2004 Vibe Base Model, Restoration Project

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Robert1Stock

2004 Vibe Base Model, Restoration Project

Post by Robert1Stock »

Hello, new member & semi-new owner!

I have been restoring my 2004 Vibe for several months and just found this site! Probably would have saved me some heart ache but where's the fun in that?

Goal:
Have a daily driver / weekend fun car that I can take near anywhere, pay near nothing in fuel (40MPG? :) ), and feel nice and safe in knowing it won't ever break down on me. I want it to be smooth, quiet, and overall comfortable as humanly possible!

Starting Point:
2004 Pontiac Vibe Base, Black, 1.8ltr 4cyl with Automatic Transmission & AWD; 141k Miles - Purchase price $4,200.

What is needed:
1. Rims & Tires - Steel wheels are a no go, need light and affordable! Tires? They are re-tread's and my luck with them is 0, so replacement!
2. Shocks & Struts (front) - Struts are so bad when I sit on the fender (and I'm fat...) it goes down maybe a 1/2 inch before it hits the bottom...
3. Shocks & Struts (rear) - Haven't inspected these but if the front was bad, I can replace the back while I'm at it I guess.
4. Rotors (front) / Pads - They are somewhat warped and not a hole lot of life left on them.
5. Drums (rear) / Pads - Guessed it, warped and no meat on the pads!
6. Drive Axle's - All the way around they have an amount of rust on them I am not too comfortable with!
7. Wheel bearing & Hub assembly - They are so buggered! The lugs on a couple of them have been stripped, out with them...
8. Exhaust - boy is this tricky, it's rusted and has what looks like patched holes. I don't want noise, I want pure quiet, I want less noise than stock.
9. Fluids Exchange - This should be easy, a drain and fill of fluids: Oil, Coolant, Brake, Steering, Differential, if its viscous, it will be replaced.
10. Ignition Coils / Spark Plugs - They appear good, but there's a small miss under load, I think is a bad coil.
11. Battery - I'm going to be out in nature, I still want juice! I need a deep cycle AGM that can give me lots of hours of juice with the car off.
12. Door Seal - Air squeaks in at random and it's so noisy, new rubber for all the moldings that help keep that air out should help.
13. Safety - I want to know my airbag's and airbag sensors are not faulty, and will save my life if the time comes. Repack the bags and replace the sensors, this is one of the things I've never done on a car... Suggestions are most certainly welcome!
14. Body Trim - it is so grey & faded, It offers ZILCH in protection. I think I'll rhino line it if possible, I need protection from Arizona brush.
15. Body Trim 2 - There are 2 trim pieces missing totally! The window belt mold (driver side), which keeps debris and water from draining into my door! The other, is the center mold skirt of the passenger side, kind of looks like a rocker panel, runs underneath the doors.
16. Auxiliary Port - I don't like the sound quality of those pesky FM transmitters, I want an auxiliary port! There is a button, to the left of the radio under the A/C, Circulate buttons, I might be able to drill a hole in that for an aux port, hey, maybe enough space for a USB outlet for charging too??

What is wanted:
1. A Trailer - I want a really tiny trailer I can put dirt bikes on! Is this even possible? Surely a small wagon like this could pull a bike or two, or four?
2. Blacked Out - I live in AZ and I don't like the sun burning me in my car. My wife is white as can be, 30 minutes of travel and she is bright red, and that is no fun at all.
3. Blacked Out 2 - I don't like a two tone interior (light on top, dark on bottom), and grey in the back??? I want all of it black except for the trim pieces which I want the same metallic grey they are now, perhaps rhino liner in the back so I can toss the moto gear in without regerts ;)
4. Passenger Power - I want a cigarette lighter for people who come with me to charge up their devices, without needing a long cable, or an open line going inside my center console for the lighter port in there, 1 cigarette liter on the back side of the console would be nice.
5. Sound of Silence - I LOVE the quiet ride through the country, so since no one else does, passenger, and backseat occupants need some headphone ports to plugin to the sound!
6. Absence of Silence - Occasionally I like to rock out, when I do, I like good quality noise with a modest thump. The speakers in it now are pretty shot, so I'd like some decent ones to replace, and add a pair of those base units that can be installed underneath seats so I don't lose any other room. If it was comparable to the Bose system in my truck, which has a built in amplifier, that would be perfect to me.
7. True Peace and Quiet - There is so much road noise coming into this thing? I would really like some spray in sound dampener to erase a bit of the drone from the tires & wind. If not the glue on mats are fine too.
8. Interior Dress-up - Fitted floor mats, dash mat, cargo mat.

