. But I believe in having the same brand tire at least on one axle...Oh well. At least the car is OK again. Plus the wifey learned how to change a tire, that's something, too.Cheers, -m
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

thats rough.my boyfriend hit a pothole the other day and literally CRACKED his rim 3/4 of the way around the middle. He found out the next day at the shop that he ripped his cv boot and bent the axle too. That was on 96 just before the okemos exit...screw michigan roads!
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

btw, what year are you mathias? Im a sophmore, if you ever see a debadged silver vibe on campus thats me! lol
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

wow IT that rim is brutal lol..i avoid potholes with all cost, stock suspension/steelie or not..our roads up here arent too bad, thank god
Mathias

Re: (ITcar)

Post by Mathias »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »btw, what year are you mathias? Im a sophmore, if you ever see a debadged silver vibe on campus thats me! lolWhat year? I went to physics grad school and graduated in '95. I still work at the Cyclotron.If I ever see a debadged silver Vibe on campus, I'll wave. I'll be on a bicycle, though.. I ride my bike year-round and only have 5 miles round trip.-Mathias04 base 5sp silver [sold]07 base 5sp gray 4k miles.
darcmater

Re: (Mathias)

Post by darcmater »

what year is some oen in when they have 100+ credits and have been goign to school for 10 years on and off? I miss all the msu hotties durring the summer : )
ITcar

Re: (Mathias)

Post by ITcar »

Quote, originally posted by Mathias »What year? I went to physics grad school and graduated in '95. I still work at the Cyclotron.If I ever see a debadged silver Vibe on campus, I'll wave. I'll be on a bicycle, though.. I ride my bike year-round and only have 5 miles round trip.-Mathias04 base 5sp silver [sold]07 base 5sp gray 4k miles.oh ok, lol. well i guess its my fault for assuming, lol. thats really cool. last year i got a tour of the cyclotron with a class and it was fascinating, must be cool to work there. I usually take the bus, but on tuesdays and thursdays i have a night class so i drive since it used to be dark when i had to go and i hate the bus/walking/biking after dark.
ITcar

Re: (darcmater)

Post by ITcar »

Quote, originally posted by darcmater »what year is some oen in when they have 100+ credits and have been goign to school for 10 years on and off? I miss all the msu hotties durring the summer : )wow, ummm crazy? lol, i dont know how you do it. I have been at it for two years and i am ready to be done. Im not good at the whole college thing tho so its a stuggle for me at times. I give a lot of respect to those who do it for as long as you have.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »thats rough.my boyfriend hit a pothole the other day and literally CRACKED his rim 3/4 of the way around the middle. He found out the next day at the shop that he ripped his cv boot and bent the axle too. That was on 96 just before the okemos exit...screw michigan roads! Holy crap, what kind of wheel was that?? I'd like to know, so I don't ever buy that kind.. I did flatspotted a TSW wheel once on my VW, hitting a pothole, never lost air, but bent the wheel out of round, 2" long flat spot on the outside and a 4" long flat spot on the inside..
Mathias

Before/After pictures

Post by Mathias »

Here are a couple pictures of this debacle. Maybe it can help someone down the road. Before:http://www.msu.edu/~steine13/wl1.jpg... and after:http://www.msu.edu/~steine13/wl2.jpgI would argue that this is not a big deal for a steel wheel and that it'll be fine. So long as it holds air, which it appears to do.Cheers, -Mathias
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »thats rough.my boyfriend hit a pothole the other day and literally CRACKED his rim 3/4 of the way around the middle. He found out the next day at the shop that he ripped his cv boot and bent the axle too. That was on 96 just before the okemos exit...screw michigan roads! Now I've seen some bent rims but never a rim that looked like that. wow.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
ITcar

Post by ITcar »

lol, ya he normally puts winters on the car, but didnt this year. i guess he learned his lesson with 18's in michigan during the winter....it doesnt work well sublime, they were flik arctics, lol
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by ITcar »lol, ya he normally puts winters on the car, but didnt this year. i guess he learned his lesson with 18's in michigan during the winter....it doesnt work well sublime, they were flik arctics, lolNoted.... never buy Flik wheels... Not that I need to now, with my Forged Volk goodness.. I never asked, did you get the springs on the car? how they doing? Yeah, 18's in michigan = bad news peroid.. lol... never no when the grand canyon will pop out and get you... My GF was driving the Vibe last night and nearly nailed one, disguised as a puddle..
vibolista

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by vibolista »

You have pictures of your Vibe on Volks? Would like to see, Sub.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
whitfiel

Post by whitfiel »

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to confirm that Corolla is now using 16" steel wheels and that they fit on a Vibe/Matrix. My pre-Vibe car was a Corolla, but it had 15" wheels. When I go to the junkyard, can I ask for 16" Corolla wheels?
Arthttp://WindWorksDesign.com
vibolista

Re: (whitfiel)

Post by vibolista »

Wow, and Sublime never posted that picture of Vibe on Volk wheels. Damn.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires