Byerscrew Vibe Garage

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
zbyers

Byerscrew Vibe Garage

Post by zbyers »

Hi All,

It's only taken me nearly 5 years of being on here to do this, but here's our garage! We currently own seven Vibes. Minus my two Vibes, and my brother's, the rest are totally stock.

Raven, '03GT
-270k miles.
-Tein Lowering Springs
-Progress RSB
-Projector Retrofit
Raven
Raven
8476.jpg (151.97 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
Picked her up in Aug. 2015 with 230k miles. Only things that have been replaced outside of brakes, tires, etc. are the front struts (just did those), clutch, axles at 240k in Oct. 2017. Otherwise she is all original. She's probably due for new ball joints soon.

Robyn, '07 Base
-180k miles
-Progress RSB
-Projector Retrofit
Robyn
Robyn
1 (105).jpg (436 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
She, too, is all original. Brought her home with 85k in Mar. 2014. I fixed a rust spot under the drivers seat. One of those body grommets was missing and it rotted through. She was in a minor accident in Feb. 2018 when someone ran a stop sign and dented in right above the gas fillers.

Neptune, '05 AWD
-160k miles (I think).

Mom's ride...She's all original too. What's unique about her is that she has the weird TPMS system as well as curtain airbags. However, the curtain air bags are in the front AND in the rear. I haven't been able to find much info on rear curtain airbags prior to the 2008 models. Thinking this was ordered by someone who requested them.

Mystic. '09 AWD
-I think around 90k on her now.

Dad's ride...Also all original, minus rear axle and bearing replacement. She's that weird Mystic Blue color that was only offered on the 2009 model which is part of the reason dad sprung for her.

Sol[ar]Vibe, '03 Base "Faux X 4
-260k miles
-Solar panel with auxiliary battery and isolator
-Crazy Russian strut spacers were installed

Brother's ride...Basically stock minus the above changes.

Ruby Ember, '04 Base
-180k miles.
-All stock.

Sister's ride so no fun changes.

Ray is AWD, '04 AWD
-No idea on miles. Brother bought it for his girlfriend. We replaced the rear subframe on it with one from an 2009 Vibe AWD or GT. Despite interchanges listing this as non-compatible, it fit with ZERO modifications or issues. Looks like NUMMI opted to utilize the same rear subframe design instead of investing the time and money to R&D a new one.

THE WHOLE FAM!
The Whole Fam
The Whole Fam
54.jpg (179.33 KiB) Viewed 10660 times
Last edited by zbyers on Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Re: Byerscrew Vibe Garage

Post by tpollauf »

Nice family pic of your fleet! ;) I too need to post my FOUR Vibes one of these days (03 Vibe GT 289K miles, 04 Vibe GT 117k miles, 09 GT manual 28k miles, 09 GT auto 105k miles)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Derf

Post by Derf »

Sweet, a fleet. :mrgreen:
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote:Nice family pic of your fleet! ;) I too need to post my FOUR Vibes one of these days (03 Vibe GT 289K miles, 04 Vibe GT 117k miles, 09 GT manual 28k miles, 09 GT auto 105k miles)
You could bring all 4 to GV '19. I am going to work with Nick and am trying to plan on doing GV '19 in/near Bradford since they have the Zippo/Case Museum, and it's not too far from 86 or whichever interstate connects over towards Olean and whatnot. I want to do a cruise from there to the Kinzua Bridge in Mount Jewett.
Derf wrote:Sweet, a fleet. :mrgreen:
We should buy stock in Toyota parts with as many as we have. :lol:

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

What a cool Vibe family!

Thanks a bunch for this info:
We replaced the rear subframe on it with one from an 2009 Vibe AWD or GT. Despite interchanges listing this as non-compatible, it fit with ZERO modifications or issues.
That is sure to help somebody out there.

Wait a minute! In only 4 years you did 100000 miles with Robyn?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

vibrologist wrote:What a cool Vibe family! Wait a minute! In only 4 years you did 100000 miles with Robyn?
Yessir! March will be 5 years of owning Robyn. The wife had a 100 mile round trip commute for college and she drove it there the whole time. We also did about 8000 miles last year when we went on our cross country road trip.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Just rolled over putting 100,000 miles on Robyn in just over 5 years of owning here.