Seems like enough right? :)

What has been done:
Part1 #2 - Shocks and struts replaced with Monroe quick struts. They feel a bit stiff, but I figure that will fade with use.
Part1 #4 - Rotors and Pads replace with Duralast's gold rotor and pad set with lifetime warranty.
Part1 #10 - Ignition Coil & Plugs replaced with (guessed it) Duralast premium coils and NGK Laser Iridium plugs
Part2 #8 - Floor mats, dash mat, cargo mat all custom for the vehicle.
Part1 #6 - All but 1 cv shaft was in good condition, replaced the one, kept the 3. Placed the 3 new ones in storage.
Part1 #7 - Tap & Die kit used to repair threads, components appear to be in good condition otherwise, new ones put in storage.

I've done a bunch of other things but they are mostly attempts at things on the list. For example I tried to buff the paint a bit, need a fine grit sand paper that comes to a nice pencil tip for the dremel to get the small rust spots off, seems the car was pelted with rocks behind someone spinning them... Oil changes have also been done, but that doesn't begin to complete my fluids list so... You get the picture.

Thoughts, tips, tricks, requests, post it all. I'll start taking before and after pictures, videos if requested, all that jazz now that I'm going to keep it tracked on this forum.

Thanks!!!

P.S: Budget is currently $8,500 but adding to it constantly! Why not buy a nicer car? Because I wouldn't get the joy of customizing everything to little old me :)
Last edited by Robert1Stock on Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
2004 Pontiac Vibe | Base | Auto | Black | 142k
Rob
vibrologist

Re: 2004 Vibe Base Model, Restoration Project

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome Robert!
It seems you are well on your way and before anyone else asks you: please post pictures. Add your location to the signature. Who knows, someone here may live close enough to pay you a visit.
Your list is rather long. i can't comment on everything, but: 40 mpg is not a reasonable goal 28 to 34 mpg is more realistic. I average 28.5 mpg.
If you get other wheels consider 15" wheels with higher aspect ratio for more comfort. Look for tires that are known to be quiet.

Click on the link in my signature for some other, mostly low cost ideas. I am looking for similar improvements as you: more comfort and more quiet.
Go to "Maintenance Bay" for this: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=44875

Again, welcome!
Last edited by vibrologist on Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Bob :D I totally agree with your philosophy. Buy an older car and sink a few $$$ into it to make it exactly what you want. This way you get pretty much the perfect car with 1/2 or 1/3 of what new would have costs you. You definitely picked the perfect ride for doing this to. Your investment will pay of several years down the road. The only tough feat will be making it quieter. These are simply noisy vehicles from the beginning and one of the reasons they were affordable. Several posts here on sound deadening & such, which will help BUT the louder radio sounds like a better solution :lol: Where you from (update profile for us) and visit often
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Welcome!

Sounds like a fun project. I'm doing a few items here and there on the '03 myself.

For #13, run your VIN though GM's recall search. You may get the passenger air bag inflator replaced for free if it has not been already. These cars are part of the 20-something million vehicles affected by the massive Takata air bag disaster. Front passenger air bag inflators from '03-'08 are affected. The driver's inflator was made by a different supplier and not subject to any recalls. If you really want to replace the air bag, you'll have to buy a whole new assembly from a GM dealer.

If you'd like to replace any other safety items like seat belt buckles and want new parts, I highly recommend buying them now while you can before they are discontinued. Replacement buckles for the driver's seat on 2003 models are no longer available new from GM, for instance.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Derf's Vibe should be of interest to you. viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40549
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the new Vibe! Sounds like you have a long list of things to do for sure. A few items might be a bit overkill, but certainly change the fluids and the maintenance items. You should be able to add or move a power port to the rear of the console by tapping into the console port. I have a dual USB charger port to install in my dash sometime I got on ebay. I added the aux input to my base radio and it works OK with the CD/Aux button, using a write up on here. I've read about the problems others have had with the replacements for the AWD exhaust, so good luck on that.

Certainly look on here for info, and if you can't find something, ask away!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Welcome! You have quite a list. If you had brought that list to me and i happened to be a car saleman (heaven forbid I ever have to sink that low) I would have recommended you just buy a Rav4 hybrid and be done with it! Of course I should have bought a 370z and been done with it but the Vibe was free. Just wondering, did the coils fix the problem or is it still there? Kind of sounds like a leaky intake manifold which is common.
Short cut on your rock chips. Dab the area with some rust convertor, 2 coats. Next day touch them up.
40 mpg? That is Prius territory. AWD Vibe=24?
Sounds like you are the offroad type. I have been thinking how kewl it would be to lift a Vibe, put on some 31/10.50 tires, lightbar on top and so on. Haven't seen one yet. :D
Just got done changing my interior. The three tone thing bugged me also. I didn't change the headliner though. Replacing the foam is a pain and any kind of dye will loosen the foam over time and it will fall. I also realized that the lighter color isn't a heat collector either which these cars need as there is NO insulation in the top. Being in AZ might make the headliner a good place to start. Check out my garage to see what I did. Helped ALOT and mine has a sunroof. I used Colorbond GM Ebony on the panels and it matched prettty good. Your Rhinoliner may be just the ticket to do my floor panels as they will never hold any kind of paint because of wear and tear.
Being in AZ you should have a trans cooler but if you do any kind of a trailer, you gotta have one. That Toyota trans is tuff but it's not a truck trans by no means. Thinking of doing one myself and buying a HF trailer someday.
Just some thoughts. Post on and keep feeding that Vibe your money. :ugeek:
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

Hello All!

