Treesleavedent's 03 two tone neptune Vibe GT

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
treesleavedents

Treesleavedent's 03 two tone neptune Vibe GT

Post by treesleavedents »

Warning this is a picture heavy thread!!! OP doesn't disappoint!

PIcked up a 2003 two toned neptune with 2 previous owners and 95,000 on the clock. Bought it on April 17th, 2015 for $4,000. Previous owner replaced all 4 tires with sumitomo's and monroe quick-struts in fall 2014.

It has the power package ad the factory Nav system, although no moon roof or subwoofer in the trunk...

The plan is to sort the suspension just a bit more toward the firm and more responsive side. Add some midrange torque and overall HP hopefully landing me somewhere near 180-190 WHP. Figure out how to get a second gen NAV system to work in my car, or get aux input with subwoofer output out of the factory nav system, orrrr last resort install aftermarket single din multimedia receiver...(last ditch option, and the one I went with...) And last of all, keep this beauty shiny and well maintained well into 300,000 miles.

Mod list is as follows.

Exterior:
1. Hella Supertones: installed.
2. Debadge or platidip the cracked front pontiac emblem: not yet.
3. Stubby antennae: not yet.
4. Tint: 35% front, the rest 20% 3M color stable, installed.
5. TRD badge added to the front grill: installed
6. Genvibe stickers front and rear: installed

Interior:
1. Ultraguage: installed and mounted.
2. Hide ultraguage wiring behind panels: kinda, but it's so hot out here I had to leave some out near the screen to remove it and hide it from the sun.
3. Figure out (removed) to do with the stock Nav system: Installed a Pioneer mvh-x560bt. Tucked the USB cable into the glove box, AUX input into the center console cubby. Bluetooth mic on top of the steering column with wiring tucked in the dash.
4. Speaker upgrade. JBL 6.5" components front and rear doors. Custom mounted the tweeters in the rear doors below the window switch.
5. Stealth subwoofer install below the rear floor: not yet
6. Amplifier: Soundstream Picasso micro 5 channel amp in the rear under the floor. Wired everything in and tucked all wiring under the trim: installed.
7. Sound deadening on the firewall and floor: not yet.
8. Custom shift boot: Made and installed out of some black white and grey plaid cloth.
9. Custom center armrest: added an inch of foam to the top of the plastic armrest and recovered in the same material as the shift boot.

Performance:
1. Stainless PPE race header with the fancy collector: Delivered, beautiful, not installed yet.
2. Stainless PPE midpipe with high flow cat and resonater: Delivered, beautiful, not installed yet.
3. Some sort of 2.5" exhaust to finish off, magnaflow muffler for swag credit I suppose: not yet.
4. CAI: Injen one piece cut so the filter doesn't hit the fog light housing, installed.

Suspension:
1. Eibach proline springs: installed.
2. Rear sway bar: not yet.
3. Wheels: Not yet, mainly because $$ isn't exactly in abundance for a teacher...
4. Front strut bar: Installed.

Pictures:
The day I bought her.
Interior with ultraguage.
Installing the Supertones.
hidden loud.
First trip up into the mountains.
Tinted.
Overlooking the Valley
Last edited by treesleavedents on Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 10 times in total.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
gtv237

Re: Treesleavedent's 03 two tone neptune Vibe GT

Post by gtv237 »

Very clean looking vibe. I don't think you'll have a problem reaching your goal of having a high mileage beauty. I have almost 130k and mine its in awesome shape. I'll be at 140k before the year is over. The thing still looks brand new. And not a noise or rattle to be heard.

Keep us updated on your progress!
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I'm also pretty jealous that you're in Phoenix. I plan on moving to Mesa as soon as I am able. How do you like it out there?
treesleavedents

Phoenix is a mixed bag for me. The winters are nice. Summer sucks really bad... Like, really really bad... No motorcycle all summer bad. That's how hot it is. The city is too spread out for my tastes, massive wastes of space and useless uncovered parking lots. Makes no sense why you wouldn't have parking under every shop rather than let your paint and interior bake every day... No trees either.

