Slybee's 06 Matrix XRS

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Slybee

Slybee's 06 Matrix XRS

Post by Slybee »

Hey all, not a Vibe owner but we all know the story between the Vibe and Matrix. I actually want a 03 Vibe GT but one car is enough.

So I've been a long lurker of Gen Vibe since I got my Matrix since it seems you folks actually have more info than Matrix Owners and Corolla9. That and over the past year both forums have been slow and gives sketchy redirects so they're both no longer really safe to browse.

Anyways I have a 06 Matrix XRS. Right now just bolt on stuff. Injen CAI, Greddy DTM, ECU reflash so my lift is at 5800 and redline 8500, and 05/06 Corolla XRS front bucket seats (my interior has the same green centers so it all matches), Koni Oranges for a 03-08 Corolla, Tein S-Techs, and 18x9.5 Advan RG-D.

Currently I'm doing work to fit a 03 XRS/Vibe gauge cluster. Its actually 95% PNP, just the fuel gauge reistances I am seeking as it read empty when I had half a tank. I'm also gathering parts to do a 2.5 cat back exhaust with Vibrant components. The muffler came in yesterday and I need to order more parts still.
Last edited by Slybee on Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpollauf

Re: Slybee's 06 Matrix XRS

Post by tpollauf »

Nice first post ;) Oh, and welcome to GenVibe :D As a non Facebooker (yeah I show my age there) I'm glad that this forum is still fairly active and extremely packed with useful tips for our Vibes. Facebook definitely cut into the activity here but I think we'll survive and be around for quite a while. Glad you joined up with us. Stick around for the long haul and get involved!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Slybee

Post by Slybee »

Thanks! Yeah the Facebook groups to me are okay for some things, but for most things I prefer the forums, especially when it comes to build logging and technical stuff. I'd hope to stick around, as this board always had info I needed.

So as far as my gauge cluster project, with mine being an 06 it has the red and white gauges and the lettering is kinda vanilla. I just prefer the 2003 gauges that are all red and slightly slanted :lol: . The red is easier on the eyes at night and to me it just looks sporty. I also plan to invert the polarization of the odometer lcd.

So I bought a Canadian XRS/GT 2003 cluster, as seen here. I have the factory diagrams for a 2004 and 2006 Matrix and the cluster is actually mostly plug and play across all years and trims. The main difference is the OD Off pinout for autos are different and I have a fuel level issue. Probably due to the change in tank design from 04 to 05.

I actually plan on swapping the 8 pin IC to transfer my mileage and stuff over. But I feel like dabbling into the cluster programming to see if I can get it to display over 300k.

So here it is installed for testing, along with my original. It all works fine minus the fuel gauge. I'm just having a hard time finding the resistance values for the gauge to make it compatible.

ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Welcome to genvibe!

Interesting that you chose a Canadian gauge cluster that has the k/ph speedo and k odo. It seems that you are US based...

Please report back if you figure out a hack for the odo to go past 299,999. Nobody has a way around this other than dealer resetting and adding 300K. It will come sooner for you with the metric odo ;)
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Slybee

Post by Slybee »

Well, finding a 03 XRS/GT cluster is actually kinda hard. I do have a US spec one on the way along with another red/white one I intend on testing on. So 4 clusters total I'll have once they all arrive.

But I may use the Canadian cluster with it programmed for MPH, the speedo looks cool :lol: .

In other news I received my 2.5" Vibrant Street Power Muffler, the Oval bodied one. Got it from Amazon warehouse deals for $55 with free shipping. A friend of mine got this same muffler installed today on his 9the gen Corolla XRS. He retained both cats and went 2.5 all the way back with no resonator. We were both unsure how loud it would be, but to my surprise it's really mellow. The tone is similar to having the rear muffler unbolted, but with no interior drone, not as loud and overall a cleaner sound. I may install mine early 2018 as I still need other parts.