MacGyver's - 2009 Vibe Base

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
MacGyver

MacGyver's - 2009 Vibe Base

Post by MacGyver »

vibe.jpg
vibe.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 21557 times
Former Matrix owner - Now joined the GenVibe community! I today drove home this exceptional 2009 Vibe Base with Convenience Package. Only 32,000km (20,000 miles) on the clock and I got it for a great price. It was owned by an older lady (found her name in the glovebox) that probably only drove it to church and the grocery store. Rustproofed for most of its life, OEM tires, GM even upgraded OnStar to 4G LTE in it. Sadly no XM as it was optional in Canada.

And of course the best part is that its RED HOT! I always wanted a red car. And I still can't get over how new this car looks and feels for being 7 years old.

http://i.imgur.com/kAuKruA.jpg

My list of completed upgrades:
-------------------------------------------
  • Dealer disabled auto re-locking
    Dealer enabled unlock all doors on first fob press
    Installed A118C dash cam from old vehicle
    Install Morimoto XB Type T fog lights (bezels: gmpartsdepot.ca parts 88975659 and 88975660 (discontinued); Denso 90987-02027 relay from ebay)
    Fog light capable turn stalk
    Variable Intermittent Wiper stalk
    LED dome lights (Front: Dome Litz 12 from Walmart, Rear: Philips Vision from Princess Auto)
    Fog light wiring bypass #2
    Pioneer AVH-4200NEX head unit with Scosche TA2102B dash kit.
    Car Rover backup camera
    FIAMM Freeway Blaster Horn (F-note) this thing is hilarious
    Ultra-gauge!
    Shorten main antenna
    Autodimming rearview mirror
    Mud Guards 19170820 (discontinued)
    New battery
    White LEDs for centre console controls
    LED license plate light
    Findway winter floor mats (discontinued)
    Steering wheel audio and phone buttons
    Toyota alloy wheels new summer tires (got a nearly brand new set off a wrecked Matrix!)
    Kenwood KFC-XP184C front door speakers with custom tweeter mounts
    Alpine PDX-V9 amplifier
    Pioneer TSSW-X3002 subwoofer
    12V USB charger in rear of centre console
A great commuter car that I will likely be handing over to my kids in about 8-10 years!
Last edited by MacGyver on Wed May 27, 2020 11:06 pm, edited 31 times in total.
vibenvy

Re: MacGyver's - 2009 Vibe Base

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Sounds like you really found a well-maintained, ultra low mileage Vibe! I like the sounds of your future plans. I look forward to seeing more pictures and progress from you and your Vibe!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Mac ;) What part of Canada are you from (update profile for us)? YES ... you definitely got a RED HOT metallic Vibe. That's mine in my signature and LOVE it. Was the rustproofing Krown or Rust Chek? Great stuff but a bit messy. Visit often here and get involved
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Nice looking base VIbe there, in a great color. Loved the red hot metallic on my former 2010 GT.

Good luck with your Vibe, mods, and visit often!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Here's another welcome! Keep us posted on things you do to it.

All the best!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Welcome from a fellow Ottawan!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

tpollauf wrote:Was the rustproofing Krown or Rust Chek?
Metropolitan Rustproofing, which is a Quebec company. They used to have a location on the Ottawa side but it closed down some time ago.
2009 Vibe Base
ElScotto

Post by ElScotto »

Welcome to GenVibe! Great looking Vibe!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Installed the A118C dashcam yesterday and hid all the wires.

2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

MacGyver wrote:Installed the A118C dashcam yesterday and hid all the wires.
You'll have to let us know how this dashcam performs. There is a separate post on dashcams somewhere here. Anyways my RVS-250C is OK but not thoroughly impressed with it. I may look into a different model in the future.

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

tpollauf wrote:
MacGyver wrote:Installed the A118C dashcam yesterday and hid all the wires.
You'll have to let us know how this dashcam performs.
I've been using it since Christmas in another vehicle. The quality is fantastic, although night driving in rural areas is very dark but that's to be expected. Nevertheless, the video quality at night is great for a camera in this price bracket. Some people don't like the ultra-wide angle lens which makes things in the center of the field of view seem really far away, but that's a blessing in the urban areas that can catch more action. The G-sensor is useless, I have it disabled because even on the lowest setting, it will save video every time I drive over a bump. But that's OK, since I can manually save the current footage at any time by pressing the round button.

