MaSlade - 2010 Vibe

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
MaSlade

MaSlade - 2010 Vibe

Post by MaSlade »

Major Update: The Finale

Hey everyone.

Just wanted to update you with some bittersweet news. A week ago, I traded in the 53,000 mile Vibe for a 2014 VW Jetta GLI with 12,000 miles. The deal they gave me was just too good to ignore. I've gained +7mpg, +56hp(+102hp with tune), and of course, another loan :) However, I'm happy that someone else will be able to enjoy it.

2014 VW GLI

See ya around!

Hey there GenVibe community!

The name's Slade and I have owned my Vibe since March 2013. Many upgrades/mods have been done to my Vibe these past couple of months, and I'm definitely having a lot of fun with it!!

The day I took her home:

After all of the modifications I have done:

*Update: 12/29/2013*

What the Vibe looks like as of today:

Last edited by MaSlade on Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 9 times in total.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: MaSlade - 2010 Vibe

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

I'm absolutely in LOVE with the yellow fogs

I bet that looks GORGEOUS comin down the road.

Antenna is cool too, think I may jump on one of those soon too.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:I'm absolutely in LOVE with the yellow fogs

I bet that looks GORGEOUS comin down the road.

Antenna is cool too, think I may jump on one of those soon too.
Always been a huge fan of yellow fogs, and the yellow light really helps light up the road when it's nasty out. I went to visual garage.com for the shark fin. It definitely beats the stubby antenna and I even get better reception!
DVibe

Post by DVibe »

Very nice vibe, very tasteful 8-)
Roll with soul.
DVibe's Garage
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

DVibe wrote:Very nice vibe, very tasteful 8-)
Thanks man :) yours is looking good too!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to see you started a Garage thread Slade! I had no idea that your Vibe was lowered and that you had the TRD front strut brace! It's nice to see the strut brace installed against a silver 2.4L engine bay as I am planning on replacing the OEM front strut brace on my GT with the TRD one. Do you have any plans to get the TRD rear sway bar as well? Keep up the good work with your Vibe and I definitely look forward to seeing more updates from you ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote:Glad to see you started a Garage thread Slade! I had no idea that your Vibe was lowered and that you had the TRD front strut brace! It's nice to see the strut brace installed against a silver 2.4L engine bay as I am planning on replacing the OEM front strut brace on my GT with the TRD one. Do you have any plans to get the TRD rear sway bar as well? Keep up the good work with your Vibe and I definitely look forward to seeing more updates from you ;)!
Thank you very much! I was thinking of you when I was writing it up :lol:

I had no idea I was going to install them to be honest with you 8-) I already had the parts hanging around my garage, and I kind of just started working on it the other day. I'm VERY impressed with how well things went!! The drop wasn't as low as I thought it was going to be, but the spring/strut bar upgrade makes it drive like a totally different car! I would have gone with the Eibach lowering springs for a 2" drop all around, but I figured TRD was tuned for the chassis and I didn't want to blow the stock shocks/struts. Proud to say it was my first suspension install that turned out to be successful. I definitely feel like the Vibe is leaning into turns now instead of feeling like it's about to flip over like before :D

The strut brace is a nice addition, the only thing I don't like about it is that the TRD emblem gets covered up by the windshield cowl. Aw well :(

Now how could I go full TRD suspension without the rear sway bar? :lol: It's on my to-do list; without question. ;)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear the rear sway bar is on your to-do list as well! Unfortunately because the 2009-2010 Vibe GT has IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), the only TRD suspension part I can use is the front strut brace :(. As I said though, seeing it installed on your Vibe definitely convinced me to go ahead and get one for mine! The goofy looking OEM front strut brace has always bothered me and the red of the TRD one will add a little more color to the mostly black engine bay.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote:Glad to hear the rear sway bar is on your to-do list as well! Unfortunately because the 2009-2010 Vibe GT has IRS (Independent Rear Suspension), the only TRD suspension part I can use is the front strut brace :(. As I said though, seeing it installed on your Vibe definitely convinced me to go ahead and get one for mine! The goofy looking OEM front strut brace has always bothered me and the red of the TRD one will add a little more color to the mostly black engine bay.
Glad to help you with your decision! The strut brace will hover about 1/8" until you completely tighten it, so don't worry about it. That, and the washers that came with my strut brace were far too small for the suspension bolts. Just had to get washers that would fit the bolt and everything worked out.