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I have put in some custom all-weather mats, dash mat, and have a custom embroidered cargo mat on the way (which I need to check where it's at! ordered it almost 2 months ago...).

Another forgotten item is that the headlight unit is busted, and was sealing up with some silicon, have the new light sitting on my counter, got to take the time to replace it.

Here we call it euro-flare when you take a slightly older car and take the time to dress it up nice, and keep it in good condition. I have tried getting new cars, I purchased my other two cars and have been the only owner (03Vette, 06HD Silverado); but I am just not fond of the sticker price on new cars when I plan to run them to death anyways.... This seems like the best road to me :)

As far as 40mpg goes, I don't actually plan to get that, it is just where I would really like to be. The "off-road" I would be doing with it is basically muddy dirt bulldozer trails at most. Next, regarding the trailer, it would be a lightweight HF one as well, hold a couple of dirt bikes which all together would weight what a car full of fat people like me would weight lol!

I am a little perplexed at the 2.3 quart transmission fluid??? I could change that at every oil change for 12 bucks! More pictures to come, just snapped this one when because I saw you guys asked for one :).

Thanks again!
Rob
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Robert1Stock wrote:just snapped this one when because I saw you guys asked for one :).
Thanks again!
Picture ??????? :?:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

MyVibe
MyVibe
IMG_20160314_170958.jpg (108.7 KiB) Viewed 3800 times
Sorry, had to bring it down to 5% original size :) . I will take better pictures while I am doing some work on it this weekend.

I am a big fan of the all weather mats, they are really good at making me not worry about spilling stuff. Even though I just shampooed the seats the other day lol.

EDIT: Regarding the plugs fixing the slight miss, it did correct it. I have an exhaust leak somewhere that I can also feel, perhaps this is the leak you are speaking of. I will try to locate it these coming weekend, and I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks!
Rob
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad to see you rescued this Vibe and are already in the process of giving it some well deserved TLC! I look forward to seeing more updates from you ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

Quick question, there are Vibe's with rear disc, how hard would it be for me to convert this? I am replacing the hubs, drive axles, pretty much everything back there so.... Anyone have experience doing this?

I have not even begun to look at the back end so for all I know since it is drum, there is a cable going back there instead of hydro lines :D
Rob
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

Update,

I got the cv axle replaced on the driver side, boy was that an easy job! Impact gun, big hammer, big pry bar and it all went smoothly.

I also got the transmission flushed whilst I was down there, put in a new filter & gasket (16.99 for the set) and have to say man is it shifting smoothly.

I ended up putting in about 2.2floz of high mileage ATF and about .2 or .4oz of Lucas stop slip. Really took my time inspecting everything with that pan off and it seems to have paid off. The magnet in the pan didn't have hardly any shavings on it, but boy... That stuff came out as black as motor oil!!!

Another thing I found is that the hub and bearing are actually in good shape, so I left them on there. I used a tap/dye kit to repair the thread and it is holding up great, so I am not going to replace those until they have some signs of heavy wear (or break down).

NOTE: PB Blaster has been enough when combined with my brother in-laws 900ftlbs impact gun to take off rusted parts so if anyone out there is having a hard time.... Borrow money from someone if you have to but his impact gun has saved me SOOOOO many hours of hard work down to a quick half a second.

More to come.
Rob
Robert1Stock

Post by Robert1Stock »

The more to come part.

I started thinking the other day about my rocker panel situation. Paying 300-500 bucks is just not acceptable to me for something that will just look "okay".

I am not saying I want a rugged looking Vibe... but I kind of want a rugged looking Vibe :)

I have a plan to use some aluminum tape to just patch the holes where the rocker panel would be inserted (so that if I don't like it, I can remove it easy) and coat it with under body spray. I found a good black under body spray from 3m which arrived the other day and got some aluminum tape as well as some aluminum sound deadening which will be the base layer to which the under body spray adheres to. I think once this is done, it will have that "rhino liner" look like it can take a hit under there, pretty well.

I will need to see how this looks before I decided if I should try it out on the fender flaring, I doubt it will be smooth but gritty enough to get a meaner look so I'll probably stick with the idea of Rhino liner on these. Just thoughts for now, this project is up for doing next week!
Rob