Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
53Bowtie

Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Post by 53Bowtie »

Hi All!

Figured I would go ahead and start a thread to document the work I do to my newly acquired 2009 base model (Jo-Jo). This is mainly for my benefit to "store" modifications and maintenance work but I hope to get input and feedback along the way from the community. Who knows, maybe I will end up doing something no one has done before adding some benefit to the community before it is all said and done.

So first, here is a quick pic......

She had just under 136,500 miles when I picked her up a few weeks back. Mechanically, not in the best shape but also not in the worst shape either. First order of business is to get the car running and driving in tip top shape as she will be my daily so that I can focus my truck on more "weekend warrior" duties.

Let the work begin.......
Last edited by 53Bowtie on Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

Josey (Jo-Jo) - 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L Base, 139k and counting (Daily)
James - 2002 Reg Cab Silverado, few mods (Race Truck)
53Bowtie

Re: Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Post by 53Bowtie »

First things first......the engine oil and transmission oil looked about the same, both a greyish color. To clean those up I have a two step plan.......

The first step has been implemented and consisted of the following:
- Change engine oil with Valvoline MaxLife 5w20
- Add Rislone engine treatment with new oil
- Change engine oil filter
- Drain transmission pan and refill with Valvoline MaxLife ATF
- Change engine air filter
- Add BG Products CF5 fuel treatment in gas tank

My plan is to run this for between 500-1000 miles allowing the Rislone to fully circulate and trap any gunk in the oil filter. Right now I have about ~600 miles on her since this work was completed so may do step 2 next weekend or the weekend after depending on "new house chores".

I filled up with fuel shortly after doing step one and calculated 27.79mpg. Not bad to me considering my truck gets about 10mpg. But I knew she could do better due to reports from others that ~30mpg is attainable even in winter months. At the second fill up I calculated 29.91mpg which is the first full tank with the step one work completed. Much better! I think things are starting to clean up nicely on the inside :D
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Just dropped Jo-Jo off at the dealership yesterday to take care of the current issued recalls. Apparently none of them had been taken care of prior to my purchasing her. The dealership took care of three recalls:

1) Drivers airbag clock spring
2) Drivers window switch
3) Drivers floor mat securing

Although these where the only three recalls that came up on their VIN search I remember my search returning another recall for a freezing brake booster line when in cold weather. I am not sure why this recall didn't come up on their search. Maybe it has expired after so many years? Not sure. As I understand the recall was simply to modify the existing brake booster line. Does anyone have a picture of their modified line or know what needs to be done to satisfy the recall? I will just do the work myself if I can get some information......

Thanks!
Thomas

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Recall 09199 - Loss of power brake assist in extreme cold weather
Part required, one 19205281

https://repairpal.com/recall/09V392000

Also check the cabin air filter, it's hidden behind the glovebox and its probably been ignored on your Vibe given it's shape.
2009 Vibe Base
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

MacGyver wrote:Recall 09199 - Loss of power brake assist in extreme cold weather
Part required, one 19205281

https://repairpal.com/recall/09V392000

Also check the cabin air filter, it's hidden behind the glovebox and its probably been ignored on your Vibe given it's shape.
Thanks for the part number Mac! I will change the cabin air filter when I do step 2 for my engine/transmission "flush" :D
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

So finally had some time this past weekend to do Step 2 of my engine/transmission "flush". Here is what I did:

- Engine oil change = AMSOil OE Synthetic 5w20
- Engine oil additive = BG MOA
- Engine oil filter = NAPA Gold
- Transmission fluid change = AMSOil ATF Synthetic specifically for Toyota/GM/etc.
- Transmission fluid additive = BG ATC
- Transmission fluid filter = NAPA Parts
- Fuel additive = BG CF5

The transmission fluid was not quite as nasty as when I did the first drain 800ish miles ago but the filter was atrocious. Remains to be seen if any permanent damage has been done but I am hoping not. With the new filter and second round of new fluid it shifts MUCH smoother to the point where you can't even feel the 1-2 shift anymore (prior it almost felt like it had a shift kit installed). I assume this is because the line pressure was higher due to all the sludge and stuff in the system.

