Steve41337 2006 AWD

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Steve41337

Steve41337 2006 AWD

Post by Steve41337 »

Proud new used Vibe owner earlier this week! Decided I wanted a relatively low-mileage WHITE 2006 to 2008 Vibe with Sunroof and automatic transmission. So let the search begin! Looked locally and nearby large cities before launching an exhaustive search across the continental U.S. using the internet. The final choice was easy and I had my new used vehicle shipped 1,550 miles right to my front door (well, not exactly; how about shipped to the street in front of my house :D ).

Upon unloading the vehicle started right up. Idled 15 minutes while I paid the driver and took care of the necessary paperwork. Then I took her for a spin and within 10 minutes she was stalling and I barely got her home before refusing to start at all. I then changed the plugs, added sea-foam to the gas tank because it had been sitting for 4 months, removed the alternator and had it tested. It seemed I had spark, fuel, and air so she should run. Before returning to work the next day had her towed to my mechanic who fixed her up pronto with a new fuel pump. All is well now!

What I Have
* 2006 White Vibe AWD
* 105,000 miles on the Odo
* Power Sun Roof Tilt and Slide
* Tinted Glass and rain guards on side windows
* Fog Lights
* Came with two brand new tires on the front and two almost new tires on the rear
* Some minor body dings and scratches
* No Rust
* Exceptionally Clean and New Inside
* Overall somewhere between Good and Very Good Condition

What's Wrong
* Fuel Pump (now replaced)
* Radio Display Light does not work although the radio is fully functional (but cannot see what station you're listening to)
* Dome Light still does not work after replacing the bulb. (unlikely a bad fuse would effect the dome light but not the map light)
* No other known issues or problems (runs and drives like a dream)

Future Upgrades
* 16" OEM Alloy Rims
* Double Din Touch Screen Radio with Rear Cam (with Apple CarPlay)
* Looking for one continuous piece of carpet or rubber mat to cover the entire cargo area when rear seats are folded forward
* Cross Bars for the roof rack
* Possibly have it repainted to correct a few minor dings and scratches.

And finally this last picture is the reason I did not search for anything newer than a 2008. No rim or lip to load heavy equipment into the cargo area. Also it appears the 2009 and newer also have narrower rear access. And of course we all love how the rear seats fold forward completely level with the rear cargo area. I'm a contractor and I expect this vehicle will be a workhorse and allow me to keep my 1991 Dodge Cummins Diesel resting in the shade except for the times I need the larger truck work capacity. Plan on leaving the rear seats folded forward on nearly a permanent basis except for those times I may fold them up to carry a 3rd or 4th passenger. As mentioned I would like to find or fabricate a custom fit matt the covers the entire cargo area when the seats are folded forward.

I would have preferred FWD for the better fuel economy but this was the best I could do giving the limited time I gave myself to find my vehicle. After paying for the vehicle, shipping, and fuel pump replacement my total cost is $4,750 for a low mileage single owner vehicle. I couldn't be happier! My plan was to be into it for $4,350 but I did not expect to have "no start" issues right off the delivery truck and if I did not have to get back to work I would have diagnosed the fuel pump myself and made the swap to keep my total out of pocket to $4,500. Dealers in my local area are getting $7,000 + for a Vibe this nice (and at the moment no white ones with sunroofs).
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:18 am, edited 10 times in total.
2006 Two-Tone Frosty AWD with Sunroof
Purchased June 2016 in Loxley AL
Steve41337 Tucson Arizona :D
MacGyver

Re: Steve41337 2006 AWD

Post by MacGyver »

Congrats on the purchase! I too prefer the 1st gen trunk deck and opening for loading and unloading stuff, but I got a ridiculous deal on a 2nd gen, so I'll have to suck it up. :P

Do both dome lights not work or only one?

I changed my 2009 dome light out to LED, and to do so I removed the lens with a jeweler's screwdriver, then removed the entire dome light housing by releasing two tabs in opposite corners. I had to do some cutting and drilling of the housing with a utility knife to get the LED module to fit and run the wires around. Once you have it out, you can disconnect it from a power plug and then test for 12V. The switch mechanism on the dome light can sometimes pop out and lose contact with the metal conductors or the surface switch, so I would check that first.
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

Hi MacGyver, TY for the welcome and your helpful comments. Only the lamp in the center of the dome is not working (the one that can be set to work when the car door is open). The map light in the forward cab does work.

