Kory's 2004 Vibe Base Auto

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Iceman4193

Kory's 2004 Vibe Base Auto

Post by Iceman4193 »

Year: 2004
Engine: Base 1ZZ-FE
Miles: 128k and counting
Transmission: Automatic 2WD
Color: Orange
Owned Since: Oct 2016
Purchased From: Local Dealership w/116k miles
Paid: $4000

Work done by dealer:
- Spark Plugs (Used the wrong ones)
- CV Axle
- Pass Side Mirror
- Starter
- Belt Tensioner and Belt

Work done by me:
- O2 Sensors
- Throttle Body gasket
- Intake Man gasket
- Headlights
- Interior to LED swap
- Spark plugs
- Assorted filters and routine maintenance
- Gas Cap Replaced
- MAF Cleaned
- Installed Pioneer AVH3800 head unit.

Ongoing issues:
- Rough idle when up to temperature (Closed Loop Operation)
- Rattling coming from glove compartment area
- Intermittent CEL with code P0456 (Usually not on but pops on from time to time)
- Gradual drop in MPG (Probably related to idle issue)

Will Edit and update as problems pop up or are solved.
Last edited by Iceman4193 on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Re: Kory's 2004 Vibe Base Auto

Post by Iceman4193 »

So I will just post a reply for each of the issues I am having and let you guys know what I have done so far to try to solve them.
First is the idle problem which is of biggest concern.

Basically, when the car gets up to temp and the idle drops and it enters closed loop operation, the idle gets very shaky.
No codes, no smells or indications of issues I can see.

So far I have tried replacing the O2 sensors with denso O2 sensors, cleaning the MAF, changing the air filter, checking for vacuum leaks using a benzomatic torch and using the gas to find leaks, changing the TB and intake manifold gaskets, replacing the PCV, and changing the spark plugs.

I did accidentally get the plugs for the GT model but they are Denso IR plugs with the same gap. SK20R11 rather than the SK16R11 they are supposed to be. Will that cause any issues or is that ok? They are installed and I cant return them so if it is all the same i'll just leave them in.

I can't find any vacuum leaks and after changing the plugs and O2 sensors I am out of ideas here.

What do you guys think?
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

There is some sort of metallic sounding rattle that comes from around the glove box area. I can't seem to find where it is coming from even after taking out the glove box and looking around in there.

It is usually not too loud while driving highway speeds, however when I hit 73 miles an hour exactly with cruise control it gets very loud then stops once I pass or drop below that speed. Very strange and I can't find the source.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

CEL P0456 pops on from time to time which I understand is a minor EVAP leak. I changed the gas cap and I make sure I tighten it all the way.
It is not on most of the time but will occasionally pop up.

Only thing I have noticed is that the blue VSV near the cruise control module on the drivers side of the engine bay tends to make a fairly audible clicking noise. Not sure if that is leaking or not working properly but they are fairly expensive and I am not sure how to test one before replacing it.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

P0456:
Check the hoses and the canister of the Evap system. They may be brittle and leaky.

Possible causes
Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Metallic rattle related to the Cruise Control:

Actually I don't have experience with this. Just make sure you do not confuse this noise with the noise of a defective recirculation motor. Turning recirc on and off will make the noise come and go if it is the recirc motor.

If it is the CC motor look for a used one in the junk yards. They have pretty low failure rates.
Last edited by vibrologist on Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Get the proper plugs for this engine. The 2ZZ engine (GT) has higher compression and high octane requirements and this is one reason it has different plugs. It could possible a source for your idle issue.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

vibrologist wrote:P0456:
Check the hoses and the canister of the Evap system. They may be brittle and leaky.

Possible causes
Missing or loose fuel cap
Incorrect fuel filler cap used
Fuel filler cap remains open or fails to close
Foreign matter caught in fuel filler cap
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) canister or fuel tank leaks
Evaporative Emission (EVAP) system hose leaking
Fuel tank leaking

I need to find a layout of the evap system to see what hoses go where and what components are involved. I am sure it is likely an old hose or something but I am not too sure where to start looking.
If you know of any threads covering the EVAP system and can link me that would be great. I will also take a peak around myself as well.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

vibrologist wrote:Metallic rattle related to the Cruise Control:

Actually I don't have experience with this. Just make sure you do not confuse this noise with the noise of a defective recirculation motor. Turning recirc on and off will make the noise come and go if it is the recirc motor.

If it is the CC motor look for a used one in the junk yards. They have pretty low failure rates.
I heard the recirc motor tends to make noise and I tried cycling it which made no change.
I am think it is likely a piece of trim or a small bracket that is loose somewhere but I have not been able to find it yet.

Why it is related to cruise control and is more noticeable at a certain speed, I do not know.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

vibrologist wrote:Get the proper plugs for this engine. The 2ZZ engine (GT) has higher compression and high octane requirements and this is one reason it has different plugs. It could possible a source for your idle issue.
The idle issue was before the plug change. I just changed them recently and I noticed that the part number on the plug was just slightly off from the one in the manual.
However, Since it is for the GT that runs higher octane, I believe if there is any real difference between the plugs, it is that the ones for the GT are slightly hotter burning than the base engine for the higher ignition temperatures of higher octane gas. The gap is the same and as long as the spark is hot enough to ignite the fuel it should not cause an issue.
The installed and recommended plugs are both DENSO Iridium so I will see if I notice a difference and if I do, ill spend another 30 bucks on new plugs.
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Here is a partial evap diagram I found on the web. It should not be too hard to identify something and following the hoses and wires.
vibe evap.png
vibe evap.png (80.9 KiB) Viewed 3121 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

collins92

Post by collins92 »

vibrologist wrote:Get the proper plugs for this engine. The 2ZZ engine (GT) has higher compression and high octane requirements and this is one reason it has different plugs. It could possible a source for your idle issue.
One guy here got the same issue, definitely the proper plugs will make a difference on idling.
Iceman4193

Post by Iceman4193 »

New Issue, Parasitic Battery Draw from Dome 15A Fuse.
So I have been having an issue with my battery ending up dead after it sitting for a little bit. I figure it is a parasitic draw because I got the battery and Alt checked at auto zone and they said it is fine. The battery is fairly new as well. I did a current test and found that while off, the car is drawing 0.25A with the Dome 15A fuse in and almost none with it out. This is with the doors closed and all lights off.
So far I checked a lot of the things that the fuse controls like taking out the dome lights, unplugging the radio, unplugging the rear defrost button and the hazard button, and so far none have worked. Looking at a fuse diagram, there are a few things that it could be left but they are tough to get to.
Looking for any suggestions if there is a common thing that tends to cause issues.

Here is what the fuse covers:
Interior Lights, Gauges and Meters, Audio System, Remote Keyless Entry System
2004 Pontiac Vibe
Automatic
130k+ Miles