This video review has sample footage and tells you all about the camera better than I can. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFjOvuCU2Lo
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

That does look like a low budget dashcam and is more concealed/hidden compared to mine. 3mp resolution is OK. My RVS-250C is a 4mp dashcam and can not be hidden/concealed. No big deal to me. The drawback is when you need to playback video. If you do not properly format the micro Sd card (which happened to me twice) then you're not saving any recording to the chip. You won't know this until you go to playback that awesome accident that you witnessed (yes, I was all excited that I recorded this incident .... until ...). There is NO warning or indication that the chip will not save the data. All other functions indicate that it is recording. So now every time I put in a different chip, I do a sample run and remove the chip to verify that it actually saved the footage! The other big drawback is what video software to use in playback mode. Quicktime or Classic Microsoft movie something are the only two choices to playback video. According to my IT college son, this is way outdated and pretty lame for a product on the market in 2015! The 4mp quality is very good and even night recording is acceptable. No wide angle like yours has. One of these days I'll post a sample video of what mine looks like

Vibemaster09

Post by Vibemaster09 »

Welcome to Genvibe Mac!

Great looking vibe you have got yourself, I have the 2009 base aswell! But yours has extremely low kms!!!

Where did you order your fog lights from? I've been looking at getting some for my car.

Happy Modding

Brad
Built not bought - Happy Modding
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Vibemaster09 wrote:Welcome to Genvibe Mac!
Where did you order your fog lights from? I've been looking at getting some for my car.
I ordered the bezels from gmpartsdepot.ca for $29.99 CAD a piece, and the lights from Amazon for $59.98 CAD. https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00M12AKDW/ The amazon lights are NOT SAE/DOT approved if that matters to anyone, but they are glass. And the seller declared the value incorrectly so I had to pay slightly more import tax. :(

I ordered the relay from ebay and a dashboard switch from dealxtreme, which I wanted to wire up instead of switching out the turn signal stalk. But I got a great deal on a wiper and turn stalk off ebay so I'll use the switch for something else. Took me a while to find the relay after I had the dash apart.

I installed the fog lights in my car this afternoon. Took me a while to figure out how to put them in, they have to go in from the back and one screw needed to secure the outside top corner from the back. Dropping the splash guard from the front bumper was a snap and I didn't have to jack up the car. I can't turn the fogs on yet, but they look great.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Here are some pics of the fog light install. I'm posting these because I didn't see them anywhere else. What it looks like when the blank cover is removed (can see the wire connector waiting in the shadows of the hole), and when the fog light is installed from the rear before the new cover goes on. The light itself has side tabs that insert into holes in the bumper, and is held in by a short screw that goes into the back side of that raised knob. I used a stubby screwdriver and some short screws in my parts bin. You need to move the lamp around until it sits on the back side of the knob, then you know it's positioned properly.
Attachments
20160519_115837.jpg
20160519_115837.jpg (78.79 KiB) Viewed 21405 times
20160519_115658.jpg
20160519_115658.jpg (64.07 KiB) Viewed 21405 times
Last edited by MacGyver on Sat May 21, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
ElScotto

Post by ElScotto »

Sounds like it was a super easy install. That is awesome! I too am wanting to add either some fog lights or a hidden LED bar in the front bumper, something to give more low and wide light. How well to do the bezels fit with those fog lights?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ElScotto wrote:How well to do the bezels fit with those fog lights?
There is a very small gap between the bezel and the lens. I'm guessing this is by design to allow moisture to shed off the lens and to make sure a hot lens does not melt the plastic bezel. Looks good!
Attachments
gap.jpg
gap.jpg (125.4 KiB) Viewed 21395 times
20160521_075628.jpg
20160521_075628.jpg (100.27 KiB) Viewed 21395 times
2009 Vibe Base
ElScotto

Post by ElScotto »

MacGyver wrote:I'm guessing this is by design to allow moisture to shed off the lens and to make sure a hot lens does not melt the plastic bezel. Looks good!
You're right they do look good!

