handmedown03 2003 base Moon and Tunes in Lava baby

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
handmedown03

handmedown03 2003 base Moon and Tunes in Lava baby

Post by handmedown03 »

5 years ago when the trans in our Escape was going out I started looking for a Vibe to replace it. I had came to the conclusion that it was the perfect mating of GMs that I loved and Toyotas that I respected. My orders were to find a Fusion Orange Vibe that had to have a sunroof. Since that was like looking for a unicorn we came to settle on this Lava 03 base from the back row of a local car dealer. I liked it because it was a drive by cable and she was pleased with the hole in the top. I think we gave $4500 for it with 70,000 miles on it. It has a 118,000 miles now. I debadged it the next day and other than some repairs, painting license frames, mounts and a mid spoiler to match the car, left it alone.My wife bought a new Jeep Renegade and seeing the opportunity to get rid of my 91 Toyota 4x4 while it still had value, sold it and became the main driver of the Vibe. I did get the chance to buy 17x7 Scion TC wheels from a coworker. One of the pluses of working in a Toyota bodyshop. I miss that employee discount but I browbeat them into giving me bodyshop retail anyways when I need parts!
Well since I received the handmedown Vibe 4 weeks ago, I have bought Tein springs, painted the hood and the tops of the fenders semi gloss black(more to fix the peeling clear than style), sanded and cleared the headlights (adding a eyebrow to the top that brings the black farther down), changed a caliper, ordered a new front arrowhead and filler decals from Grafexwerks for the arrowhead and locks, painted the grills black (the lowers are broke but member on here is supplying new ones. ;) ), relocated front license plate from factory bracket to in front of lower grills (gave it a more streamlined contour by bending it and frame over my knee :lol: ) and fastened it down with some new stainless theft proof torx screws. Never considered myself a "tuner" but I looked up the definition and "lo and behold" I have always been one.
Can't do alot to this one because I have a 1974 Dodge Charger that likes to devour my money. I call it the "girlfriend". So far the Vibe is getting Tein springs, Tokico struts, new strut mounts, boots, calipers, master cylinder, rear brakes, hatch struts, top and upper rails painted black, wheels are probably going gloss black with custom silver arrowhead centers and open end lug nuts if I can find them. I have a Alpine headunit on the way which will go with the Alpine door speakers it already had. Also put a shorty 5 inch antannae on it. I am in the middle of modding the top rails into a cover so I hope it turns out because I like cheap.
I have always had 2 rules to my restyling of any vehicle I own. The mod must blend with the overall look of the car and not stand out. And second it must look professional. My cheapest mod so far is adding short pieces of convoluted wire tubing to the headrest uprights for instant sport seats. I am thinking about having Pontiac embroidered in silver in the head rests or middle of the seat cover. Since this is going to be my work vehicle I put the back seat down and am making a plywood panel to cover with carpet for the whole rear area to give the Vibe a Australian Ute kinda feel.
Lat weekend I had a 5 inch tint band added to the windshield. For the interior iI have ordered some ColorBond to paint the light gray interior components a Graphite color. The tri tone interior has always bugged me along with the A pillar (windshield for non bodyshop speaking peoples) moulding glaring at you as you walk up to the car. I'm leaving everything headliner area light colored because it needs help from the heat. Currently I am researching sound deadener and insulation to do some luxury mods.
I have been patiently waiting to install my new fender emblems from Sickspeed that have the engine callout on them. Those are going in front of the mirrors on the dividing line between the red and black. Some of my friends are never going to believe it because I have NEVER added a emblem to anything I have ever owned ! I once debadged a new lawn mower, painted the wheels a custom color and added hubcaps to please my OCD nature.

Other than getting it all cleaned and buffed (my wife likes to DRIVE clean cars, not CLEAN them) and fix the tensioner rattle, that's pretty much the story of the handmedown Vibe so far. I may add a Gt wheel, remove the second convertor and sound chamber and add a custom single inlet/ dual outlet muffler, replace the lower a arms with new and upgrade with Energy suspension bushings and detail the sway bars with some paint, Hotchkiss stickers, urethane bushings and some rod end end links. From there this summer may see me repainting the sides red and removing the outside rear door handles. I have always wanted to take the side mouldings off but someone cleared over them doing a repair keeping me from it. Its kinda funny but since driving it, I have noticed the side moulding duplicates the lines in the tailights and on the side of the bumpers and want to keep them. Who knows..........
I have managed to clearcoat my new springs, install my new emblems, install new hatch struts and order some stuff for sound deadening since starting this thread so things are moving along. Hopefully this weekend will see the black all painted and some other stuff done. Here is my one pic for now and I am working on a photobucket account so there may be more if I can figure it out.
vibe resized 2.jpg
vibe resized 2.jpg (100.36 KiB) Viewed 7556 times
tpollauf