On the up side the food is absolutely amazing. Prescott and Jerome are day trip distance away along a really fun mountain road, and the salt river is a blast.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

treesleavedents wrote:Phoenix is a mixed bag for me. The winters are nice. Summer sucks really bad... Like, really really bad... No motorcycle all summer bad. That's how hot it is. The city is too spread out for my tastes, massive wastes of spaaaaaace and useless uncovered parking lots. Makes no sense why you wouldn't have parking under every shop rather than let your paint and interior bake every day... No trees either.

On the up side the food is absolutely amazing. Prescott and Jerome are day trip distance away along a really fun mountain road, and the salt river is a blast.
My gparents lived there for a while and everything you just said sounds completely like I remember it. :lol:
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Welcome aboard!

JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Nice find and a very good price. Enjoy this beauty!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Where were you able to get sportlines?
treesleavedents

I bought proline springs, sorry my list should say proline. I didn't want to slam it, I just wanted to stiffen it up a bit and lower about an inch so the prloines will be perfect for me. Just rented spring compressors from autozone today and I'll be trying to get all 4 done in one day this weekend.

PPE messed up and lost my order, so I'm getting the header in stainless and free shipping even though they don't advertise stainless as an option and the shipping wasn't too much. Great customer service from both them and DDperformance research who I ordered the whole PPE exhaust through.

When it did arrive it looked gorgeous though. Now I need to install it.
Last edited by treesleavedents on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
treesleavedents

I've also been in contact with Eonon headquarters in china to try and figure out if this will fit our cars...

http://www.eonon.com/Car-DVD-Players/An ... A5167.html

If it will it looks like a sweet little unit, and the mazda 3 forum swears by them since their application is a bit tricky to fit aftermarket into.
Nathankenney94

Post by Nathankenney94 »

Sweet very clean car love the color even though I am a bit biased . LOL. I used to live in chandler then moved to michigan and have hated since so now working on getting moved back out west but Las vegas this time.
treesleavedents

Tried to get the Eibach springs put in last weekend and got stumped by the top hat bolts... The PO installed monroe quickstruts. I have a ryobi cordless impact driver and I was using a ratchet and a rubber mallet and all I was able to do was spin the top hat. All this was done with the wheels on and the car on the ground. I wanted to break the top hat bolt before I removed the struts... Unfortunately this unseated the rubber cushion that sits in between the top hat and the spring, so now it's loose hanging on the strut inside the spring. I think what I'll have to do is take the struts out and use vise grips to hold the strut from turning while I break the top hat loose. I really wanted to avoid this but I don't think I have any other option...
treesleavedents

Got some big updates to my Vibe DD build. Spent a massively rushed 7 days finishing up the school year, moving apartments, and installing a new head unit, amp, and components front and rear. What a hectic hellish week...

Amp is installed in that the thin, long, hidden storage compartment in the trunk. Ran the 8 gauge power wire down the drivers side with a fuse near the battery. grounded to a factory grounding point on the passenger rear corner. Ran new 16 gauge speaker wires to all 4 doors. Ran 3 sets of RCA cables from the head unit to the amp under the passenger side. Also installed the new Pioneer MVH-X560BT and ran the USB and AUX inputs as well as the Bluetooth mic all hidden behind the dash.
ImageImage