And I agree about the gap being by design for moisture and heat, I have seen a number of aftermarket fog lights melt or otherwise damage the plastic housing.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Looks real good ;) How about a pic of the entire nose so we can see the overall look? Too bad you didn't have a good before (maybe you do) and exact after so we can see the comparison. Nice work

MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

tpollauf wrote:Looks real good ;) How about a pic of the entire nose
Attachments
before.jpg
before.jpg (48.27 KiB) Viewed 21374 times
20160521_195835.jpg
20160521_195835.jpg (85.12 KiB) Viewed 21374 times
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Definitely looks better with fog lights ;)!
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I want to change the license plate bulb to LED. The manual doesn't give a spec on the bulb (contact your dealer), but I pulled the bulb out and it's a W5W or T20 wedge. This contradicts many sources online, which have probably copied each other - it's NOT a 97 bayonet bulb.

Thankfully changing the bulb can easily be done from the exterior of the vehicle, unlike my 06 Trix which required going through an access door in the hatch and grinding knuckles until they bled. So it's not high on the priority list.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MacGyver wrote:I want to change the license plate bulb to LED. The manual doesn't give a spec on the bulb (contact your dealer), but I pulled the bulb out and it's a W5W or T20 wedge. This contradicts many sources online, which have probably copied each other - it's NOT a 97 bayonet bulb.

Thankfully changing the bulb can easily be done from the exterior of the vehicle, unlike my 06 Trix which required going through an access door in the hatch and grinding knuckles until they bled. So it's not high on the priority list.
Yep, I've used a #194 LED bulb in the license plate light without any issues.

There are many incorrect bulb numbers online for the 2009-2010 Vibes. I have removed all the bulbs on my Vibe and added the correct numbers to the Exterior Replacement Bulb Guide thread in case you are wanting to replace any other bulbs with LEDs or something.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Just finished installing the new stalks for wipers and turn signals, now the fog lights are in and working! Thanks to all the big help posted here.

As I mentioned before, I was going to install a push button switch in the blanks to the left of the steering wheel for the fog lights, but I got a great ebay deal on the variable intermittent wiper stalk AND the turn stalk with fog controls. It's a tough job needing specific tools. But worth it now that it's all done!

But to anyone considering installing fogs, I would recommend that you go with a dashboard mounted switch and not install a new turn stalk switch. That way you don't need to disconnect the battery, pull off the airbag, the steering wheel, the clockspring, and the turn stalk which goes around the steering shaft. The wires can be accessed by pulling off the bottom cover from the steering column and you can tie into them there.

TL;DR:
Replace wiper stalk - steering wheel can stay on
Replace turn stalk - steering wheel must come off

When I had the steering wheel off, I noticed that the clockspring on my car (replaced under recall 14139) only has three pins and is missing the fourth pin for steering wheel audio controls. But I did see an opportunity to install custom steering wheel controls, like Dodge vehicles have on the back side of the steering wheel, then connect them to a battery operated Bluetooth steering wheel remote with soldered wires, hiding the guts of the whole thing behind the access panel on the left side of the steering wheel.

Also tried a Philips Vision LED lamp in the dome light, and it's pathetic. I'm a fan of Philips products, but not this one. It's not much brighter than stock.
2009 Vibe Base
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to hear you got the fog light install finished up! If I had a Base without fog lights, I'd definitely have to install the turn signal stalk because I like keeping things OEM.

That's disappointing about the Philips LED bulb. For LEDs though, I highly recommend SuperBrightLEDs and v-LEDs. Both have great products, prices and customer service.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I had some V-LEDs in my Trix and I never thought to take them out, probably because I figured I would buy something else. And V-LEDs doesn't make the bulbs I bought any more.

