Which lugnuts for 03-04 alloy wheels?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
butternutaud

Which lugnuts for 03-04 alloy wheels?

Post by butternutaud »

I recently purchased a used set of factory alloy rims off a 2003 or 04 Vibe in hopes of using them on our 2009 Vibe. Ours came with factory steel rims so I knew that I would need new mag-seat type of lugnuts. I picked up a set of M12-1.5 x42mm but they don't seem to be anywhere near long enough. The hole clearance on the alloys is tight and almost looks like a thin socket is needed. When we picked up the rims it looked like the original owner had the original lugnuts on her steel rims and they looked like maybe 3" long? I've poked around the forums and googled it but still not sure which lugnuts to buy.
ken99287

Re: Which lugnuts for 03-04 alloy wheels?

Post by ken99287 »

They're called mag wheel lug nuts.

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 60&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just search "toyota mag wheel lug nuts" they're not too expensive. Or go to junkyard.
Tight is tight, too tight is broke.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I paid just under $50 total for 20 of them at NAPA a few months ago, The Goodyear store that severely over-torqued my old lug nuts gave me $50 store credit, then went out of business before I could claim it. Then my kid wrecked the car. So it goes.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
trb

Post by trb »

I bought the same set on ebay for my son's car when I changed his steel wheels for the 17" alloys and they work great. It is a tight fit for the lug wrench, but it does fit.

Here are the original lug nuts from my 03 Vibe that came with the alloys:

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

I actually got a set of longer ones for myself. I have them on my Solara and liked them better.

Like these, but genuine Toyota ones.

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav= ... 02&alt=web" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
butternutaud

Post by butternutaud »

Thanks everyone for the advice. The pictures are great. I believe my mags are different from the ones photographed where the lug nuts pass through. (it could be that the previous owner was mistaken about the year of her Vibe) I measured approx. 28mm+ to almost 29mm in diameter at the top and somewhere around 45mm from face of rim hole to where the inner bevel begins. So I don't believe the short ones would work as I tried 42mm long ones already. The referred ebay listed ones (extended) may be long enough at 50mm in length but the 30mm width at the washer isn't going to clear. Still not sure. As I mentioned a casual glance at her car with the steel rims on using (I expect) the original mag lugnuts they looked very long like maybe 2 1/2 to 3". I wished I had measured them while there.

I took a couple of pictures but not sure how to upload them from a private computer...

Thanks, tom
trb

Post by trb »

butternutaud wrote:Thanks everyone for the advice. The pictures are great. I believe my mags are different from the ones photographed where the lug nuts pass through. (it could be that the previous owner was mistaken about the year of her Vibe) I measured approx. 28mm+ to almost 29mm in diameter at the top and somewhere around 45mm from face of rim hole to where the inner bevel begins. So I don't believe the short ones would work as I tried 42mm long ones already. The referred ebay listed ones (extended) may be long enough at 50mm in length but the 30mm width at the washer isn't going to clear. Still not sure. As I mentioned a casual glance at her car with the steel rims on using (I expect) the original mag lugnuts they looked very long like maybe 2 1/2 to 3". I wished I had measured them while there.

I took a couple of pictures but not sure how to upload them from a private computer...

Thanks, tom
Well, if the wheels you bought have an inner bevel on the lug nut holes, then they are NOT factory Vibe alloy wheels. All of the Vibe alloy wheels have a flat mounting surface that the flat washer on the mag wheel lug nuts seats against. Post up some pics of the wheels if you can so we can confirm. I post mine on Photobucket.com and link to them here. Or email them to me at trbkrb at yahoo dot com and I can post them.

If they are not Vibe wheels, then you would probably need the tapered type to mount against the bevel on the wheels. That might be why yours have such a small hole since they require longer aftermarket lug nuts.

Oh, and FWIW, there were only 3 styles of factory alloy wheels on the 03-08 Vibes.

16"
17"
17" Chrome - usually dealer installed
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
trb

Post by trb »

Tom,

Got your pics, but can't reply from my phone, or get to my personal email at work! Dang IT department! I'll post them up tonight.

Yes, those are not Vibe wheels, but I've seen some like it before. The Pontiac centercap does not fit too well on them! Looks like you will have to find some longer lug nuts to fit them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
trb

Post by trb »

Here are the OP's pics:

I thought I've seen these on a Pontiac before, but maybe it was some other car if the are ARE wheels.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

With the taper like that, won't any acorn nut work?
butternutaud

Post by butternutaud »

Thanks for posting the pictures. I appreciate that. I'm still searching the net for info on this particular ARE rim but nothing yet. The problem with the rims is that there is little clearance for a socket as well as no clearance for the car's lug wrench. And the clearance hole seems to be particularly deep like around 45mm before the flat inner face. I wished I'd bought the seller's lugnuts and replaced them with conventional ones for her steel rims. But that would of been kinda awkward to ask somebody if you can jack up their car, take off all tires and exchange lugnuts....
ken99287

Post by ken99287 »

Those security lug nuts that come with a special deep socket are pretty skinny. They might fit. I had them on my Honda Civic wheels.
robtco99

Post by robtco99 »

Those are American Racing Wheels. I forget the actual name of the wheel, but that style was popular in the 80's and 90's. I have a set of those I use for winter wheels on my Buick. I use tuner style lug nuts on them, because like you said the hole clearance is tight to get to the lug nuts. I have to use a 4 way lug wrench/or socket to get the lug nuts off, because a stock lug wrench won't fit in the hole.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

butternutaud wrote:I recently purchased a used set of factory alloy rims off a 2003 or 04 Vibe in hopes of using them on our 2009 Vibe. Ours came with factory steel rims so I knew that I would need new mag-seat type of lugnuts. I picked up a set of M12-1.5 x42mm but they don't seem to be anywhere near long enough.
any idea what size the lugs were for the steel rims? I'm looking for a set for my winter rims. :D
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

robtco99 wrote:Those are American Racing Wheels. I forget the actual name of the wheel, but that style was popular in the 80's and 90's. I have a set of those I use for winter wheels on my Buick. I use tuner style lug nuts on them, because like you said the hole clearance is tight to get to the lug nuts. I have to use a 4 way lug wrench/or socket to get the lug nuts off, because a stock lug wrench won't fit in the hole.
I'm seconding the tuner-style lug nuts.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
butternutaud

Post by butternutaud »

Thanks guys! Mystery solved. Now I need to decide whether to sell the rims get conventional ones or get a set of tuner lugnuts.