MBZ's 2003 'Envy' Vibe

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
mbz321

MBZ's 2003 'Envy' Vibe

Post by mbz321 »

My original thread I started: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=41281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Figured I'd move it over here as I make some improvements to my new car.

First real "mod": Adding AUX jack to factory radio. I used the "iSimple Tranzit" kit, which works as a wired-in FM modulator. I like the look of the factory radio and I didn't want to change it out, but still wanted to stream music from my phone.
Took me a while to do (hooked it up to the wrong wires at first..whoops), but now it works great! Added the AUX and power switch to the dash, although you can put them pretty much anywhere as the wires are very long. (It also comes with a wired-in USB plug to charge your phone, but I decided to leave that out).

Next: Added these stick on wind/rain deflectors...were very cheap on eBay and installed in minutes with very strong 3M Tape.

Next to come: black out logos, add newer Vibe badge to rear (possibly pulling off side emblems), shining up the gray plastic, etc.
Last edited by mbz321 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vibenvy

Re: MBZ's 2003 'Envy' Vibe

Post by vibenvy »

I'm envious of your Vibe :mrgreen:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Great job on the aux plug! First mod like that I've seen come out so clean. :)
Image  Image
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Rayven01 wrote:Great job on the aux plug! First mod like that I've seen come out so clean. :)

The on-off switch is slightly off (eg. the hole is a hair bigger than it should have been)...but all I was using to make the hole was an undersized drill bit. Would have liked it better if I could have put it in the center console area somehow, but that would have required a lot of work..But thanks!
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Nice work! I might have to look into this is iSimple Tranzit kit
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Doug14 wrote:Nice work! I might have to look into this is iSimple Tranzit kit
Amazon has it pretty inexpensively http://www.amazon.com/iSimple-IS32-Univ ... roduct_top.
Note that you will also need to order the GM/Delco antenna adapters along with it. http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-Mda-Kb-Mi ... _acr_txt_2
Also note to check the wires carefully...the black (ground) and red (power) wires that come from the iSimple do NOT match up with the black and red wires on the radio harness (those colors go to the Vibe's speakers)...check for a wiring diagram for the Vibe/Delco radio to match the wires properly.
Nj2ga2013

Post by Nj2ga2013 »

where did u get it from
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Nj2ga2013 wrote:where did u get it from
Amazon... use the links above
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

More 'touch up' work:

Shined up the plastic all the way around using this kit from Amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005C4 ... UTF8&psc=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(It is supposed to last up to 12 months..unlike other stuff that seems to wash off. It's been about a week and is still looking good)

Blacked out the logos all the way around using Plasti-Dip. Wasn't as easy as the YouTube videos made it seem, and it isn't 100% perfect (it's easy to peel off more than you wanted to peel). I did not remove anything before 'dipping'..that probably would have made it easier. (Overspray on the car comes off instantly with Goo Gone or Bug & Tar remover).

I also removed the plastic over the radio screen as it was all scratched up for some reason and made it impossible to see in sunlight. Doesn't seem to be really necessary, but may cut a replacement from an old plastic container.
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Alright..thanks to Kincaid for donating me his newer "Vibe" badges..I removed the old style wording from the back, Plasti-dipped the new ones, and put them in place. Looks much better! (Still unsure what to do with the side emblems).

canadave

Post by canadave »

Looks very nice, good job :) Quick question for the naive and uninitiated such as myself...how did you remove the existing lettering, and how'd you apply the new lettering?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

canadave wrote:Looks very nice, good job :) Quick question for the naive and uninitiated such as myself...how did you remove the existing lettering, and how'd you apply the new lettering?
I have seen recommendations of people using dental floss to sort of "saw off" the badges. Didn't work for me, the floss simply broke..I just used a gentle pry tool to pry the letters off, then used Goo-Gone to take off any remaining adhesive that was on the car. You can still see a very, very faint outline of where the old lettering used to be (can't tell by my crappy cell phone camera), but it isn't real noticeable and will probably fade with time.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

mbz321 wrote:
canadave wrote:Looks very nice, good job :) Quick question for the naive and uninitiated such as myself...how did you remove the existing lettering, and how'd you apply the new lettering?
I have seen recommendations of people using dental floss to sort of "saw off" the badges. Didn't work for me, the floss simply broke..I just used a gentle pry tool to pry the letters off, then used Goo-Gone to take off any remaining adhesive that was on the car. You can still see a very, very faint outline of where the old lettering used to be (can't tell by my crappy cell phone camera), but it isn't real noticeable and will probably fade with time.
Fishing line is much more durable and therefore works much better ;).

To re-apply badges, just get some good double sided tape (i.e. 3M Super Strong Moulding Tape @ Walmart in the automotive section for ~$5.00) and cut it to fit the backside of the badges (it doesn't need to match exactly, there just needs to be enough to hold the badge in place), than re-apply the badge wherever you'd like ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Just the Vibe chillin on Ocracoke Island, NC

Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Hey neat I didn't know yours was Envy! Maybe my favorite early Vibe color. I like the blacked out badging.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
mbz321

Post by mbz321 »

Finally had time for the next 'simple' mod...adding a turn-off switch for the DRL/Auto headlights. Simple enough following these directions:
http://www.electrolund.com/2005/02/matrix-drl-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The space is extremely tight...although a 'smaller' person like myself didn't have too much trouble.

I used this basic Scion rocker switch available here, which fits PERFECTLY. I didn't really want one with an LED, but if you do, you will need another wire for ground. (Since I didn't, I just used the two wires from an old extension cord I had lying around)
http://www.oznium.com/gsw-45" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Note they also sell this through ebay but the price is slightly more!)

455SD

Post by 455SD »

Car is looking very good! Gotta love Envys ;)
EnvyGreen03