I ended up buying a Dome Litz 15 LED array from Walmart, and installed it in the front dome light. I had to cut the light housing to accommodate the LED array and drill a hole for the wire to pass around the back. Plenty bright. So bright in fact that I can't take pictures of my handiwork at night and have the photo be legible. I then moved the Philips Vision LED to the rear dome light where it does much better at lighting up the trunk area.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The Dome Litz LED array in the front is blinding and lights up the entire front of the car right down to the front footwells! Here is a pic at night.
Attachments
bright.jpg
bright.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 21170 times
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Activated the OnStar trial last week, so now I have 3GB of 4G LTE WiFi for the next three months. In a 2009 Pontiac Vibe, LOL. Even the OnStar operator LOL'd. Too bad I have no bluetooth with the OnStar setup. The OnStar RemoteLink smartphone app also doesn't support the Vibe.
2009 Vibe Base
Capt.Vibe

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Great colour! I have the same colour, but the real 'base', manual trans, no AC and power nothing with OnStar that I haven't touched in 7 years since the initial free trial. Is the OnStar upgrade to 4G done by the dealer for free? What do I need to convert mine to 4G. WiFi is really nice to have. Enjoy your car.
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Capt.Vibe wrote: Is the OnStar upgrade to 4G done by the dealer for free? What do I need to convert mine to 4G. WiFi is really nice to have. Enjoy your car.
In Canada, I understand the upgrade is done for free if you have a current OnStar subscription, otherwise you have to pay out of pocket the $350+ cost. The upgrade was done for the previous owner for free. The OnStar site says: "For all current OnStar customers in Canada affected by the CDMA decommissioning, including those in a trial period or a five-year basic plan, hardware upgrades will be provided at no additional charge. Some customers will be required to pay for and commit to a one-year subscription agreement as part of the upgrade program."

For Vibe owners, OnStar has the following drawbacks:

- turn by turn instructions not displayed on radio after the upgrade
- RemoteLink smartphone app to locate and lock/unlock car is not supported and never will be.
- no remote diagnostics, like mileage, fuel economy, oil life, even check engine codes are unavailable
- no Bluetooth built into OnStar, even though the OnStar box has the capability and the antenna, it's not enabled for the Vibe by GM and never will.
- My car is eligible for the 5-year basic plan from the date of the hardware install, but none of the features of that plan work on the Vibe. So it's pretty useless.

OnStar was first developed in 1995 and while the basic idea of OnStar hasn't changed since then, technology certainly has. Now everyone has smartphones that do way more than OnStar ever did. I can't see any reason to continue with it. But it's cool to say my 2009 car has WiFi. :D
Last edited by MacGyver on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

button.jpg
button.jpg (82.96 KiB) Viewed 21052 times
A red button, what does it do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku2wFaaPAzI

Opens the garage door. My garage door opener was falling apart, it was big and clunky, the button didn't work any more, so I fixed all those problems by hiding it behind the dash. The best part - everything I needed came from the packaging of my Dome Litz, including the button.
back.jpg
back.jpg (128 KiB) Viewed 21052 times
2009 Vibe Base
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice ;) Gotta love the many ways we can improvise and "hide" things such as this.

BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

good god man is that the original door opening casing?

It looks like something from the 80s

Post by MacGyver »

BustedVibe wrote:good god man is that the original door opening casing?

It looks like something from the 80s
I have no idea what you're talking about. The green thing in the grass is a flexible downspout extension.

EDIT: yes, the pink thing is the original garage door opener, circa 1991. Now you see why I wanted to hide it?
Last edited by MacGyver on Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

I'm talking about the black and pink thing

Post by Derf »

MacGyver wrote: A red button...
Now it just needs a label, "Passenger Auto Eject"...
Always amazed what can be tucked into the dash.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Clever find on the fog light housing

Now can we find aftermarket LED or Xenon based ones with real projector lenses
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

ctgottapee wrote:Clever find on the fog light housing

Now can we find aftermarket LED or Xenon based ones with real projector lenses
Here's some LED for 09/10: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Spec-15W-CR ... l%3AAvalon

Here's some "projector" type http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Power-15W- ... bf&vxp=mtr

The Toyota fog lights are used in many different models so there are plenty of products available.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I finally got all the parts needed to install the Pioneer AVH-X4600BT head unit! The LED dome light was a great help in finishing off the install :D

I used the Scosche TA2102 dash kit and the fit is pretty good, although not perfect. I have yet to install the backup camera; I ran out of time.

For wiring harness, I used the Metra 70-2105 and relocated the red wire (the wire looks pink to me) as per this post.