The GT just rolled over 275,000 miles and is nearing retirement. She's got a bit of rot to fix, and developed an exhaust leak. I don't want to retire her, but I know her time is coming. Hopefully I can get another year or two at of her.

My brother just had his rocker panels replaced (local garage cut and welded). He paid...a lot...but hopefully is good for a little while. His car consumes about 1qt of oil ever 1500 miles so probably looking at an engine swap if he ever can save money.

Dad's 09 AWD just hit 105k miles. Mom's 05 AWD rolled over 175k I believe. and sister's has some unknown miles but is honestly in better shape than the rest of ours lol.

I painted my Celica wheels white and put them on the 07. What do you think?

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Goals :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

vibenvy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 pmGoals :D!
goals are to fix them. they're getting old. :cry:

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

The stable has gotten a little larger. In August of 2015, I purchased my 2003 GT with 230k miles on it. She is now at 280k miles and is ready for the retirement home. Car cancer is kicking her behind.

With my ’03 GT needing at least $2k in repairs, I set out looking for a new vehicle, and was even scouting out some TDI Sportwagens, Crosstreks, Frontiers, etc. At the end of the day, I really couldn’t sacrifice the cost per mile you get in the Vibes. Essentially, my ’03 GT I went ~25 miles for every dollar I paid for it. Really great value. Recently in my hunt, an ‘04 monotone Fusion GT popped up for sale.

Seeming too good to be true, I did a little internet research. True one-owner car with a mere 96k miles. Verified by the most recently dealer service when he advised it was serviced at 90k miles. Saturday, I departed bright and early to go see if this was a real deal. Six hours later, I arrived in Virginia where the car was located. The myth is true. It really did have only 96k miles on it! After taking it for a spin, we sealed the deal and I drove the 6 hours back home with no issues. Paying only $2500, the new-to-me Fusion GT is a heck of a steal.

I’ll be sticking around these forums for a while. Just hard to get ride that beats the value of the Vibe (especially a GT).

Last edited by zbyers on Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice. Looks very familiar though :o You paid less than what I did for a LOWER mileage Vibe GT with MORE options :cry: De-badged? I like your rims better PLUS you have the moons & tunes package!

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:40 pm Nice. Looks very familiar though :o You paid less than what I did for a LOWER mileage Vibe GT with MORE options :cry: De-badged? I like your rims better PLUS you have the moons & tunes package!

:lol: Thanks! Yeah, for some reason the doors are debadged, but not the hatch. I'd trade you wheels if you were closer. Yours look to be in much better shape then mine though.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Well, the majority of my “go fast” parts have been swapped over. The Tein S-Tech lowering springs provided about a 2.25” drop. Progress RSB stiffens up the rear end quite well. The (foggy) projector retrofit looks killer. And, probably the part that sets the look off the most, is the Mille Miglia Evo5 wheels powdercoated in a nice gunmetal gray. These are actually the rims that are on the Vibe GTR concept car.

Next up, I am picking up some leather interior from another member in the coming month(s). After that, some window tint all the way around. Once those are done, she is going to look great.

I did not realize how bad my ’03 GT rode, until I drove this. It was definitely time for the '03 GT to be retired. Also rolled over 96k miles on the new GT the other day. She has a small oil leak from what appears to be the timing chain tensioner and valve cover I will need to take care of. It's funny that my '03 GT didn't leak a drop, but sure did burn some. :lol:

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

zbyers wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:43 am She has a small oil leak from what appears to be the timing chain tensioner and valve cover I will need to take care of.
Wow. Our Fusion Vibe GT's actually do have something in common. Identical oil leaks !!! You'll have to let me know where exactly your leak is at. I'd bet it's the timing chain cover where the head/block meet. Keep me posted

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I recently picked up some leather seats from another member and installed those.

I also traded a spare hood for a short shifter and installed that.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I had a brainfart the other day when parking. Luckily the car is JUUSSSSTTT high enough to avoid the curb in this case.