Got everything set up and tuned the gains and HPF enough to satisfy me before I crashed, then packed the car with camping gear and left on a 4 week road trip. I left from phoenix, headed up into the San Jacinto Mountains and Idlewyld. Stopped through LA, then up to Pismo Beach for 3 days. Drove the PCH up to Monteray then headed inland. Spent a week in Yosemite, stopped off at Rye Patch park in Nevada where I topped the car out on a back country road. It topped out at 131MPH, not bad! Spent a rainy 4th of July in Salt Lake City, then 8 days in Yellowstone. Headed south to the Grand Tetons, then spent 2 nights and 3 days backpacking in Rocky Mountain National Park. Stopped off in Durango, then headed back to Phoenix. Total Mileage was 5036 miles. What an amazing trip and a great way to get in touch with a new car. Still not fully used to the clutch though, which embarrasses me after such a long trip. Maybe it needs a new clutch? 1st gear seems to need a bit of slip as it bogs down really easily. Then again maybe that's just the nature of such a high revving motor... Either way it's a (removed) on hills from a stop, always makes me feel guilty for slipping the clutch to get a smooth start.

Next up is to install the rear springs and find some time to do the fiberglass work to make a sub box to hide under the rear floor. Not sure if I'm going to put the sub under the left or right side, but either way I'm going to be cutting into the plastic storage box that sits on top of the spare. Probably should find a second one to have just in case... I also need to do some soul searching and find the perfect set of 17's to put on the car. I'm thinking a more vintage Japanese style. Nothing thin and open, most likely something thick and beautiful. I really want to get rid of the nasty offset and flush the wheels out a bit more as well as moving up in tire size. Right now I'm no factory steelies with hubcaps and 205 width tires. I'm thinking I want to run a 225 or 235. Most likely a 225 since they're easily available.

I also have to replace the passenger side headlight. I punted a deer off the road driving into Yosemite at 4 am and while I got lucky and it didn't damage the bumper, it did crack the headlight though and now it has condensation inside the light. Time to replace it.
Last edited by treesleavedents on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
treesleavedents

Finally got the rear springs on! Much easier than the fronts but I did have to remove the interior to do it...

Also bought some stickers because youth. Obviously I started with the genvibe decals.
Then I picked up TRD ones with kanji on them, Yamaha ones, a hand grenade with the rising sun inside, plus a domo-kun made in japan barcode with kanji.
I also found some JDM air fresheners at my local toyota dealership. Bought white peach because cherry squash sounded gross. Plus white peach had the rising sun.

I need to find a place to put all my new stickers... I don't want to put em someplace obvious, most likely hide em somewhere under the hood, but with sound dampener mounted on the underside of the hood there isn't much room. I'll most likely end up cutting away just enough of it to put the stickers on. I did find places around the bay to tuck em, but it would've looked to haphazard and not cohesive at all. I'm going for a stealth/sleeper build so it needs to be clean.

Side note, if anyone knows where to get a humorous 91 octane only sticker for inside the fuel door, please let me know!

Also how the heck do I post pics from my phone?
Last edited by treesleavedents on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.
treesleavedents

On top of the rockies in Rocky Mountain National Park. This is the vibe with Eibach prolines on the front but not on the rear.
Sunset over idlewyld, CA
All packed for the trip
Last edited by treesleavedents on Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
treesleavedents

Ebay had a deal on car parts a week or so ago. Spend $100 get $20 off. So naturally I bought some stuff. Picked up new wheel well liners, an ebay strut tower bar, a TRD logo for the grill, and some LED bulbs for all the interior lights. Figured not bad for $80 and change. I also got tired of looking at my worn out shift boot, so a $6 trip to JoAnn fabrics and a bunch of seam ripping, beer, and cursing later I now have a nice new shift boot as well! I do need to pick up some fabric adhesive to put the foam support back in the shift boot, but that depends on if I decide I like it how it is now instead. I also have leftovers, which I think I'm going to use to cover the arm rest so I can put some foam down and have a nice soft place for my elbow while driving, rather than the hard plastic it is now.

I also started to fancy the TRD Scion FR-S wheels... 18 inch, 35 offset, staggered 7 wide in front 7.5 in the rear. They would fit perfectly and hopefully eliminate the nasty looking overhang that I suffer from now. But as with all things, they're expensive! So for now it's just a covet them situation...

Here's some juicy pics though.