The Onstar 4G LTE WiFi appears to still be working even though the factory radio was pulled and I didn't use any special adapter kits. Of course I can't talk to Onstar anymore, but I have a cell phone for that...
Attachments
AVH-X4600BT.jpg
AVH-X4600BT.jpg (99.98 KiB) Viewed 20748 times
Last edited by MacGyver on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Backup camera was installed today! I used this https://www.amazon.ca/Car-Rover-Rear-vi ... B0140Y15QY which for only $20 was an absolute bargain. Solid metal housing; should last for a long time. EDIT: only lasted for a year before it rusted out.

I started by removing the license plate and the light above it, then drilling a 1/4" hole above the plate, so I could still take out the screws holding on the plate. The camera design is wonderful because the camera disconnects from the harness and the plug is only 1/4" in diameter, so that's as big of a hole as you need. Then placed the camera with the included double sided foam tape, and reaching in the license plate light opening, installed the nut hand tight to secure it, and replaced the license plate light. Then removed the trunk deck and the storage compartment holding the tire irons, giving access to all sorts of space. Then ran the camera wire through a rubber gromet in the back of the trunk. To do this I used a stiff piece of metal rod to poke a new hole in the grommet, down below the bumper, where I attached the camera wire and then pull it into the interior of the vehicle.

The camera wires for power are very fine, so I used soldered joints with heat shrink tape instead of but connectors.

The camera came with a wiring harness which allows the camera, video and camera power plugs to be connected and disconnected. The video wire also had an extra red wire embedded in it, which allowed me to power the camera from the front of the vehicle, so it's always on when the vehicle is on, and I can view it any time I wish. The alternate method is to power the camera from the backup lights, which I might change to in the future if camera life becomes an issue being constantly powered. This harness I bundled up and zip tied in the trunk area (photo attached).

I then ran the video cable along the passenger side door sills, which was a bit tough since the washer line also runs through there, so you have to be careful not to puncture it. Once at the front of the vehicle, the rest of the way was easy behind the glove box and up to the head unit.
Attachments
cam.jpg
cam.jpg (127.33 KiB) Viewed 20691 times
wiring.jpg
wiring.jpg (104.84 KiB) Viewed 20691 times
Last edited by MacGyver on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

You're a wonderful resource here at Genvibe! I really appreciate all the detail and pics you include in your posts explaining how you do things. Very valuable help for many of us DIY'ers here. Also, great find on the Amazon rear cam. Thank you for being here.

Since adding a rear cam is one of my planned upgrades I'm curious to know your thoughts about adding a rear cam to a 2006. I'm wondering if you would go about it the same way as you did on your 2009. As you can see there is space to add the camera you used but it will not be as well hidden and would also be further offset from the center of the lic plate because of two lamps instead of one (and the hatchback latch is center where your lic plate light is located).

On the 2006 there is no indentation in the hatchback to create a "well" for the plate and the only recess for the cam is the trim that houses the latch handle and lic plates lights. So the cam will be much less recessed from weather and a much more visibly noticeable feature. Not sure if rain on the cam lens would be an issue distorting the picture or how much of an issue being further off-set from center vehicle. An alternative would be license plate frame/cam. Or even drilling a hole in the hatchback itself just below center of the latch above the lic plate (a small dark anodized rectangular metal plate could be added so its not so noticeable a cam has been added).

I haven't figured out how to effectively search this website yet to check and see what others here might have done for adding rearcams to my vintage. But I will be figuring out how to do that.

In the meantime I'm curious to hear how the optics are on your new backup cam and any ideas you have for a 2006.
2006 Two-Tone Frosty AWD with Sunroof
Purchased June 2016 in Loxley AL
Steve41337 Tucson Arizona :D
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I owned a 1st gen 2006 Trix before the 2nd gen Vibe. I agree that above the license plate on the 1st gen is the best location, albeit off center. Drilling through the metal door would be a mistake and an invitation for rust to start at the hole or water to get in.

If you want to install a backup cam in a 1st gen, you'll need to take the inside panel off the rear hatch. This thread from MatrixOwners has some great pics. http://matrixowners.com/index.php?/topi ... a-install/ Also some good pics from this thread: viewtopic.php?t=43614

Fishing wire from the back of the plate up to the top of the hatch door and through the flexible conduit will be a challenge.