Anyway, excited to see if there is an improvement in driving and mpg......

Next on the list is spark plugs and brakes all the way around once I get another freeish weekend......
Last edited by 53Bowtie on Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Well I had some time this past weekend to do the spark plugs and brakes along with new inner fender liners.

Decided to go with NGK laser iridium plugs (had the original Denso plugs in it).

Went with Raybestos Hybrid brake pads and their Premium rotors along with their caliper pin kits all around. The old brakes were cooked and the drivers front inner and passenger rear inner were all the way down to the backing plate.

Also replaced both front inner fender liners due to the drivers side one flying off going down the highway and the passenger side one falling off enough for the tire to rub a hole in it. Having a heck of a time finding the correct plastic push-pins to get them completely secured (if anyone has any part numbers or sources to buy in bulk that would be great!).

Feels like a different care now! Didn't realize how much the brakes were dragging during normal driving I guess. Definitely much quieter and "easier" to accelerate and hold speed. I love this car!!
Thomas

collins92

Post by collins92 »

Sounds a fun project. Just subscribing.
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

collins92 wrote:Sounds a fun project. Just subscribing.
Thanks! Nothing too exciting, just trying to get her up to speed for daily driving duty. I think she is about there! Figured it couldn't hurt to document my progress as it may benefit someone in the future.....

All the exciting stuff happens on my 2002 Silverado that I tinker on and drag race with occasionally :D
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

So, back from the dead! Had a bit of a break with any updates as we moved into a new house the first part of this year. Now that we are settled I can get back to working on the car. Now that the engine, transmission and brakes are serviced its time to look at some fun modifications. Here is what I have planned for upgrading the sound system.....

Head Unit: Alpine 9833 w/built-in active crossovers and time alignment
Front A-Pillars: Hybrid Audio Technologies L1v2 tweeters
Front Doors: Hybrid Audio Technologies L6 mid-range
Rear Doors: Silver Flute 6.5 mid-bass
Subwoofer: Dayton Audio Ultimax 15" Ported at ~30Hz
Amplifier 1: Digital Designs D5.1000 5 channel
Amplifier 2: Massive Audio NX2 2 channel
Sound Control: KnuKonceptz sound deadener, Sound Deadener Showdown CCF
Wiring: Various Name Brands - 1/0ga. OFC power/ground, 14-18ga. speakers, 8ga. subwoofer
Battery: Undecided name brand, speced for a 2.4L AWD
Alternator: Undecided name brand

A couple questions I have for the community:

1) What AGM battery have you had the best luck with? What brand/where did you buy?
2) Anyone upgraded to a HO alternator? What brand/where did you buy?

Thanks for the help guys/gals! Pics to follow as progress is made (may be a bit slow as I am really only working on it on the weekends).....
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

Where do you plan to mount the amplifiers? A Mechman alternator should take care of your needs? Where is your 15" subwoofer box going to go?
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

pakong wrote:Where do you plan to mount the amplifiers? A Mechman alternator should take care of your needs? Where is your 15" subwoofer box going to go?
Amps will be mounted in the cargo tray under the smaller floor panel closer to the rear seats. The sub box is going in the back cargo area.

I looked at Mechman but its $$ and I really don't need 240a.....anyone ever heard of or tired these guys out?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282116119301?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thinking of giving them a try as the alternator is about half the price of others.......
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

53Bowtie wrote:
pakong wrote:Where do you plan to mount the amplifiers? A Mechman alternator should take care of your needs? Where is your 15" subwoofer box going to go?
Amps will be mounted in the cargo tray under the smaller floor panel closer to the rear seats. The sub box is going in the back cargo area.