I tried to line up the TRD logo as best I could with the edge of the hood, I hope it looks OK. Also peekaboo Hella supertones.

Don't mind my little good luck voodoo guy, he's been in almost every car I've owned to good effect. I used the old shift boot as a pattern and tried to match the seam locations as best I could. For a first try I think it looks pretty good. And I've got plenty of material to work with if I want to make another one.

He's a trooper. I do worry a bit that the fabric will collect dirt, but hey, it looks cool!
treesleavedents

Update time!

Since I last posted I've gotten a fair bit done on the vibe. For starters I've officially rolled over 14,000 miles since I bought the car!

Repairs done/needed:
-The dreaded recirculation gear stripped a tooth so I pulled it out last weds and rotated the gear 180 degrees. The top screw holding the assembly in is such a (removed) to get back in! Took every ounce of finger strength I had...

-I replaced the front wheel well liners following Derf's youtube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0kT2lF-lmQ It went really well and they look great but I need to mess with the fitment of the passenger side one. In a heavy rain some water got in through a ripple in the plastic on the rear edge and popped the liner out so it was rubbing the tire. It popped back really easily, but I worry that in another rainstorm it would do the same thing.

-I also noticed that my passenger side fog lamp has developed a crack in the glass...

-Passenger headlight is still cracked, too broke to fix currently.

-I think I might need to address a noise with the power steering. I hear a whining? sort of noise on low speed corners.

-Still need to replace the left backlight in the HVAC control panel.

-I replaced the dash kit that came with my single din stereo, it had broken a tab and was squeaking something fierce.

-Some asshat threw a rock into the parking lot at work and dented my hood. I'm currently saving up money to pay the deductible to get it fixed.

-Paid $150 to get the whole car washed, buffed, polished, and waxed with nano-wax. Unfortunately they didn't warn me that the bugs on the front of the car wouldn't be cleaned off during this process. The guy who buffed and polished the car claimed that if you leave bugs on the car for any length of time in the AZ heat that they bake on. I'm debating going back and arguing with a manager for a partial refund or something. But on the plus side the car looks awesome right now. The Neptune really looks brilliantly blue when properly cared for. I need to buy a DA orbital machine so I can do it myself.

New parts:
Installed an ebay strut tower bar. Not sure if it actually does anything but hey it looks pretty...
treesleavedents

Forgot to add that I also finished adding foam and new cloth to the center armrest to have it match the shift boot I made.

Foam added only to the top of the armrest.

Almost done.

Installed!
treesleavedents

Got my performance bonus for work so I was able to pick up some more stuff! woohoo!

Ordered a new passenger headlight to replace the current cracked one. $118 on amazon. Ordered a new passenger fog light because suddenly that's cracked as well, $37 on amazon. Also ordered the Injen RD2082p CAI intake for $220 on amazon. Lastly I ordered a new cabin air filter for $7.80 off of amazon.

Gonna be looking for a DA buffer/polisher on black friday as I'd like to get into buffing and polishing the car myself. Any advice on where to look would be great. Also any advice on how to get the bugs off my front bumper...
Derf

Post by Derf »

Bugs are a constant problem. I have used lighter fluid to remove some, it does not harm the paint, but it will remove your wax job. Depending on how baked on they are, some time with a clay bar might remove the smaller spots. If they have been on for an extended period your options get limited. Bug guts are acidic, etching the paint, making them somewhat permanent.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
treesleavedents

Bugs have been on there for a few weeks now. I've washed the car a few times plus paid to have it waxed, buffed, and polished. However they idiots at the car wash just buffed the bugs INTO the paint rather than removing them first... My fault, should've just done it myself in the first place...

I did pull off the front bumper today to install the Injen CAI as well as the new passenger headlight and fog light. Not sure if I got the right intake though... Mine seems made for the '04-'06 Vibe GT with the extra air pump stuff as those steps and an extra hose was included in the kit and directions. Seems to work with how I've jury rigged it though, so who knows.