I will put a meter on it to check for voltage (I am expecting I won't measure any power at the lamp socket since the new LED bulb I bought did not work after I installed it). I think you're probably correct the problem most likely is in the switch. Hopefully I can take it apart and clean the contacts and verify there is 12V reaching the switch. Will post here the results. I sure would like some light when I open the Vibe door at night.
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

I measure 12V reaching the dome light switch from the 3-pin connector (on one side of the switch received 12V when the door is open and on the other side of the switch has a continuous 12V supply which would be the expected normal condition). But upon cleaning the switch contacts the dome light still does not work. So there appears to be a problem with the switch I cannot fix.

The easy solution will be to replace the dome light with a new one; but it's puzzling that cleaning the switch contacts did not solve the problem. I found a new Toyota OEM dome light on Ebay for $43.00 but have not ordered it yet. If these dome lights are prone to eventually going bad it does not make sense to replace it with one from the salvage yard. I'll sleep on it and see if I come up with any other ideas to repair the existing dome light. I could hard wire the switch to operate when the door is open (at the expense of giving up the feature of turning the dome light ON independent of opening a door). But so far I'm inclined to prefer to keep the dome light fully functional per its original factory specs (which means either finding a way to repair it or replace it with a new one).
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe SteevO :D Where did this Vibe come from and where is it's home now? (update your profile for us) Looks good and I'm sure you'll put it to very good use.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Nice looking Vibe!
Steve: I put an inexpensive runner from Lowe's in my cargo area. It's kept in place with plastic fasteners. For your application you may consider putting the carpet in upside down. The backside is easier to clean and your equipment will be cushioned as much. Click on the link in my signature and scroll down.
You may be inclined to get a rubber mat from a farm supply store. Be careful though: some rubber products from the land of lo mein stink like hell.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Steve41337 wrote:I will put a meter on it to check for voltage (I am expecting I won't measure any power at the lamp socket since the new LED bulb I bought did not work after I installed it).
LED bulbs have polarity. If you are getting 12V at the contacts for the dome light, did you try switching the bulb around in the socket?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Steve! That's a mighty fine looking two-tone Frosty you've got there ;)! Thanks for posting pictures right away!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

ehoff121 wrote:LED bulbs have polarity. If you are getting 12V at the contacts for the dome light, did you try switching the bulb around in the socket?
I'm "positive" :D there's no polarity requirement on the LED replacement bulb I purchased to replace the standard filament bulb (same physical shape and size). Since my last post the new dome light housing arrived and all is well. Previously I measured 12V on the switch contacts of the old dome housing but no voltage reaching the bulb holder contacts. After cleaning the switch contacts I tested again with same result. Then I used a small fingernail file to further freshen up the metal contacts but sill with no success. I had already spent a couple of hours horsing-around with it so I figured it was time to move on with a new OEM part. I appreciate everyone's help (including your suggestion to check polarity).
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Steve! That's a mighty fine looking two-tone Frosty you've got there ;)! Thanks for posting pictures right away!

LOL I had not heard the term "two-tone Frosty" before (I'm new to the world of Vibe) . . . or if I had heard it I didn't realize it applied to my Vibe!

Makes sense!

So is a white vibe with white shrouds and bumper just called a Frosty? Or is there some other adjective added?