I looked at Mechman but its $$ and I really don't need 240a.....anyone ever heard of or tired these guys out?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282116119301?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thinking of giving them a try as the alternator is about half the price of others.......
I used this alternator and it has worked fine but they recommended that the cables be changed or replaced.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2010-Toyot ... 2749.l2649
I don't have a way to confirm output. I did use 0 Gauge power and battery ground but I imtend to finish my Big three upgrade on the long weekend. The BNR seems fine. https://youtu.be/7UNkE2j26Sg
I piggy backed 0 AWG on the cable from the alternator to the battery. In retrospect, 2 AWG would have been enough.
pakong

Post by pakong »

That cable is 48 inches in case you were wondering. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-0-AWG-0-Gauge ... 2749.l2649
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Looks good man! Thanks for the link to the alt. I think I may give the 160 a try otherwise I will have to spend big money for a 200a+ unit. I am also planning to do the big three with 0 ga. as that is what I will also be running to the back of the car for the two amps.

Thanks again!
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Here is a pic of the speakers (minus the sub of course), the deck and misc. install accessories. Still waiting on the amps, hoping they get here by the weekend so I can make some progress mounting them and running power and ground. Will also look at doing the big three this weekend as well hopefully....

Last edited by 53Bowtie on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

So plans have changed a bit and I have some progress to share finally.

I have decided to get rid of my 6.5" silver flutes that I was going to install in the rear doors for extra midbass. My plan now is to see what I can do to make a set of 8" Peerless SLS midbass fit :D

Also, I think I have talked myself into getting a digital sound processor (DSP) this go around to have more tuning capabilities. This will slow down my progress a bit due to needing to save up a bit more to purchase everything.

However, I did have some time last night to install the "big 3" along with some new battery terminals and the short run from the battery to the main fuse for my amps. I may install a fuse in the alt wire at a latter time but didn't have one on hand last night. On to the pics......

Don't mind the battery, it will be replaced shortly with an AGM version ;)
Last edited by 53Bowtie on Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Your photo hosting provider has decided to suspend your account. You can upload pictures here if they are 130kb in size maximum.
2009 Vibe Base
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

MacGyver wrote:Your photo hosting provider has decided to suspend your account. You can upload pictures here if they are 130kb in size maximum.
Unfortunate. Photobucket has apparently just decided to not allow linking or 3rd party hosting for free. Looks like its time to find another site......
Thomas

53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Pictures fixed for now!
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

Where are you posting your pictures now? What ground cables did you replace?
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

pakong wrote:Where are you posting your pictures now? What ground cables did you replace?
I moved my pics over to DropShots. I am not a photographer so I literally only use the service to post pictures to forums. DropShots seemed to be the most "stripped down" site for photo sharing without all the photo edit options although I think you can pay for those features.

As for the ground, I removed the two factory ground wires that go from the battery negative to the body and from the body to the transmission. I then ran two new 0 ga wires from the transmission to the battery negative and from the body to the battery negative. Still trying to decide if I will run a ground from the battery negative directly to my amps or attempt to ground through the body. I have always grounded through the body in the past with no problems but with having moved up north I am worried about the body as a "good" ground the more it rusts over the years.....
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

What did the transmission cable measure? There is also a ground at the alternator to the body. You'll need to lift the plastic cover straight up. I am using a 14 inch run there. I grounded my amp to the tie down bolts after removing some paint. I could not get speaker wires through the rubber boot on the front door and for the back doors, you'll need to mess with the molex connector in the door pillar. I ran speaker wire all the way to the head unit harness and tied it in there. If you figure out how to get the wire through the doors, please let us know and post pictures if you can.
Paul
Final placement of the crossover was above and forward of the woofer.
surface mounted tweeters
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Hey thanks for the info on the third ground! I will look at replacing that this weekend. I am not sure how long the ground is for the transmission as I didn't measure it. I can try though. It is shorter than the factory ground wire because I routed it more directly.