Bumper removed.

Intake goodness.

All done!
treesleavedents

treesleavedents

Wow, apparently I haven't updated this in a loooong while. The car is now at 114,000 Miles about a year after I bought it. So I've put about 20k on it in a year. Luckily my job is about 5 min from my house so I really don't commute much.

I returned the Injen CAI and got the correct one for the 2003. It installed much better with no loose or leftover hoses. I did have to cut about 2 inches off of the intake so that the filter would clear the fog lamp. That was a pain, but no matter how I adjusted or tried to install the intake differently, it needed to be done.

I had a wire from my stereo install rub through the heat shrink where I soldered it. Caused the TAIL fuse to blow constantly under the dash leaving me with no rear running lights. That was fun...

WARNING: do NOT buy eagle eyes replacement headlights...

Still haven't gotten a headlight to replace the cracked one. Well I did, but it wouldn't adjust up, returned it for a new one which promptly did the same thing. Returned it for good and ordered one off ebay. Which turned out to be the same brand, and was broken upon arrival. Got a replacement one from the ebay seller a week ago and haven't braved myself up enough to open it. Anyone have a good source for a replacement passenger headlight that isn't $300?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

treesleavedents wrote:Well I did, but it wouldn't adjust up
The adjustment screw is getting stripped out for some reason. theretrofitsource sells them, but you'd have to open the headlight and gently pull the reflector out to replace it, and there's no telling what is making the adjuster faulty.

Probably your best option is to get some salvaged lights, sand off all the sealant and UV damage, then get a body shop to shoot them with some professional clearcoat.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
treesleavedents

I'm on the fourth Eagle Eyes headlight now, I think they all have issues with the adjustment screw. Most likely just a bad manufacturer defect in the whole production line considering I've ordered from 2 separate sources now. I also notice that the beam put out by the Eagle Eyes light is very uneven and has a spike down the center, I'll have to take pics soon to show you guys. I'm really disappointed though, and now trying to save up for an actual OEM light...
chuckbeck

Post by chuckbeck »

I had the same problem with my headlight adjuster when I retrofitted projectors. I had to pull the housing apart again and I used a plastic drywall anchor and that holds well. You have to bake the headlight assembly and open it up, but it isn't difficult.
treesleavedents

It's been a while since I've posted and sadly instead of posting my PPE exhaust install like I had planned I have to post some bad news...

My poor little vibe was rear ended at a stop light. I'm OK. It was really low speed. We were both stopped at a red light. When the light turned green the driver behind me drove straight into me instead of waiting for me to go. He was driving a 99 Jeep cherokee with a lift kit and a steel front bumper. My tailgate got punched in pretty bad, but it left the rest of the car relatively undamaged. Still drives just fine.

Here's where it gets super sad. His insurance company is totalling my vibe... The repair estimate is roughly $3100, which has me freaked out that they will offer me less than that for the car. Considering I haven't even owned her for 2 years yet I still owe $950 on the loan. I think I can safely argue that market value is about $4500-$5000 but I know it's going to be a battle and it pisses me off since none of this was my fault.

I'm also new to all this. I've never dealt with an insurance company other than making a chipped windshield claim. I'm a teacher so I can't afford to buy a new car at all. I'm pissed as F**K that a salvage title will ruin the cars resale value and have what I assume will be a negative affect on my insurance costs to keep it covered with collision coverage...

Sorry for the long rant. I'm just incredibly frustrated that I might have to give up a car that I've grown to love because my profession doesn't pay enough and some a**hat insurance company won't cover the repairs and is trying to stiff me on the value.
treesleavedents

korax234

Post by korax234 »

That doesn't look like $3100 in repairs? new hatch and interior pieces.

Need to see what the inside looks like it might have bent both rears inside.
I would just keep the car with salvage title fix it and save up for another car.