Thank you for the warm welcome.
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe SteevO :D Where did this Vibe come from and where is it's home now? (update your profile for us) Looks good and I'm sure you'll put it to very good use.
Thank You for the welcome! I added the info you requested in my signature (actually had done this prior to your post but couldn't get my signature to show up until I just redid signature again now).
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

vibrologist wrote:Nice looking Vibe!
Steve: I put an inexpensive runner from Lowe's in my cargo area. It's kept in place with plastic fasteners. For your application you may consider putting the carpet in upside down. The backside is easier to clean and your equipment will be cushioned as much. Click on the link in my signature and scroll down.
You may be inclined to get a rubber mat from a farm supply store. Be careful though: some rubber products from the land of lo mein stink like hell.
Hi Vibrologist

So far I've saved a few large pieces of cardboard to eventually make a custom fit stencil I'll use to cut whatever material I use to protect the cargo area floor. I have a few ideas and may start with a piece of scrap carpet as you suggest. I clicked on your link and was looking for some pictures of the plastic fasteners you use. So far have not figured out how you're using plastic fasteners but I am very interested to learn more.

In the meantime I'm already using the cargo space for work. Keep in mind I could fit much more than what is shown but I am taking what I need to complete a job.

Full size tile saw, bags of thinset and grout, extra buckets and tools

1000' 14 gauge wire, full size dolly, sawsall, cordless tools, 4' level, utility stool, plus other
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Steve41337 wrote:So is a white vibe with white shrouds and bumper just called a Frosty? Or is there some other adjective added?
The two-tone applies due to the fact you have the gray cladding. As seen in my signature picture, the black, silver, and neptune blue vibes are all "monotone" and the funky blue (stealth gray metallic) vibe is a two-tone. The cladding on that one was the same faded gray, but after a few cans of Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint, it is now black and looks 10 times better.

Btw, welcome and glad to see you got a nice vibe for a pretty good price! If you're on Facebook don't forget to join us on there too: facebook.com/groups/Genvibe
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Steve41337 wrote:LOL I had not heard the term "two-tone Frosty" before (I'm new to the world of Vibe) . . . or if I had heard it I didn't realize it applied to my Vibe!

Makes sense!

So is a white vibe with white shrouds and bumper just called a Frosty? Or is there some other adjective added?

Thank you for the warm welcome.
zbyers wrote:The two-tone applies due to the fact you have the gray cladding. As seen in my signature picture, the black, silver, and neptune blue vibes are all "monotone" and the funky blue (stealth gray metallic) vibe is a two-tone. The cladding on that one was the same faded gray, but after a few cans of Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint, it is now black and looks 10 times better.
^ This!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Here is a link that takes you straight to my description on how I used the plastic fasteners. They don't show well in the pictures. I circled them red.

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476#p505263
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

[quote=zbyers wrote:
The two-tone applies due to the fact you have the gray cladding. As seen in my signature picture, the black, silver, and neptune blue vibes are all "monotone" and the funky blue (stealth gray metallic) vibe is a two-tone. The cladding on that one was the same faded gray, but after a few cans of Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint, it is now black and looks 10 times better.[/quote]

I understood that Two Tone Frosty referred to the black (or faded gray) cladding on my white vibe. Does your explanation mean the correct insider terminology for gf's 2007 vibe is "Frosty Monotone"? She has a white vibe with matching white cladding.
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

vibrologist wrote:Here is a link that takes you straight to my description on how I used the plastic fasteners. They don't show well in the pictures. I circled them red.

Many Many Thanks for the link. It took me right to your discussion and pictures installing your mat. I see I can order the fasteners on amazon at a low price with two day delivery so will probably go that way. Currently I am looking for a 4'x6' mat either similar to what you used (rubber on back fabric on top) or all rubber. Thank you for your warning about some of the off-shore products smelling bad.

My idea at this point is to use 4 fasteners in approx the same locations you used but leave the portion of mat that covers the "folded-down backseats" free floating without any fasteners (so when the backseats are uprighted the mat can easily be folded back). Your comments appreciated of course. :)
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

zbyers wrote:
Steve41337 wrote:So is a white vibe with white shrouds and bumper just called a Frosty? Or is there some other adjective added?
The two-tone applies due to the fact you have the gray cladding. As seen in my signature picture, the black, silver, and neptune blue vibes are all "monotone" and the funky blue (stealth gray metallic) vibe is a two-tone. The cladding on that one was the same faded gray, but after a few cans of Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint, it is now black and looks 10 times better.