Also not looking forward to this cold stuff coming, and I need to get the Fusion GT undercoated. Not sure if I should go with an oil undercoating, or one of the other rubberized? undercoatings.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I'd go with an oil undercoating. My 2014 Silverado will be getting it's semi-annual application of this stuff "Rust Chek". I too will do something under mine within the next month or so before the nasty weather gets here. Along with preserving the virgin underside (still hasn't seen snow/salt yet in it's 15 year life!) this is extremely clean under here and want to keep it that way for quite some time

Oh and don't make fun of my "redneck" oil leak pan. It's a temporary catch so that I don't drip oil everywhere I park. We'll see if it works for a few months. If so it will stay on there for a few years :lol:

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:19 am I'd go with an oil undercoating. My 2014 Silverado will be getting it's semi-annual application of this stuff "Rust Chek". I too will do something under mine within the next month or so before the nasty weather gets here. Along with preserving the virgin underside (still hasn't seen snow/salt yet in it's 15 year life!) this is extremely clean under here and want to keep it that way for quite some time [/quote/

Same with mine, mostly. It was a Baltimore car, so it saw some snow and salt, but not nearly as much as it'll be subjected to. I am probably going to try and find a gallon of fluid film and do it myself.
Oh and don't make fun of my "redneck" oil leak pan. It's a temporary catch so that I don't drip oil everywhere I park. We'll see if it works for a few months. If so it will stay on there for a few years :lol:
I actually don't mind this catch pan lol, I need one too. I haven't even been parking in my garage as I don't wanna stain the floor worse than it is!

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Wife was on her way to work on Saturday, and a deer decided to surprise her. She said she was doing about 45mph when it jumped out of the ditch into the car. Luckily(ish), it just shattered the headlight, and added some dents to the car. I stopped at the junk yard about 5 miles down the road on the way home and picked up a new headlight. Popped out the severe dents so the doors would open and windows would roll down. I am calling it good enough.

Projector was still fine!

Proof it was a deer!

The worst of the dents, which were hard to photograph.

Headlight was retrofitted and reinstalled within 4 hours of the accident.

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

That is very minor damage which is a good thing! Too bad you didn't take a bit of extra time to polish up the headlight housing while it was off the car :o I hit mine every three months or so (they go bad that quickly now that they're old!) with my DA polisher and takes only 5 minutes max!

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

...Facebook Marketplace can be a bad place lol. We found this fella for $500 right in town where we leave.

All it needs is a rear subframe, and a little bit of work on the rocker panels. Seller was quoted $2500 to find and replace the rear subframe.

We have already sourced a new one, and are working on tearing it apart in the garage. Will keep everyone posted as things progress. Hopefully within the next week or 2 we can have it on the road.

wagonis

Post by wagonis »

Nice find!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice. An AWD with moons & tunes, black, body panels look good! I thought I was bad at collecting Vibes (wife yells at me all the time) :o Mileage/year? I admire your determination and wish you success on this subframe swap. Take LOTS of pics so we all see what is involved. Good luck ;)

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:48 am Nice. An AWD with moons & tunes, black, body panels look good! I thought I was bad at collecting Vibes (wife yells at me all the time) :o Mileage/year? I admire your determination and wish you success on this subframe swap. Take LOTS of pics so we all see what is involved. Good luck ;)
It's an 05 AWD. I believe it has 150k or 170k miles. My wife isn't too happy with us either. :lol: I have been snapping pictures of the swap. I may not remember every little bolt or the size, but i'll have a rough guideline thrown together for it when we are done.

Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I kinda wish I could find something in that condition, to put together a spare car.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Bookworm wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:42 am I kinda wish I could find something in that condition, to put together a spare car.
That's basically our intention. Father-in-law is in need of a car at the moment, so we will give him our '07 since we know the condition of it. My wife will then drive this until we upgrade her to an SUV sometime this year.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Well, we ended up flipping that Black AWD Vibe. Mom wanted to keep it as a back up, but my brother didn't like her price. :lol:

In the interim, my sister decided her 03 didn't need oil. I haven't gotten the full story, but basically she apparently was two quarts low. So she added two quarts. Sometime after that, could have been a day or 4 months, she had to add two additional quarts. Then, sometime after that, at 1am, it sounded like marbles were dropped into the engine. No idea on the full story, but the engine sounds like trash. As such, we are in the midst of an engine swap on it.

I picked up a 1zz with about 105k miles on it (supposedly) from a junkyard when I was in Alabama last month. Put it in the back of the car, and brought it back here to PA. We removed the old one Saturday, and I am going to finish up prepping the replacement for install sometime this week and/or weekend.

KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

That is really cool that you can fit a Vibe motor in the back of a Vibe. PA to AL and back in a weekend is a good bit of travel as well.