03 GT's Are the best ones to have.
treesleavedents

Sadly the body panel behind the bumper was buckled due to the stress from the locked hatch pulling on it when hit. The 3100 comes from fixing the buckled panel so a new hatch will operate properly. I do plan on keeping her, but she will most likely be renamed the red a**ed bonobo as the replacement hatch the shop bought is red and I'd like to save the money instead of repainting it.
treesleavedents

Here's an album of the damage visible after the body shop tore her down for the full estimate.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Pr5Vs
Derf

Post by Derf »

That sucks. Did you approach the insurance company about a counter offer? Sounds likes the at fault adjuster just discounted your Vibe as another "old" car. Here is an article that might help get your more for your damages:
http://www.insurance.com/auto-insurance ... d-car.aspx

I would suggest countering with vehicles likes your GT, low miles in excellent condition. Your list of upgrades on Genvibe will help build value on your car. Make sure to mention the upgrades, newer tires etc. If you can get the value built up, the repairs could be less than totaling the car. Which will save you the hassle of the salvage title and paying the difference in repairs. Given the damage, also point out that no mechanical damage was sustained by the drive train.

Once repairs are completed go over the repairs. Many body shops skimp on paint and trim, leading to rust and trim issues. Being in AZ, the rust may not be much of an issue
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
korax234

Post by korax234 »

If they estimate $3100 in repairs....it will be hard to tell the insurance company your car is worth 6k or more. I bought my 03 GT with 73k miles on it back in April or May for $4200.00 So I think no matter what it will be totaled once it goes past like 70% the value of the car it's totaled.
I would just see what the offer is to also keep the car and just get a hammer straighten it out the best you can and put a hatch and bumper cover on it and drive it. Then use the money you got from an insurance company and save up for another car.

Then you can mod this one and do some track days at Phoenix International Raceway!!!!

I lived in Casa Grande for 10 years I moved back to Ohio last December BTW.
treesleavedents

Installed my PPE header and mid-pipe today. Gonna get the axle back welded up and installed tomorrow.
treesleavedents

Exhaust was in and too loud and then I left for Korea. Was only planning on being there for one year bu when Covid hit I decided to stay where it was safe. Having just got back home, I've got some time and money I'm willing to spend on the car. I've decided to make a little youtube series out of it. Enjoy!

On the list of planned mods for this current refit are:
used TRD LSD
Clutch
Radiator
Radiator hoses
Bi-xenon projector headlight retrofit
Custom LED interior light package
Hardwired dashcam, 2 wireless charging points, and a mixture of USB and usbc outlets
custom fiberglass hidden subwoofer enclosure
Corbeau GTS 2 seats
Custom door upholstery to match the custom shift boot and arm rest
Stainless steel brake hoses
Painted calipers
Painted valve cover
Polished intake manifold
Lift bolts and other maintenance items
Catch can
Helmholtz quarter wave resonator
New wheels
and other stuff I can't remember.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aGvKhVb79w&t=3s

It'll be interesting to compare this list to what I actually end up doing as well as comparing it to the list I made when I first bought the car, to the final few items I would like to install for the finishing touches...
treesleavedents

Episode 4 is up!

Video is a bit backlogged so currently I have the trans out at MWR getting an Mfactory LSD installed. Pulling the calipers and valve cover today to prep for paint. Unfortunately I have a deadline of NOV 9TH to finish this so I'm rushing...

I could really use advice on polishing the intake manifold runners, replacing lift bolts, checking VVL screens, general maintanence or things I should look for while I've got access? The car has sat for 3 years so I'd like to really give it a good once over and check anything that needs it. It's got 165k miles and I've had it since 107k. Sadly no clue on past history.

I've yet to really give it a good clean and check for leaks but I'll do that right before I wire wheel all the rust I can find.
Any recommendations on good spray paint to use to cover exposed bare metal and protect it from rusting again?

https://youtu.be/mR410G80Cgw