I attached a pic of my cam's video feed. The overlay lines are generic, built into the camera, and cannot be removed. The primary purpose for me of a backup cam is to make sure I don't run over any objects or kids. So having it aligned perfectly in the center of the vehicle is not important to me because I don't use it to align the vehicle while backing up. And it's not mounted exactly in the middle, an neither is the factory cam in our 2012 Odyssey. I haven't had any inclement weather yet, so I don't know how quickly it will get dirty, but it's quick to wipe off with a finger.

In retrospect, I thought about an alternative that you may wish to consider - a full time dashcam mounted in the rear window. The front A118C dashcam I have has an 3.5mm AV out, so installing one of those in the rear window to serve as a backup cam, with lens in an area of the wiper swath, would be much simpler to install and give you the benefit of a full time dashcam.
Attachments
20160701_142311x.jpg
20160701_142311x.jpg (74.27 KiB) Viewed 20587 times
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

Maybe you can help me understand something about having a full-time rear cam used with one of these new touch screen radios. I like the idea that when I put my vibe in reverse the rear cam will automatically show-up on the screen and override whatever was previously displayed there. Maybe there’s no problem and a full-time rear cam can still automatically show up when the vehicle is put in reverse but I’m guessing that a full time rear cam will be overridden by other radio and app functions and the rear cam will have to be selected when needed? I strongly prefer to have to do nothing but put the vibe in reverse to view the rear cam.

Thank you for the ideas and links.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

The cam feed displays automatically when I shift into reverse, and goes away when I shift out of reverse. Head units use a reverse wire to pick up 12V from the backup lights circuit to toggle the camera.

The Pioneer head units also allow turning on and off the camera feed at any time, but only if the camera is powered continously. Any audio continues uninterrupted. Holding down the mute button will turn off the camera feed if in reverse, if for some reason it isn't wanted.
Last edited by MacGyver on Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

That wasn't clear to me. If I am tuning the radio then put the vibe in reverse the full-time cam will show up without me pressing anything on the screen?
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Steve41337 wrote:That wasn't clear to me. If I am tuning the radio then put the vibe in reverse the full-time cam will show up without me pressing anything on the screen?
Yes, that is correct. If the head unit is wired correctly.
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

OK. If I had to press mute to get the rear cam to show-up after putting the vehicle in reverse that would not be acceptable to me. I will continue doing my research and post here what I decide to do. Leaning toward Pioneer AVH-4200NEX so far https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZeYkEgWIaY. Appreciate your help.
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

I would have gone for the 4200NEX if money were no object, but you really can't go wrong with any of the Pioneers. As a local car audio installer told me, nobody brings the Pioneers back.
2009 Vibe Base
Steve41337

Post by Steve41337 »

Yeah I hear you the 4200 is pricey and I'm hoping there may be a price drop soon (lowest price I see online so is amazon for $548.36). I won't buy the head unit until I decide on the rear cam which will take more time to decide. I am slow to make big decisions and the radio and rear cam are very important and big decisions for me. From watching the video posted above they recommend buying a rear cam that does not include a backup grid (or one the grid can be turned off; which further complicates my rear cam search and decision). And since I want apple carplay this tends to increase the cost of compatible units so overall the 4200 is an attractive choice and if purchased before July 31st Pioneer is offering a $100 rebate.

Update: the rebate applies when purchased from an authorized Pioneer Dealer and the product supplier fulfilling amazon orders is Electronic Express. Electronic Express is most likely an authorized dealer or they would not be selling on Amazon. The question is whether if purchased from them through Amazon if it would still qualify for the rebate (since my receipt would be from Amazon and not Electronic Express). I have sent an email to Electronic Express asking them that question. My guess is they may offer to sell to me direct at the amazon price since I know it is expensive for businesses to sell through Amazon. If I can make that deal I will order it since that would be an attractive value for a net $448.36 (current retail is $700; and Crutchfield sells for $600 with small print indicating their price is after $100 Manufacturer Rebate).
Last edited by Steve41337 on Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

Steve41337 wrote:From watching the video posted above they recommend buying a rear cam that does not include a backup grid (or one the grid can be turned off; which further complicates my rear cam search and decision).
What about this one? No lines and not mirrored. https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLCM37FRV-W ... ag=ihco-20
2009 Vibe Base