Btw, welcome and glad to see you got a nice vibe for a pretty good price! If you're on Facebook don't forget to join us on there too: facebook.com/groups/Genvibe

Thank you for the welcome. I do reluctantly use FB because I have an obligation to stay in touch with family (weddings and new babies et el) and a few close friends otherwise I would prefer not to have an account. Now that you mention FB/GenVibe I will take a look there. Time will tell how much I post there.

Regarding the black cladding that looks gray with age and weathering . . . if I was given a choice of buying a white vibe with with black cladding or a white vibe with gray cladding there would be absolutely no hesitation choosing gray instead of black. If I had old gray cladding I would go to great lengths to restore it and make it look new again.

So with that in mind I have no plans to spruce-up my faded black cladding. :D
I love the contrast between white and gray since gray is a much "softer" color than black. The black against white has so much contrast it's much less attractive to my eyes. I know most people may not agree with me but I have a strong preference that way. Years ago despite having a choice of many great color options I bought a Dove Gray cover for my new White iPad. :lol:
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

I've been busy researching aftermarket stereos for my Vibe. The main criteria has been to accommodate a backup cam and also find a touch screen unit that supports Apple Car Play. My research is now complete and I have ordered everything I need for the install (a few things still arriving via UPS early this coming week). Nothing has been installed as of now.

I finally ended up with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX at a great price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZeYkEgWIaY

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-4200 ... vh-4200nex

After manufacturer rebate my net cost for the unit itself is $448.38 (current retail price from Pioneer is $700). BTW if anyone is interested the $100 cash-card rebate from Pioneer is valid for purchases made from any authorized Pioneer dealer on or before July 31, 2016.

I spent more time finding my rear cam than I did choosing the Pioneer head unit. MacGyver did an impressive job installing an inexpensive backup cam on his 2009; and if my 2006 had the same deep well for the license plate in the hatchback I would have copied his approach. But the 2006 uses a single trim piece to house the latch for the hatchback and two license plate lamps (and only protrudes 2" beyond the hatchback face). So a different approach was required to satisfy my aesthetic preferences.

Here is what I finally ended up with:
https://www.amazon.com/BOYO-VTL425HD-Re ... QMDNW73QFD

There are many similar style cameras by Boyo and others but this is the slimmest I could find and I think will be the least conspicuous of everything I was able ti find and consider. I wanted at least a 160 degree viewing range (this has 175). It is water proof with water-resistance rating of IP67, low-light sensitivity 0.3 LUX at F2.0 which means it will provide a relatively good image in very low light. And it is a HD camera. Online reviews were very good and some claiming it was better than OEM equipment on other vehicles they owned with backup cameras.

I have also purchased a flush mount double USB outlet to install where the current cigarette lighter is located in the vibe ($12.95 Amazon Prime). The double USB port means I can equip my vibe to accommodate either an iPhone or Android phone. The only remaining question is whether I will install all this gear myself or have one of the local shops do it for me. I have visited our 3 local stereo install shops and install price ranges from $300 to $600. At $300 from a reputable local shop there is good chance I WILL NOT install myself.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Steve41337 wrote:
vibrologist wrote:Here is a link that takes you straight to my description on how I used the plastic fasteners. They don't show well in the pictures. I circled them red.

Many Many Thanks for the link. It took me right to your discussion and pictures installing your mat. I see I can order the fasteners on amazon at a low price with two day delivery so will probably go that way. Currently I am looking for a 4'x6' mat either similar to what you used (rubber on back fabric on top) or all rubber. Thank you for your warning about some of the off-shore products smelling bad.

My idea at this point is to use 4 fasteners in approx the same locations you used but leave the portion of mat that covers the "folded-down backseats" free floating without any fasteners (so when the backseats are uprighted the mat can easily be folded back). Your comments appreciated of course. :)
That makes perfectly sense to me. If you like you could fasten the carpeting to the upper edge of the backs and cut a slit where the where the bench is slit. With the backs up that part of the rug would hang loose.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

