Blue Streak 05 Base

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
NYfan08

Blue Streak 05 Base

Post by NYfan08 »

Should have started this sooner, so here it is. I joined Vibenation on January 20th 2016. An 05 Base (didn't realize until we were driving home there weren't power locks and windows...didn't know this wasn't standard nowadays), up in miles has 244,000 but runs great. I have been mostly finding parts at various junk yards near me. Added cruise, various interior parts. Upgraded the radio to a cd, dvd, navi, Bluetooth, and more. Also upgraded the rear view mirror with one that has map lights, hard wired it and wired it to the dome light to come on when I open the doors. Removed the roof rack, and bought duraflex roof caps, hope to get those done this summer. Tinted the windows, a must have for me. Plan on painting the gray cladding soon, using rustoleums spray on bedliner. I sprayed the hatch gate trim piece and it turned out great, exactly the look and feel I want. So excited to start that. I really love fixing and adding things to my vehicles. Have a lot planned for this little beast. I have found lots of good parts at the yards. Check out my for sale page here: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=45011 .Working on too many projects right now, haha. Anyway here are some pics, wish I would have taken some when I first got it.
Tinted the fog lights with yellow vinyl
This is the spray on bedliner.
Bad pic, but +map lights! Also hardwired for my dash cam, needs mounting.
Last edited by NYfan08 on Sat May 28, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BenWA

Re: Blue Streak 05 Base

Post by BenWA »

Welcome. I got lucky on my 03 base, the original owner had lots of features added such cruise control, map lights and the painted lower exterior plastics.

Regarding the stereo install, yikes! That makes mine not look so bad. :lol: I made sure to get one that didn't require butchering the trim. I had to grind/file down the install kit was all. It's got a slightly smaller screen than yours, but I also wanted one with a normal volume control so I wouldn't have to fumble with buttons. Although, I'm sure it'll look great once you finish it up. :)

I have a dash cam as well, but I just ran the plug-in charger it came with, hiding the cable like you did and dropping it down by the mirror just the same. It's plugged into a 3-outlet strip with a switch. Since the 12V outlet is switched with the ignition, it works fine. I considered hard wiring mine too but there's no real point unless I just want to hide the end where it plugs into the power strip.

2003 Vibe Base A/T
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad to see you started a Garage thread for your Vibe! I can't wait to see how the spray-on bed liner turns out on the cladding. The piece on the hatch turned out really nice.

I see Indiana plates. You should consider attending the GenVibe meet in Nashville, TN on June 25th. Click the link in my signature for all the info.

I look foward to seeing more progress from you and your Vibe ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Got the cladding done last night. I would say it's a 40mph job, what I expected from a spray can. Got a few drips, but overall I'm really happy with the look and feel. Now we will see how it holds up to the elements. P.S., Don't mind the dirt!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looks good! Then again, anything looks better than the faded gray cladding :P!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Hack job on the radio bezel, but I do have a spare and plan on filling, sanding, and painting to look like it was from the factory.

Finally got around to getting my spare radio trim panel all filled and painted. Fits perfect, and I by no means am a professional, but it turned out pretty darn good. Plastic isn't the best medium to work with, even after I used some putty and epoxy, the lines still show up. I had it all sanded down and it looked perfect, but after a few coats of primer, I could see the lines appearing. Oh well, it will work.
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Just got me a supercharged 04 Vibe, will post more pics soon.
WingsFan92

Post by WingsFan92 »

Cant Wait to see more!
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Been so busy haven't done much to mine lately. Got all new speakers installed, removed the factory amp. Got new wheels today, next is painting calipers, and drums. Not sure on what color yet, guess it will be a surprise!
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Supercharged?
Were there vibes that came supercharged from the factory, or was it something the previous owner added on?

You should post some pictures of the supercharger sometime.
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

It was available to add to the base at the dealership. It's filthy right now, Image
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Forgot to ask. I like the blue trim around the radio. Is that an overlay or did you paint it? It looks pretty good. And by putty you mean what? Bondo?
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

I used JB weld plastic putty, stuff works great. I have used bondo for plastic models in the past, doesn't work as well. Had to cut the top and bottom where the radio fits in, and fill the sides. Its a metallic rattle can paint with a clear gloss topcoat. I plan on painting the guage cluster trim the same color. Then paint the trim with the mirror controls and also the door window panels as well. I just scored a moon and tunes subwoofer and panel from the yard, gonna wire that up as mine doesnt have the wiring. Too much going on, little by little it's getting done though.
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Painted the brakes (calipers & brackets, and drums). Now if I could just get some significant upgrades done I will be ok, haha. Went with yellow. It will look great when I finally tint the windows. Went with "cast iron" for the drums, didn't want them to stand out too much.
Also didn't like the speakers with just the radio output, so I rewired the factory amplifier to the front replacement speakers, sounds great now. Gonna find some 6" subs for the rear doors, possibly go up to 8" if I can get them to work, found an amplifier at the yard today, might use it.
Last edited by NYfan08 on Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbenrod

Post by Jbenrod »

Don't you find those low profile tires to be overly harsh - the vibes handle pretty good on the stock tires so I have had no desire to go lower than the 205/55/16.

If it's mainly for the look, then I understand as they do look sharp and I wish I'd thought of that cast iron color you've used for the rear drums before I painted mine red.
2005 Base - 220k
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Honestly the ride isn't as bad as I thought it would be. But I drive mostly on the interstate. My vibe has 225/40/18's and the wifes vibe has stock 17's with a 225/45, I find that in hers I can feel any crack in the road. Seems really weird cuz you would think the opposite. Hope to get the wheels painted soon, but might not get to it till spring.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Looks good with those ties & rims. Do you have any center cap to cover up the hub/bolt holes? That would clean up the appearance even more.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Unfortunately no center caps came with them. I have been looking in the yard but no luck so far. Gonna have to look elsewhere. Thanks!
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »

Sadly, back on December 18th some guy came across 2 lanes and side swiped me, I was ok, the superVibe not so much. A Few more inches and it would have been head on. He got me from the front bumper to the rear bumper. Of course he didn't have insurance, so it was a disaster to get taken care of. I plan on selling it as soon as I find a replacement, hate to sell it but it is just too much to deal with with a kid on the way. I will get it in the for sale section soon!
NYfan08

Post by NYfan08 »