Congrats on the upgrade! :]
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Just ordered my TRD front strut brace :D! Now the hard part of waiting for it to arrive :|...
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote:Just ordered my TRD front strut brace :D! Now the hard part of waiting for it to arrive :|...
Waiting is definitely the worst part :lol: Can't wait to see it!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:Waiting is definitely the worst part :lol: Can't wait to see it!
I think I am going to "steal" another mod idea of yours too :twisted:! I am thinking about ordering one of those "2.4L 2AZ-FE" badges from eBay, but I am going to put mine in a different location which you will just have to wait and see when it's installed ;)!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

LED DRL Strip/Turning Signal installed May 13, 2013:

Day:

Night:

A Psycho Martyr

Hey, how do the TRD's ride?
I've seen reviews saying they're kinda stiff.
I mean I know all lowering springs compromise ride comfort,
but I see many reviews online saying the Tein S-Techs tend to be soft (occasionally bottoming out)
and the TRD's tend to be more stiff with less of a drop.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

A Psycho Martyr wrote:Hey, how do the TRD's ride?
I've seen reviews saying they're kinda stiff.
I mean I know all lowering springs compromise ride comfort,
but I see many reviews online saying the Tein S-Techs tend to be soft (occasionally bottoming out)
and the TRD's tend to be more stiff with less of a drop.
They definitely ride better than the stock springs. Not AS stiff but I actually feel like I'm leaning into turns instead of feeling like I'm about to roll over. If you can afford a good pair of aftermarket shocks/struts that can handle a drop of 2"+, then The Tiens are definitely the better choice as far as drop and performance, but I went with TRD because they're optimized for the stock shocks. Yeah, the drop isn't significant but you can tell the difference. If I didn't have a child in the backseat, then I wouldn't have to worry about ride comfort :P

Since you have a first gen, you shouldn't have a problem researching the best setup for you. It was a safe call with the TRD setup since I figured I would spend $400 up front instead of $1000+ in blown shocks and damaged chassis.

Plus they're painted red like the front strut brace and rear sway bar 8-)
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

*Update 5-16-2013*

Caved in and bought the Typhoon K&N intake for my birthday 8-) . I'm guessing they consider it a Cold Air Intake because of the extra plastic piping that runs from the bottom right of the filter shield. The pipe probably catches the air at the lower grille/kidney grilles and gets sucked in next to the radiator.

I like it so far :) It's definitely louder than the factory airbox when you go above 4000 RPMs, and it does feel more responsive. I may have to invest in an aFe dry filter because of my oiling paranoia.

A Psycho Martyr

looks great man.

Tell me,
how difficult is it to stay off the pedal now that you can hear the intake? :lol:
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Shoot. You got me :lol:

Man, I can't keep my foot off the pedal! Wondering if I'm going to get better gas mileage or if it's going to be worse because of my "spirited" driving ;)

Just ordered a GT spoiler with some BDay money
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Wow, I don't come on here for a few days and you have all these new mods done! As I said in your thread in the Exterior Forum, the new lights look great ;)! Glad to see you got yourself the K&N CAI as well :twisted:! You're exactly right about why K&N considers it a cold air intake as opposed to a short ram. As far as filters go, we have had AEM Brute Force Dryflow air filters (#21-203BF) on both our Vibes since the intakes were initially installed and I couldn't be happier with them. No need for oiling and IMO the grey color of the filter looks better than the reddish/orangeish color of the K&N filter. You can find one on eBay for under $50.00, than turn around and sell the K&N filter to make your money back (this is what I did) ;). I look forward to seeing the GT spoiler installed on your Vibe and hopefully this weekend I will have time to install my TRD front strut brace and I will have some pictures of my own to post :cool:!

Oh, and yes, your gas mileage may go down after first installing the intake because you will enjoy the "new" sound of the engine so much, but I assure you once you get over the initial thrill, you should see a modest gain in MPGs. We've seen a consistant 1-2 MPG increase with ours.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

I've had a few days off ;)

I may have to go the AEM route, so thank you for giving me the reference number :) I'll just add the K&N filter to my stash (I have multiple from previous air intake installations) so I can use em for later experiments! I'm completely stoked for the GT spoiler to arrive, but I can't wait :cry:

What to do next...
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

*Update 5-17-13*

Painted the engine cover and it kind of reminds me of the Gundam models I put together when I was a kid :lol:

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:I've had a few days off ;)

I may have to go the AEM route, so thank you for giving me the reference number :) I'll just add the K&N filter to my stash (I have multiple from previous air intake installations) so I can use em for later experiments! I'm completely stoked for the GT spoiler to arrive, but I can't wait :cry:

What to do next...
You're very welcome for the AEM info ;)! I have a stash too, only mine consists of stock Vibe parts that have been replaced with aftermarket ones :P.

FYI I am uploading new pictures to my Garage right now as I type this :D...

BTW... engine cover looks good ;)!
A Psycho Martyr

Engine cover came out great! :o

Nice to see ppl taking their time with projects like this.

Rushing it only compromises the final result.

Paint and masking all came out great
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

*Update 6-1-2013*

My GT spoiler came in :D The spoiler was easy to swap out and it was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be! It frightened me at the beginning because I didn't think it was going to fit, but it lines up/bolts on exactly like the stock spoiler. It was held on by five 10mm nuts and pops off of trim clips after that. What I discovered was in order to access the spoiler nuts, I only had to remove the trim piece that fits over the third brake light, as well as the left and right pieces attached to it. The large trim piece that fits over the rear windshield wiper motor does not need to be removed.

Also, HUGE thanks to the people at GrafxWerks. I told them about my vinyl mishap/fail and they sent me another set for free! They are the best at helping out their customers.

