csxt8058's 2010 Vibe AWD 'Project Vibe'

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
csxt8058

csxt8058's 2010 Vibe AWD 'Project Vibe'

Post by csxt8058 »

Hello one and all Vibe owners! It's JR Stevens and I'm returning after being away for some time...way too long actually. I've done several things to the Vibe since I was last active here and I'll be doing a whole new garage here with everything that has been done from the beginning up to now. So for now, here's a look at what I call 'Project Vibe'...and I will explain that a bit later. This pic was from last summer and unfortunately the weather is not the best for photos right now in far northern NY, but I'll do my best to add photos when we get nice days.

Last edited by csxt8058 on Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
lannvouivre

Re: csxt8058's 2010 Vibe AWD 'Project Vibe'

Post by lannvouivre »

Here's my response
Attachments
0530141156-00.jpg
0530141156-00.jpg (242.81 KiB) Viewed 8879 times
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

I like the response...a Vibe and trains, two of my favorite things.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to see you posting again JR! I look forward to seeing more updated pictures!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Thank you Carrie! I think you'll be pleased with at least one of my updates ;)

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Time for some updates. I apologize in advance to the 'senior' members who may have see some of my upgrades already in the past, but I didn't want to leave any gaps in my new garage.

So this is the Vibe in winter mode right now. It was clean until an afternoon of train chasing yesterday took care of that.

One of the first things I did was install the white overlay for the engine cover. I had some doubts of how long it would last, but five years later it looks good as new. I normally try to keep under the hood clean, but with the near constant fight with road grime in the winter, it's not easy.

This sticker has always gotten some looks and questions as to just how much power is running through that fuse box.

I added this for something different and it goes along with the railfan hobby. SD70M is a GM built locomotive that several railroads use today, I had the font match the style used on Norfolk Southern locomotives and you can see where it is applied on the actual locomotive on the bottom right of the number in the photo.

This is one of my more recent upgrades to the Vibe. I installed a set of the door sill plates last spring and I like how they turned out. The rear ones are smaller without the Vibe logo.

I have some more goodies to show but those will be another time.

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Nice upgrades JR! I like the door sill plates. I'm still deciding whether I'd like to get them for our Vibes or not though. I think the Vibe logo on the front ones may be overkill with the Vibe logos on the front floor mats :|.
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

So it's been extremely cold and snowy here, not very conducive to pics unfortunately. So until it warms up enough that I can take some more photos without losing my fingers, here's another of Project Vibe when it was much warmer.

Imagehorn by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibenvy wrote:Nice upgrades JR! I like the door sill plates. I'm still deciding whether I'd like to get them for our Vibes or not though. I think the Vibe logo on the front ones may be overkill with the Vibe logos on the front floor mats :|.
Thanks Carrie! The logo floor mats, was that an option for all the Vibes or strictly a GT model item? I could see how it could be too much with both in close proximity.

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

csxt8058 wrote:Thanks Carrie! The logo floor mats, was that an option for all the Vibes or strictly a GT model item? I could see how it could be too much with both in close proximity.
They were an available accessory from GM. I ordered the GM rubber floor and cargo mats as soon as I got my Vibe and did the same when my mom got hers. Unfortunately, GM discontinued them a few years ago when the whole "Toyota unintended acceleration" thing was going on, so they are pretty much impossible to find now. I love them. Our carpet still looks brand new because of them and they are very sturdy and easy to clean. I take them to the car wash, hang them on the wall with the floor mat clips they have and spray the heck out of them with the high pressure sprayer.

On a bit of a side note, you can still get the GM cargo mat though (GM #19170827).

Love that picture of the Vibe all nice and clean! I can't wait for warmer weather. Our poor Vibes look horrible :(.
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibenvy wrote:
csxt8058 wrote:Thanks Carrie! The logo floor mats, was that an option for all the Vibes or strictly a GT model item? I could see how it could be too much with both in close proximity.
They were an available accessory from GM. I ordered the GM rubber floor and cargo mats as soon as I got my Vibe and did the same when my mom got hers. Unfortunately, GM discontinued them a few years ago when the whole "Toyota unintended acceleration" thing was going on, so they are pretty much impossible to find now. I love them. Our carpet still looks brand new because of them and they are very sturdy and easy to clean. I take them to the car wash, hang them on the wall with the floor mat clips they have and spray the heck out of them with the high pressure sprayer.

On a bit of a side note, you can still get the GM cargo mat though (GM #19170827).

Love that picture of the Vibe all nice and clean! I can't wait for warmer weather. Our poor Vibes look horrible :(.
That's good to know. I took the carpet mats out right after I got it and I've used the thick rubber mats with the grooves and channels all through them and they've held up well. I always tap my boots out before getting in this time of year, but no matter what the snow and salt still find their way into the Vibe.

