Dustadorre's 2003 Vibe Base

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
dustadorre

Dustadorre's 2003 Vibe Base

Post by dustadorre »

Hello fellow Viberz! I have had my silver '03 Vibe since about February and I could not be happier (even with all of the little things I have had to fix on the way).

Before the Vibe I was driving a '90 Oldsmobile 88 Royale which was running on its last legs.

When I found it on Craigslist at a dealer in El Cajon CA, it was not in horrible shape, but lets say I was able to talk the dealer down about 2 grand after walking around and pointing out things I would have to fix myself:

-The backseat was not bolted down at all nor did it have the bolts for it. Along with that there were no bolts for the seat belts either.
-There is a whole in the hatch door at the bottom and the plastic on the back of the seats and the cargo area are all scratched up and were painted with silver spray paint.
-The stock radio did not work and the cabin lights were also non existent along with the high mount brake light.
-All of the fluids were really dirty and the anti-freeze was replaced with water.
-The dealer said it was not in an accident but I saw that the front fascia was being held on with rope and a corner where the cladding meets the body that has exposed bondo.

I have resolved most of these issues like the seats, belts, radio, anti-freeze, fluids, cabin lights, and the brake light. I have yet to get to the rope and bondo since it seems to be secure for the time being.

Since I have created a two-tone paint with plastidip on the top and the hood and front. I also plastidipped the silver accent dash pieces in the cabin. I am looking to paint it the same maroon color as my Oldsmobile and plastidip the body cladding black. I also want to paint the pieces I painted in the interior the same maroon color.

I also plan on getting some higher walled tires with a smaller wheel to smooth out the ride just a little bit. The next few posts will be pictures of my Vibey (my wife named it...)

dustadorre

Re: Dustadorre's 2003 Vibe Base

Post by dustadorre »

dustadorre

Post by dustadorre »

dustadorre

Post by dustadorre »

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe! Good job on the two-tone. It's very smooth and even.
dustadorre

Post by dustadorre »

KITT222 wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! Good job on the two-tone. It's very smooth and even.
Thanks! I found that the key is prep work and getting 50% overlap with each pass as well as taking the tape off while the dip is still wet. It took 4 coats which was roughly 2 full cans.

I can't wait to post more here. Everyone seems to be very supportive of one another!

-Dustadorre
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Very unique and you'll never lose it at the Mall!
Don't forget to do the plastic Pontiac insignia on the hatch and the rear valance cut-out.
And welcome to the group! :D
dustadorre

Post by dustadorre »

Chiadog wrote:Very unique and you'll never lose it at the Mall!
Don't forget to do the plastic Pontiac insignia on the hatch and the rear valance cut-out.
And welcome to the group! :D
I forgot to mention I blacked out the emblems on the hatch as well as the driver side door. Thank you for the welcome!
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Welcome, and nice work! Plasti-dip is a blast
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Glad to hear you rescued that poor neglected and abused Vibe and have been hard at work getting it back in tip-top shape! I'm digging the two-tone PlastiDip paintjob ;)! I look forward to seeing more updates and progress from you.

BTW, yes, everyone here is very friendly and supportive of each other. There really isn't any drama around here which is great :cool:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
dustadorre

Post by dustadorre »

Hello all. I was looking at my hubcaps and they were scuffed and scratched pretty bad so I decided (as a temporary fix) to sand and "dip" them.

What I would like to end up doing is keep the steelies and get a center cap after sanding and painting the steel and getting new tires.

For the tires I was thinking of going up on the side wall by one size. So, instead of the 55 I would go 205/60R/16.

Has anyone else done this? I am attempting to get a somewhat smoother ride...

Thanks for the feedback and warm welcomes!