Re: handmedown03 2003 base Moon and Tunes in Lava baby

Post by tpollauf »

Looks good ;) Nice long "re-intro" to yourself and what you've accomplished so far. So seeing how this Vibe has only been driven roughly 50k miles in 5 years, does this mean your driving it will add a lot more or stay about the same? I agree about the Orange color options and that they are hard to find. I wanted the 2010 model year in that color but would have lost ALL rebates & incentives when looking back in 2009. Keep up the good work :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to see you started a Garage thread ;)! The Vibe's coming along nicely! I look forward to seeing more updates and pictures from you in the future.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

tpollauf wrote:Looks good ;) Nice long "re-intro" to yourself and what you've accomplished so far. So seeing how this Vibe has only been driven roughly 50k miles in 5 years, does this mean your driving it will add a lot more or stay about the same? I agree about the Orange color options and that they are hard to find. I wanted the 2010 model year in that color but would have lost ALL rebates & incentives when looking back in 2009. Keep up the good work :D
It will probably see a lot more miles with me driving it. I do a lot of parts chasing for work projects and my own never ending list.
Here are pics of recent stuff.
My new Sickspeed emblems. These are high quality and reflective. And yes that is a Napa truck in my reflection.Image Shot of the black on the hood and grill area plus new GM emblem minus Grfxwerks reflective black insert . Notice the small eyebrow I added under the clear on the headlightImage
Clearcoated my new springs so the lettering stays on and they stay pretty.

P.S. Mucho thanxo for vibeenvys link to help dummies post pics. Iam living peroof thaht eet worx.
trb

Post by trb »

Paint looks really good on the hood. I wonder how it would look with the roof and the whole top half painted black too? Can't wait to see how it looks with the new springs on it.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

trb wrote:Paint looks really good on the hood. I wonder how it would look with the roof and the whole top half painted black too? Can't wait to see how it looks with the new springs on it.
Thats the plan or I should say it was. I painted the top and hood again this weekend because my paint supplier pawned a old can of paint on me and it had died back to a gray color. So I reshot it and had the worst amount of dirt ever. It was one of those days when "you shudda just stayed home". Right after i laid down a nice wet coat, the coupler on the hose blew, throwing every bit of dust and crap from every corner of the paint room into the air and landed right in it. I couldn't believe it. Second time repainting the top and third time doing the hood so by default every panel is super slick and straight. I was even in a good mood because I thought this quicky job was finally going to be over and I had tacked and wiped till it was super clean to begin with. We had just cleaned the paint room too or so we thought. So the only way I could save it and not have to sand and remask(the windshield rubber is a killer) was to grab the clear and shoot it so I can colorsand and buff it. So now it is going to have a gloss black hood with the sides in matte to match the fenders and a gloss black top with the sides in matte. It should look okay but not what I wanted and definitely not what I wanted after blowing the last 3 weekends on it. This on top of spending $200 so far on interior paint that doesn't match was not a profitable weekend on the Vibe. Bad Vibes for sure. But like all projects, one day it will be done. :shock:Image And done!
Last edited by handmedown03 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

handmedown03 wrote:P.S. Mucho thanxo for vibeenvys link to help dummies post pics. Iam living peroof thaht eet worx.
:lol: You're very welcome! Glad to see you got it figured out ;)!
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