And yes, the Vibe is definitely a mess as well.....I'm far beyond tired of winter this year. Just when I think I could take it for a wash, we get some 'nuisance snow' and everything is a mess again.

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Well the temperature actually got on the above zero side today without a wind chill, so I took a couple more pics.

First is the chrome inlay cover around the shift console. I got this from another member here (thank you Carrie), and it adds a nice look to the inside of the Vibe with the chrome accents around the heater vents, etc. Excuse the dirty floor mats and dust, it's the worse time of year to keep the interior clean :|

Image001 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

I felt it was kind of a kick in the pants that all of the Vibe models up until '09 all came with fog lights, but the '09 and '10 models other than the GT didn't all have them. It seemed it was an extra add on and my Vibe was one of the unfortunate ones that did not come with them. I left it like that for a while, but decided last year to get the factory fog lights and I had them installed and now the Vibe looks much better I think. It looked very plain in the front without them.

Image002 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

That's all for now, I've got a couple more items but we'll wait for the next warm day to share those.

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Love the chrome shifter overlay (you're very welcome ;)!) and the factory fog lights JR! Can't wait to see more pictures.
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Giving the Vibe some attention today, it's a nice day, the snow is melting and some attention is way overdue. So we did this today to start with, I could tell a difference almost immediately with the idle.

ImageMAF sensor by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

Once that was done, I figured why not take some pics of another upgrade to Project Vibe, and by far this has been the best one yet. This was a nice late Christmas present to myself...nice and new out of the box back in December

Image10407380_761176607304033_668983818333602932_n by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

Image10891569_761176877304006_8434193989686496817_n by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

All installed on the Vibe with about two months on it! I toyed with the idea of doing some sort of exhaust for the Vibe, but I didn't want something that had to built around the back end of the car, or something loud and obnoxious. I wanted something made to fit without mush fuss. I found the Magnaflow catback online and then checked on here to see if anyone had purchased it. How funny was it that the first thing that came up was Carrie's '09 with the Magnaflow catback and after reading her reviews of it, I went through the same Hott Exhaust website and after a great experience with them, including a huge discount coupon, I got it here and installed it myself in a couple hours. A big thank you to her for posting that info for us. :D

Image001 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

Image002 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

The sound is absolutely perfect and the low end pull that the Vibe has now is a huge improvement over the factory system. I'm not a fast or aggressive driver, in fact I drive like the stereotype 'old man', most of the time, unless I'm chasing down some rare locomotives or something ;) . That said, it still makes a big difference in how the Vibe performs at all speeds. The tip looks good and fits nicely into the cutout already there. I've had it on the Vibe for about two months and it definitely makes the drive more fun :D

Image003 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

I added the nice decal that was included with the system to the rear window with my genvibe decal. I have a new one here that I'm going to put on once the weather improves, that one has been on the Vibe since '09.

Image004 by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

So that wraps up today's adventures. The whole story behind Project Vibe and how it came to be will be forthcoming.

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

csxt8058 wrote:I toyed with the idea of doing some sort of exhaust for the Vibe, but I didn't want something that had to built around the back end of the car, or something loud and obnoxious. I wanted something made to fit without mush fuss. I found the Magnaflow catback online and then checked on here to see if anyone had purchased it. How funny was it that the first thing that came up was Carrie's '09 with the Magnaflow catback and after reading her reviews of it, I went through the same Hott Exhaust website and after a great experience with them, including a huge discount coupon, I got it here and installed it myself in a couple hours. A big thank you to her for posting that info for us. :D
I just got the biggest smile on my face while reading this! Things like this are exactly why I'm a member here and why I love GenVibe so much! I'm so glad my thoughts on the exhaust led you to get it for your own Vibe and that you are really happy with it. I'm also glad to hear you went through Hott Exhaust and had a great experience just like I did! I had dealt with them years back when I ordered some Magnaflow parts for my former Sunfire and I'm glad I thought to check them out again before getting the exhaust for my Vibe last summer.

Although my parents now affectionately refer to my Vibe as "The Hot Rod", I too am very happy with the sound of the exhaust and I can't wait to get one on my mom's Vibe (she's looking forward to it as much as I am :P!). I drive like "an old lady" the majority of the time, but the exhaust still adds just enough noise even when simply cruising to make driving the Vibe even more enjoyable.

Once again, you are very welcome for the info, reviews, etc. on the exhaust. As always, I look forward to seeing what else you have in store :)!

P.S. I got to clean both our Vibes yesterday, because as you said, the weather's finally getting nicer here too. There's no feeling like the feeling of cruising around in a nice clean Vibe with a great sounding Magnaflow exhaust :cool:!!!
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

I figured you'd like this post once I got around to sharing the pictures ;) My co worker during the day is a big Jeep fan and owner and he kind of picks on me about the Vibe and the way I drive, almost daily but it's all in good fun. He was quite surprised when I showed up to work with the new exhaust installed...gave me two thumbs up though for going with something well made and a good sound.