I will definitely let you know about the speaker wires. I haven't had a vehicle yet that I couldn't run the wires though the factory boot so hoping this is no different. Sounds like it may be a pain though. Crossing my fingers.....
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

Good luck! :D
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Hi All, time for an update!

Had some time this weekend to work on the car a bit. Was hoping to get a bit more done but progress is progress!

I was able to get the passenger side front door completely done (as in won't have to open it back up again for a looooong time.....I hope!)......

First step after removing the door panel is removing the factory speaker by drilling out the three rivets that hold it in place:

Next, I traced out the large openings in the door onto the rain shield. This will be used to cut out the ABS plastic shapes to cover the large holes:

Then I cleaned the inner and outer door skins with simple green and a micro fiber towel to remove as much dirt and grime as possible to allow the material to adhere to the metal securely:

Next, I shoved some butyl rope in between the door brackets and bars attached to the outer door skin:

Next, I applied CLD tiles to the outer door skin:

Next, I decided to run new speaker wire through the factory rubber door loom. First I pulled the kick panel and unplugged the wires going into the door. This allowed me to pull the entire rubber loom out so it is easier to work with:

I then worked the new wire backward through the rubber loom from the door side. Conveniently, there is a small hole in the factory rubber loom that the wire slides nicely through so the factory tape doesn't have to be removed:

Next, simply reinstall the rubber loom into the door and body making sure to line up the arrows to point upward:

Now its time to cut the ABS plastic to fill the large holes in the door. First, I cut pieces of cardboard using the rain shield pieces I cut earlier. This acts as a more accurate representation of how the ABS will fit and allows for easy trimming:

Once the ABS pieces are cut, I stuck butyl rope around the back edge and used sheet metal screws to secure them in place. Any gaps that weren't covered by the plastic due to the contour of the door I stuffed with additional butyl tape:

Next was making the speaker mount. Luckily, the person I bought the speakers from sent MDF speaker rings with them so I decided to use those. To make the MDF more resistant to moisture I first applied several coats of MINWAX Wood Hardener to strengthen and stiffen the wood. Use a lot because the MDF is VERY absorbent.....I nearly used the entire can on just the two rings:

FYI, don't use plastic Solo cups to hold the wood hardener lol......

I then put several coats of black plasti-dip on the rings to further protect them. I then drilled 4 counter sunk holes to mount the ring to the door:

Mounted to the door with butyl rope.....

I then mounted the speaker to the ring using foam tape. I also put two layers of foam tape on the top of the speaker to direct the sound out of the door rather than have it bleed into the inner door panel:

Next, I cut up 2 more CLD tiles and stuck them in various places on the inner door skin:

Next, I took the rain shield and used it as a template to cut out the MLV sound barrier to cover the door similar to where the rain shield would have gone. Slits must be cut for wires and such to run through as well. I attached the MLV to the inner door skin using double sided sticky velcro:

Next, I used the door panel itself as a template to cut out the CCF to decouple the door panel from the door itself. I trimmed the CCF to fit inside the door and around the door panel clips and various wires and such:

All that's left now is to reinstall the door panel. Everything went smoothly EXCEPT, now with the added layers of sound deadening, MLV and CCF the right side of the door panel was not quite going all the way flush and the clips were not strong enough to hold it onto the door. So, I had to add a screw to hold the door panel flush to the door:

And that's it! Lots of time spent on just one door but I am confident it will make a difference in sound quality and mid bass output. I will of course follow the same process on the drivers side door the next available weekend :D
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

Jo-jo, that's very nice work that you've done there. I think you system will be great considering your attention to detail. I had no idea that the rubber boot would have removes that easily. I make go back and revise my installation. The rear door speakers will require molex terminals to get into the door. I can't wait to see your pictures. Thanks for sharing. :D
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

Hi Pakong, thanks for the kind words! Hoping to do the drivers door sometime soon. I got the amp mounted under the rear floor panel but didn't get any pics yet. I will try to take some this weekend. Still need to run power and ground to it from the battery and upgrade that third ground cable you pointed out by the alternator (maybe that will be the project for this weekend).....