from this Image

to this. TADA! $29 Ebay special. Awesome quality factory part. May have to weld it and ditch the clamp because there is no way for it not to showImage
I did a little work on the roof caps. Got the front ground down. Considered leaving the back ones and just filling the holes where the bars go in but it may look like this :twisted: Image
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Doing some sound deadner install. GTmat 70 butyl 25% coverage with butyl rope on the braces and all edges then covered with denim based insulation with foil facing and aluminum taped to seal surface. I spent the extra for the butyl on the roof so it would stick in the heat. The factory carpet pad had fallen down and was about to interfere with the sunroof so glad I checked. Working around the sunroof is a bear but I'm taking my time to get everything covered and tight. Glued the insulation up with vinyl top adhesive so it will stay. After I get the headliner in, I am going to work my way down covering with the GTmat 70 till I run out then switching to the GTmat 50 and covering it some thin foam and then a layer of MLV sheeting. On the floor will be the GTmat 50 with the denim insulation turned over to face the foil down and use it to decouple the layer of MLV sheeting. Later on the doors will get done with GTmat 70 on the outer skin, butyl rope on all the bracing I can get to, gt mat on the inner skin, foam then MLV attached to the door by Christmas tree clips. I'm going to do the 1/4s with GTmat 70 on the outer skin, a layer of the denim insulation (foil in) and fill the cavities with good ol' fiberglass insulation sealed inside thick lawnbags. Then GTmat on inner braces, foam and MLV. Pics so far. Will get a better one when I can get outside.Image
Last edited by handmedown03 on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice ;) I like the clean "open area" shop you got there too. I'll assume you'll also do the floorboards and door panels later? That is where the bulk of the road noise comes from. Keep up the good work and looking forward to more updated pics 8-)

handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Look what was growing behind the tailight!Image
Finally got it all black. I think I am going to like it but I may have needed to get the H series of springs to make it look right.Image

" I like the clean "open area" shop you got there too". Yes it is a real blessing. I am currently working for a wealthy individual restoring cars for his collection. He has this building which is about 200 x 45 with a paint room, wash bay and all kinds of tools. And another HUGE building that has cars and stuff in it. I do have to "share" this building with a bunch of old musclecars but I "grin and bear it". :D I am starting to get some flack for working on the Vibe but I have never drove a "ordinary" car so I couldn't leave it alone.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

handmedown03 wrote:Look what was growing behind the tailight!Image
Canned spinach? :lol:
2003 Vibe Base A/T
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Haven't added anything to this thread for awhile. Adding sound deadener has turned into the most time consuming thing I ever started. In fact it kind of burned me out so I have backed off and did some small things. One of which was replacing the rear hatch glass. I got in a hurry and tried to put it back in by myself and got it in a bind and "POW, Holy shop vac filling fragments Batman!". This is why we wear safety glasses folks. You never know when a moment of stupid will erupt. If I didn't wear glasses it would have gotten me for sure. Luckily the tint held a lot of it in place . What a mess. Fortunately I found a glass local.
I put in my Alpine head unit. Alpine is just a little bigger than others so that took some trimming and modifying the install kit. The Scosche SLC-4 interface made it easy to hook up to the factory Moon and Tunes amp. It has lots more features than the factory head unit.
I did finally get the hood repainted and buffed. I alos replaced the rear hatch struts with new ones.
Now I'm painting some interior trim and doing a little at a time to finish the sound deadener.
I swapped out the inside lock decals for silver ones. That is about it for now. Sorry, no pictures. Pictures of broken glass are too sad.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

How did the sound deadening turn out? What do you notice most? Which area do you think helped the most? How much did it cost? Enlighten us!
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Sound deadening burned me out for awhile so I have turned to other things. Buffed the roof.Image

Cleaned the outside.Image

Added some pedal covers with carbon fiber inserts.Image

Installed used leather steering wheel.
Repainted the steering wheel emblem and added GrafexWorx sticker.
Changed over to leds. Red dome light.Image
Got new used centers for the wheels and recleared themImage
Wheel centers taped on with new open end lugnuts. Probably doing the wheels gloss black next.Image
KRR

Post by KRR »

Wow, what a transformation - looking great! 8-)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome work! Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor ;)

handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Gotta buy one more strut, then she is Goiiinnng DOWN. Can't wait.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

She's looking better and better! Keep it up ;)!
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Well I got it dropped. Looks way better and handles pretty good. Ride is stiff but not bad. Added some sick speed fasteners to the engine bay. added front bumper spoilers and took some pics on the way home tonight. I am currently working on a aluminum cover for the footrest, covers for the rails and fixing my tensioner before it flies apart. :shock:
[URL=http://s375.photobucket.com/user/mommym ... 1.jpg.html]ImageImage[/URL]
handmedown03

Post by handmedown03 »

Took this pic of Vibe and 65 GTO I had sitting outside to heat up the top. Could be titled " The two ends of Pontiac".