vibrologist wrote: That makes perfectly sense to me. If you like you could fasten the carpeting to the upper edge of the backs and cut a slit where the where the bench is slit. With the backs up that part of the rug would hang loose.
I like your idea of fastening near the top of backseats. Would want to experiment before drilling the holes. Speaking of drilling holes regarding the other 4 fasteners (in similar location to where you put yours); I assume the two recessed channels that run North and South though the cargo area are there to use removable tie-downs? Would be great if there was something I could use with that to fasten the cargo area carpet and not drill holes in the plastic. Any ideas?
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Yes, the rails are for the fasteners. If you use the fasteners they stick out, which may not be what you want when you put your ladders and boxes in the trunk. Have a look at the fasteners and see if you can find bolts with flat tops to use instead of the original loops.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

vibrologist wrote:Yes, the rails are for the fasteners. If you use the fasteners they stick out, which may not be what you want when you put your ladders and boxes in the trunk. Have a look at the fasteners and see if you can find bolts with flat tops to use instead of the original loops.

Yes, you're right it would not serve me well to have something sticking out in the way of loading and unloading my cargo. I thought I would ask while I wait for my standard GM fasteners to arrive in the mail.

Where do I find the fasteners that are made for the rails? If they use a standard thread I probably can find flat head bolts and consider that before using the GM fasteners.

Yesterday I ordered on Amazon this 4' x 6' rubber-back carpet mat (link below). 4' x 5' would have been big enough but not a standard size and either way I have to cut to fit. Would have preferred a mat without the relatively wide rubber border. This was the lowest cost option I could find on a product with very good customer reviews (no bad smell and durable). A local supplier I do a lot of business with has a variety of similar 4' x 6' mats in the $132 to $160 price range (before sales tax) and I found similar prices on Amazon. So this purchase seems like a no-brainer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A ... UTF8&psc=1

Appreciate your help.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

That looks like heavy duty stuff. I got my carpet off the roll at Lowe's.
My rail fasteners came with the car and they were floating around in the compartments in the spare tire area. There is also a narrow tray between the wheel wells. Maybe they hide there.
You could put a piece of wood or plastic in the rail and use wood screws and washers to fasten the carpet.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Alpine

Post by Alpine »

How'd the backup camera work out, still using it?
Steve41337 wrote:I've been busy researching aftermarket stereos for my Vibe. The main criteria has been to accommodate a backup cam and also find a touch screen unit that supports Apple Car Play. My research is now complete and I have ordered everything I need for the install (a few things still arriving via UPS early this coming week). Nothing has been installed as of now.

I finally ended up with a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX at a great price.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZeYkEgWIaY

https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-4200 ... vh-4200nex

After manufacturer rebate my net cost for the unit itself is $448.38 (current retail price from Pioneer is $700). BTW if anyone is interested the $100 cash-card rebate from Pioneer is valid for purchases made from any authorized Pioneer dealer on or before July 31, 2016.

I spent more time finding my rear cam than I did choosing the Pioneer head unit. MacGyver did an impressive job installing an inexpensive backup cam on his 2009; and if my 2006 had the same deep well for the license plate in the hatchback I would have copied his approach. But the 2006 uses a single trim piece to house the latch for the hatchback and two license plate lamps (and only protrudes 2" beyond the hatchback face). So a different approach was required to satisfy my aesthetic preferences.

Here is what I finally ended up with:
https://www.amazon.com/BOYO-VTL425HD-Re ... QMDNW73QFD

There are many similar style cameras by Boyo and others but this is the slimmest I could find and I think will be the least conspicuous of everything I was able ti find and consider. I wanted at least a 160 degree viewing range (this has 175). It is water proof with water-resistance rating of IP67, low-light sensitivity 0.3 LUX at F2.0 which means it will provide a relatively good image in very low light. And it is a HD camera. Online reviews were very good and some claiming it was better than OEM equipment on other vehicles they owned with backup cameras.

I have also purchased a flush mount double USB outlet to install where the current cigarette lighter is located in the vibe ($12.95 Amazon Prime). The double USB port means I can equip my vibe to accommodate either an iPhone or Android phone. The only remaining question is whether I will install all this gear myself or have one of the local shops do it for me. I have visited our 3 local stereo install shops and install price ranges from $300 to $600. At $300 from a reputable local shop there is good chance I WILL NOT install myself.
09 - 5 speed - 2.4L