worth it to go 17" -> 16"?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
jeffbacon

worth it to go 17" -> 16"?

Post by jeffbacon »

I'm not really a performance guy and would rather have a smoother ride so I'm thinking of switching from the 17" (brand new, Anyone know approx how much those 17" would be worth on eBay or locally?
Mavrik

Re: worth it to go 17" -> 16"? (jeffbacon)

Post by Mavrik »

Well when going back to 16" you have to keep in mind the tire difference. For example your 17" wheel diameter is bigger then the 16" tire diameter. You can't throw on 16" wheels from another Vibe as they will be to small and throw off your odometer readings, fuel MPG and possibly wheel speed sensors and ABS brake systems.best size to convert back to would be a P205/60R16. Its 0.9% slower then your 17" tires. When your speed says 60MPH your actually going 60.5MPHIf you went to the 205/55R16 size the other Vibes run, your actually going 2.3% to fast. When your speed says 60MPH, your actually going to be going 58.6MPH
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
scherry2

Re: worth it to go 17" -> 16"? (Mavrik)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik » For example your 17" wheel diameter is bigger then the 16" tire diameter. your comparing 2 different thingsas long as the tire measurement from top of the tire to the bottom of the tire are the same, 16" v.s. 17" it shouldn't be a problem.Example; 17" rim with a 6" sidewall tire = 23" 16" rim with a 7" sidewall tire = 23"right?
Mavrik

Re: worth it to go 17" -> 16"? (scherry2)

Post by Mavrik »

when you decrease the rim size, you need to increase the sidewall size.Personally I do not think its worth it. The ride difference might go unnoticed because our 16" rims ride on 55 sidewall tires. Your 17" rides on 50 sidewalls. Since your not into the hubcap look... buying 16" alloy wheels in good condition might be hard to get unless you buy new which will be $$$.Now for me on my 17" rims I'm running a 45 side wall. Its a noticable difference but when I drove the wife's GT with her 17" stock rims on the 50 sidewall, they seemed about the same as my 16" rims felt like. Sure the rim is bigger but the sidewall on the tire is about the same.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
JohnC

Post by JohnC »

Quote, originally posted by jeffbacon »I'm not really a performance guy and would rather have a smoother ride so I'm thinking of switching from the 17" (brand new, Same here, I wish I would have gone to a 15" from my oem 16s. More tire for the money, bigger selection, better ride and I think they would be a little less noisey. Probably depends alot on the type of road you drive.
Base Two Tone Satellite, Auto, & Pwr Pkg....my current commuting car.
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

Well I definatly notice the roads in Ottawa seem bumpier/rougher in my new Vibe then in the rental cars I used to frequent. A friend at the office thinks I will notice a difference on 16" rims (obviously with a larger sidewall) so I'm trying to guage whether it's worth the eBay hastle to try to get enough money to buy 16" wheels (rims + tires) and some extra or whether I should just be looking for a straight up trade with someone. (not sure if I'll find that but you never know until you look)
Mavrik

Re: (jeffbacon)

Post by Mavrik »

Well maybe you can find someone in ontario who will trade 16" alloy for 17" alloy and your set. The Vibe suspension is also a little different from the various rental cars you have been in. I can't remember how my Vibe rode on stock springs because its been so long lol If you can find some to try before sealing the deal and drive on them to see how/if they feel any different. Maybe see if someone in the area will let you try their 16" rims on the 205/55R16 size for a little drive. no damage will be done on the short term by doing that. See if it feels different. I'd offer mine but I'm not in your area.
cybermob2

Post by cybermob2 »

if you were closer to michigan i'd trade you my steelies with 'caps for your 17s.too bad too, mine just had BRAND NEW eagle RS-A tires put on courtesy of G.M.!
OrangeGT

Post by OrangeGT »

I am willing to do a trade or a trade + some cash my RSA s have 22k on them but Canada is a little far to ship. What do you think it would cost?
2004 Vibe GTOrange Fusion MetallicMoons & TunesPower GroupXm
Mavrik

Re: worth it to go 17" -> 16"? (OrangeGT)

Post by Mavrik »

States to province isn't to bad... the shipping costs go up if its to alaska. Otherwise its pretty affordable.
jeffbacon

Post by jeffbacon »

Showing how much I actually know about this stuff... I drive a friend to work yesterday and he lactually LOOKED at the wheels and apparently I already have 16's on there. doh! I'm not 100% sure where I got the idea they were 17's but no biggie, they are what I wanted. I guess it's the suspention that I'm noticiing.
Mavrik

Re: (jeffbacon)

Post by Mavrik »

Well you now have the option of going for 15" wheels with taller sidewalls.
ColonelPanic

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Well you now have the option of going for 15" wheels with taller sidewalls. That gives ya a nice, soft ride! I'm diggin' the ride I get with my 15" Blizzaks, I swear it is a lot better than what it was with the 16" all seasons, but the handling "capabilities" sure can get, well, scary at times.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image