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Out doing some railfanning this evening and with awesome light, decided to include Project Vibe with the train. The train was stopped awating a new crew to come on duty and had just crossed the border into the US earlier this afternoon, which is only about a 1/4 mile from where I'm standing.

ImageThe Vibe at Rouses Point at sunset by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr

JR

RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

JR, can you talk a bit about the antenna you have mounted at the rear of your car? I noticed in one of the previous pics you had a handheld radio with a cable attached, likely running to that antenna? I would like to see how you mounted the antenna on the roof rack(?) I take it the radio and antenna are for train monitoring?

Myself, I am looking to mount a part-time antenna for monitoring HF / shortwave.

Great to see your enthusiasm for your hobbies and Vibe.

2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Awesome picture JR! My cousin's a conductor for CN!
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

RadioFreeVibe wrote:JR, can you talk a bit about the antenna you have mounted at the rear of your car? I noticed in one of the previous pics you had a handheld radio with a cable attached, likely running to that antenna? I would like to see how you mounted the antenna on the roof rack(?) I take it the radio and antenna are for train monitoring?

Myself, I am looking to mount a part-time antenna for monitoring HF / shortwave.

Great to see your enthusiasm for your hobbies and Vibe.

Absolutely...it's just a standard magnetic antenna and it's actually on the roof of the Vibe, although it looks like it's on the rack. I just ran the cable through the hinge area, along the inside edge of the hatch, tucked it under the rear seat and up the radio that sits in the cup holder. I'm going to be upgrading to a Kenwood radio soon to gain farther range. You are correct that I use it for keeping tabs of the rail activity in the area when I'm away from the house.

The railfan hobby is certainly well known, but probably one of the most misunderstood. You tell people about it and there's always someone that tries to wrap their head around it...wait you do what? There's just something about that much rolling steel and the raw power from diesel and electricity combined to move it that stirs your soul when it passes. Not to mention seeing locomotives and railroad cars from all across the country, each one with a story and history behind it. Thanks for asking!

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibenvy wrote:Awesome picture JR! My cousin's a conductor for CN!
Thank you Carrie, that's great to hear that you have railroading in your family :) I did my time on CSX for a while and then decided to enjoy railroads as a hobby instead of a career, but I have much respect for those that do day in and day out.

It's kind of a treat to see Canadian National locomotives around here, as opposed to Canadian Pacific or Norfolk Southern as they run the trains that go through here, so I kind of go out my of way to see and photograph them.

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I still remember when my cousin (the one that now works for CN) was a kid and would be visiting our grandparents who live in downtown Sandwich a block from the railroad tracks. He would hear a train coming and go running full speed outside to watch it go by. He was obsessed! Our grandpa was the same way as was my uncle (my cousin's dad). My cousin now has an almost 6 year old son who is obsessed with Thomas (hey, you gotta start somewhere :P!).

I live further away from the tracks, but can still hear the trains going through town. It's pretty neat to hear the California Zephyr heading west through town every night like clock work right around 7:00 PM CST!
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibenvy wrote:I still remember when my cousin (the one that now works for CN) was a kid and would be visiting our grandparents who live in downtown Sandwich a block from the railroad tracks. He would hear a train coming and go running full speed outside to watch it go by. He was obsessed! Our grandpa was the same way as was my uncle (my cousin's dad). My cousin now has an almost 6 year old son who is obsessed with Thomas (hey, you gotta start somewhere :P!).

I live further away from the tracks, but can still hear the trains going through town. It's pretty neat to hear the California Zephyr heading west through town every night like clock work right around 7:00 PM CST!
That is so cool! We live about a mile from the railroad and the tracks cross several streets within earshot so hearing the horns through all the crossings brings a smile to face every time. Northbound trains headed to Canada climb upgrade past the house and that's just an awesome sound on a clear and calm night. I always look forward to warm weather so we can open the windows and listen to the sound grow and fade as the trains pass.

JR

RadioFreeVibe

Post by RadioFreeVibe »

JR, thanks for the info on the radio and antenna. I may try something similar.

And when you can, more Vibe + train pix please!
2005 AWD Vibe "Clementine" 117,000 km
oem crossbars * f/t power point * fog lights mod
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Been kind of busy doing house stuff as my wife and I are preparing to sell our home and we'll be moving to Virginia hopefully by the middle of summer, so I haven't done much with Project Vibe.

I recently bought an extended warranty for it though as my original was up in August, so that's all taken care of and I'll have another three years or 36,000 miles of worry free driving.

I also got the horns back out again and I put one of favorite five chime models on board for a few weeks before I change it out for something different.