I decided not to do anything to the rear doors at this time as I currently do not have a way to digitally process them to provide the correct amount of rear fill so as to not take away from my staging in the front. I may revisit in the future if I ever buy a DSP to play around with. For now I will just run a 2 way active front stage + sub using my Alpine deck for the time alignment and eq duties. On that note, I will be swapping out my HAT L1v2 tweeters for either some HAT L1 Pro tweeters or HAT L3/4 midrange to better pair with my HAT L6 in the doors (the L1v2 tweeters I have are really designed for a three way setup) in a 2 way alignment. Probably buy whichever one I can find a good deal on first.....
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

So you removed the donut? I'm actually considering doing the same thing because I'm long drives, my amp overheats in its present location. I didn't want to but I don't think I have a choice.
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

pakong wrote:So you removed the donut? I'm actually considering doing the same thing because I'm long drives, my amp overheats in its present location. I didn't want to but I don't think I have a choice.
No, I didn't remove the spare tire. I mounted the amp under the smaller floor panel just behind the back seat......where the openings are for child seat anchor attachment. I will get some pics tonight and post them. It is a pretty tight space and required some trimming of the plastic "container" to get the amp to fit......

*Edited to show pictures*

Here is the amp mounted.....

And here is how I plan to run the wires (red = 12v power, white = 12v ground, green = speaker wire and RCA cables).....

The intent is to run the power down the drivers side of the vehicle and the speaker wire/RCA cables down the passenger side of the vehicle to minimize or eliminate them ever interacting with each other......
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

Sweet fit on the amp. I can't remember why I didn't mount mine there but I did use one of those tie down bolts as a ground after removing some paint.
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

pakong wrote:Sweet fit on the amp. I can't remember why I didn't mount mine there but I did use one of those tie down bolts as a ground after removing some paint.
Thanks! Most amps will not fit in this location as it is a maximum of 5" wide. However, with the increased development in Class D technology many manufacturers, including Digital Designs, are taking advantage of the higher efficiency allowing them to create some high output, small foot print amps. This 5 channel amp is only 15" x 5" x 2" but has 130A of fusing which equals about 1,755 watts of output assuming 13.5v input (really good electrical). To me that is just insane to get that much power out of such a small footprint. I am a fan for sure!
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

I've heard that class d amps create reception problems. I haven't wired mine to mu 5 channel amp so I can't confirm. On long drives my amp gets so hot that I can smell it and I turn off the radio. I'm trying to solve that before I wire up the other channels.
53Bowtie

Post by 53Bowtie »

pakong wrote:I've heard that class d amps create reception problems. I haven't wired mine to mu 5 channel amp so I can't confirm. On long drives my amp gets so hot that I can smell it and I turn off the radio. I'm trying to solve that before I wire up the other channels.
Class D used to not be very suitable for anything but subwoofer duties due to its inability to produce higher frequencies at lower distortion (leading to the reception problems I think your referring to). However, class D technology has advanced immensely to allow for full frequency range reproduction with relatively low distortion. Will class D be as clean and clear as a class AB? Probably not, but I don't suspect I would be able to tell much difference as I am not going to be competing in an SQ events.

Aside from the footprint, the electrical load is the exact reason I wanted to go class D as well. Class D is much more efficient than class AB and the like so it runs much cooler and puts less strain on the electrical system. This will allow me to get away with a "smaller" electrical system and hopefully avoid overheating issues under the floor panel in the back. We shall see....

If your amp is getting that hot you definitely want to figure out why quickly. Even class AB will get warm to the touch but if you start smelling something that is too hot.....usually due to a bad ground connection, terminal crimp connection, insufficient voltage supply, etc.
Thomas

pakong

Post by pakong »

I suspect it's because I'm running my sub at 1 ohm presently. It only gets that hot on long drives. 4-6 hour drives.