Looks like you have a healthy amount of helpers. Good luck with your project and keep sending pictures..
2003 Base Vibe
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

KingKrab65 wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:04 am That is really cool that you can fit a Vibe motor in the back of a Vibe. PA to AL and back in a weekend is a good bit of travel as well.

Looks like you have a healthy amount of helpers. Good luck with your project and keep sending pictures..
You should be able to fit the motor and trans together in it. We had the motor, a chaise lounge, and a ton of baby gifts shoved in the back of the car on the way home. :D

We were down there for a week visiting family and a local yard had the engine. I wouldn't have gone to pick it up otherwise lol.

Between dad, my brother, and I, we are reasonably capable. Plus, I have a nice workshop for it. ;)

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Gotta love it !!!! :D A "rear engine" Vibe :lol: At least for a split moment that's exactly what it looked like. who says these little cars aren't workhorses. So where does the story begin with regards to your sister "neglecting" to take care of her Vibe? Is it a very high mileage car? Does she beat the S H I T out of it when driving (typical of some women drivers .... ah, married to one :roll: ) Just curious

Tear the defective engine apart when you get done so we can see ALL the damage. Good luck!

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:51 am Gotta love it !!!! :D A "rear engine" Vibe :lol: At least for a split moment that's exactly what it looked like. who says these little cars aren't workhorses. So where does the story begin with regards to your sister "neglecting" to take care of her Vibe? Is it a very high mileage car? Does she beat the S H I T out of it when driving (typical of some women drivers .... ah, married to one :roll: ) Just curious

Tear the defective engine apart when you get done so we can see ALL the damage. Good luck!
Honestly, I am not sure. Car isn't that high mileage-- about 190k miles. No idea on the neglect. We typically maintain it, but she last had wally world change the oil last. It wasn't leaking from the drain plug, and doesn't appear to have been leaking from the filter, so I'm not sure. Will definitely post some pictures of the old engine once I get the garage cleaned up.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Sorry for the delayed update. We undertook the engine swap a few weeks ago. Surprisingly, didn't take that many pictures of it. :lol:

TL;DR: engine swap went great, smoother than expected. Upon completion of install, it ran like absolute crap. Turns out, we missed the VERY important brake booster to intake manifold vacuum line when hooking it back up. Without that, you'll misfire on all cylinders and have ZERO brakes. Once we hooked it up, car ran great!

Removal was pretty straightforward, honestly. Basically: remove battery, air intake, serp belt, unbolt AC compressor and PS pump (leave hooked up to vehicle). Then, follow the main wire harness from the fuse box, all the way across the vehicle to the passenger side undoing all of the electrical connectors. Probably like 20 or so. You can then leave the harness over the passenger side of the car. Undo the various vacuum lines, starter, etc.

If the car is automatic, remove the inspection cover and undo the torque converter to flywheel bolts. Do not lose the washers (inside of trans). At this point, you can unbolt the front mount thru-bolt, the passenger mount bolt(s), and the rear mount thru-bolt.

Get your engine hoist ready, and then you have 6 bolts holding engine to trans. Undo them, and the bad boy should come out. We pulled the engine in about 6 hours (taking our time as it was our first adventure)

Then I took several days between work and cleaned up the junkyard engine I picked up...New valve cover gasket, plugs, oil change. Degreased it (so we can see if it leaks). Install took dad and I probably 5 hours. As noted in my TL;DR version, we only missed hooking up a vac line upon completion of install. No extra parts, no missing parts, and everything runs great! Was a fun adventure with my dad and brother, and not as bad as some make it out to be. Hardest part was getting the engine and trans to connect on the dowel pins it has.

zbyers

Post by zbyers »

So it's been a little while since I have updated. As of a month or so ago, we still have the entire fleet of Vibes, however, two are on their way out of commission due to rust. The one we recently engine swapped, has a lot of rust on the seams of the floor pan and won't pass inspection again, so it'll get gone some day. My brother has an '03 that is also extremely rusty, and burns as much oil as gas, so he is going to get rid of it next year.

In anticipation of that, my brother has picked up an '06 CRV. Runs good, rides good, and a little bigger than the Vibe.

My wife's '07 is getting rusty, so we picked her up an '04 CRV. I will be driving the '07 for a while to keep miles off of my '04 GT (107k miles right now). I've contemplated selling the '04 GT, but I am not sure I can bring myself to do it haha.