ImageThe horns have returned with the nice weather. by The Plattsburg Railfan, on Flickr
JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Yay! The horns are back :twisted:!
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

It's always amusing when someone who hasn't seen them before spies them for the first time and asks...what is that, a speaker or something? Once I enlighten them it's....oh wow, that must be something!!

Seeing them on a small car like the Vibe, most everyone who has heard them at first assumes that they won't be as loud as a locomotive, and while they don't have the staying power of an engine, since I'm limited on the size of my air tank, they are still much louder than they expect and then the laughs and 'colorful metaphors' start to fly!!

JR

vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

CSXT: i took note of this engine standing at a maintenance facility. I am not a RR buff, but I thought you might enjoy the pic.

IOWA INTERSTATE ENGINE - small pic.jpg
IOWA INTERSTATE ENGINE - small pic.jpg (39.09 KiB) Viewed 8532 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Very cool, thank you for that! The Iowa Interstate has a pretty classy paint scheme.

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

I don't know if I have ever posted a video of Project Vibe in action with the horns on it, so I thought I'd share this from a couple nights ago when I went out to my usual recording location and got this of the 5 chime horn I have on the Vibe in the photo a couple posts up. My wife always helps me out with this by doing the recording for me, but the black flies that you hear buzzing around a few times, certainly didn't help!! There's plenty of my other videos on there as well of some of my other horns and railroad stuff, if so inclined.

https://youtu.be/CI8b6rVG9ek

JR

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

That's so awesome. I live next to a train depo so I hear the horn a lot. It's funny to see/hear it coming from a tiny little Vibe.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

lannvouivre wrote:That's so awesome. I live next to a train depo so I hear the horn a lot. It's funny to see/hear it coming from a tiny little Vibe.
Thanks! So many feel the same way, they aren't expecting the voice of a locomotive from a Vibe :)

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Rotated the tires today on Project Vibe. The wheels were getting a little rusty behind the hubcaps so while I had them off, I decided to repaint them. They look much better and I figured I'd take a pic before I put the hubcaps back on. The paint is a bit more flat than the factory, but I prefer that over ending up more glossy.

ImageRepainted the steelies by JR Stevens, on Flickr

JR

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looks great JR! It always make me cringe when I see a Vibe, or any vehicle for that matter, that has rusty steelies. It's not like it's a huge deal to re-paint them, but it makes a world of difference in the overall appearance of the vehicle.

I too prefer a matte finish over a glossy finish, especially for something like steelies.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

csxt8058 wrote:I don't know if I have ever posted a video of Project Vibe in action with the horns on it, so I thought I'd share this from a couple nights ago when I went out to my usual recording location and got this of the 5 chime horn I have on the Vibe in the photo a couple posts up. My wife always helps me out with this by doing the recording for me, but the black flies that you hear buzzing around a few times, certainly didn't help!! There's plenty of my other videos on there as well of some of my other horns and railroad stuff, if so inclined.

JR
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ranger: "Sir, you are disturbing the peace!"
Nathan: "I heard it too, but I swear it wasn't me!"
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibrologist wrote:
csxt8058 wrote:I don't know if I have ever posted a video of Project Vibe in action with the horns on it, so I thought I'd share this from a couple nights ago when I went out to my usual recording location and got this of the 5 chime horn I have on the Vibe in the photo a couple posts up. My wife always helps me out with this by doing the recording for me, but the black flies that you hear buzzing around a few times, certainly didn't help!! There's plenty of my other videos on there as well of some of my other horns and railroad stuff, if so inclined.

JR
Nathan: "I heard it too, but I swear it wasn't me!"[/quote

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

csxt8058 wrote:
vibrologist wrote:

JR
Nathan: "I heard it too, but I swear it wasn't me!"[/quote

Ha ha!! So far we have yet to encounter anyone else up there while doing recordings, although I have to think on a good evening with the right temps., I'm sure someone would hear them and wonder why there is a locomotive horn coming from the woods. :)

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

vibenvy wrote:Looks great JR! It always make me cringe when I see a Vibe, or any vehicle for that matter, that has rusty steelies. It's not like it's a huge deal to re-paint them, but it makes a world of difference in the overall appearance of the vehicle.

I too prefer a matte finish over a glossy finish, especially for something like steelies.
Thanks Carrie! I wholeheartedly agree with keeping the steel wheels painted and rust free. I've seen some pretty rough looking steelies on some Vibes and the odd Matrix once in a while around here.

JR

csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

So the last photo I had with Project Vibe and a train had the Vibe up close and the train in the distance. Well tonight I headed into town just a couple miles from home and got this photo of the Vibe as a southbound headed through town from kind of the opposite spectrum. You can certainly tell how large the locomotives are compared to average sized cars and why when they get hit, it's usually not a good outcome.

JR

ImageCP 6251 leading on the 650 by JR Stevens, on Flickr