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:*Update 6-1-2013*

My GT spoiler came in :D The spoiler was easy to swap out and it was a lot bigger than I thought it was going to be! It frightened me at the beginning because I didn't think it was going to fit, but it lines up/bolts on exactly like the stock spoiler. It was held on by five 10mm nuts and pops off of trim clips after that. What I discovered was in order to access the spoiler nuts, I only had to remove the trim piece that fits over the third brake light, as well as the left and right pieces attached to it. The large trim piece that fits over the rear windshield wiper motor does not need to be removed.

Also, HUGE thanks to the people at GrafxWerks. I told them about my vinyl mishap/fail and they sent me another set for free! They are the best at helping out their customers.

The spoiler looks great! I always think the Bases and AWDs look so weird with the tiny little OEM spoiler. I guess I am just so used to seeing the "big ole" GT spoiler all the time :P.

I tried removing my spoiler once to see if I could tighten it up a bit more (it seems loose) and I couldn't get it off for the life of me. I removed the 10mm bolts you mentioned, but it was like it was stuck to the hatch or something. I didn't want to break it so I didn't force it. Maybe I'll have to give it another shot since you mentioned some trim clips. I'm sure those are what was holding it on. Once you removed the bolts, did you just pull on it to remove it from the clips? Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated as I would like to re-visit this and see if I could stabilize the spoiler a little more.

Yes... Ryan at Grafx Werks is awesome :cool:!

So... what's the next mod gonna be :D!?!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

The spoiler feels loose for me as well, but I think it's because of how far it sticks out. There are two trim clips on the left and two on the right, but I wouldn't use my hands to force it out. I would get a plastic wedge to pry it off because I think pulling it off by hand would definitely break it.

Thanks~!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Okay, thanks for the info. I'll give it another try one of these days.
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

No problem!

Always nice to catch up with my GT counter-part :)

My air filter came in as well and I could tell it was going to suit me just fine. Fit perfectly and no problems yet!

As for the next mod... they tend to come in spontaneous spurts. We shall see. 8-)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:No problem!

Always nice to catch up with my GT counter-part :)

My air filter came in as well and I could tell it was going to suit me just fine. Fit perfectly and no problems yet!

As for the next mod... they tend to come in spontaneous spurts. We shall see. 8-)
LOL :lol:! Too bad you're too far south to make it to the meet in Pontiac in a couple weeks :(. It'd be awesome to get some shots of our Vibes together!

Yeah, you will be very happy with the air filter. No worrying about possibly over-oiling it and it's really easy to clean too. I tap mine on the ground a couple times, than go over it with the shop vac. It doesn't really seem to even get too dirty, except for the occasional small bugs getting caught in it :|.

I definitely look forward to seeing what mod/s you come up with next :cool:!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Looks real good on your base Vibe 8-) Did the spoiler come Pre-painted? I believe you can order them either way (primed or already painted). Make sure the spoiler is snug because some of us with the GT spoiler have had minor "rattles" from the loose/sloppy fit and it drives you nuts after awhile. Keep up the good work ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote: LOL :lol:! Too bad you're too far south to make it to the meet in Pontiac in a couple weeks :(. It'd be awesome to get some shots of our Vibes together!

Yeah, you will be very happy with the air filter. No worrying about possibly over-oiling it and it's really easy to clean too. I tap mine on the ground a couple times, than go over it with the shop vac. It doesn't really seem to even get too dirty, except for the occasional small bugs getting caught in it :|.

I definitely look forward to seeing what mod/s you come up with next :cool:!
It would have been nice to be a part of the meet :) Every time I pass by another Vibe down here, I always wonder if they're a part of the forum or not. It's slightly irritating :lol: I wanna give some Vibe love!

As for the air filter, I have a pre-filter on top of the filter similar to this but red:

http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/lar ... r_wrap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't need to worry about water/bugs/dirt/etc. getting into contact with the actual filter, so it's a nice extra layer of protection. I'm researching heavily into the hood damper mod, just need to find the right struts... WHAT DO I DO NEXT D:
tpollauf wrote:Looks real good on your base Vibe 8-) Did the spoiler come Pre-painted? I believe you can order them either way (primed or already painted). Make sure the spoiler is snug because some of us with the GT spoiler have had minor "rattles" from the loose/sloppy fit and it drives you nuts after awhile. Keep up the good work ;)
Thanks Tim ;) The spoiler was already painted because of the GM part code I looked up. Just matched up the code with my color which saved me a few steps. I tried to get it as tight as possible, but it still wobbles a tad, but it's definitely weatherproofed/snug as possible. My rear finally has some "flair" :D
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

MaSlade wrote:It would have been nice to be a part of the meet :) Every time I pass by another Vibe down here, I always wonder if they're a part of the forum or not. It's slightly irritating :lol: I wanna give some Vibe love!

As for the air filter, I have a pre-filter on top of the filter similar to this but red:

http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/lar ... r_wrap.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't need to worry about water/bugs/dirt/etc. getting into contact with the actual filter, so it's a nice extra layer of protection. I'm researching heavily into the hood damper mod, just need to find the right struts... WHAT DO I DO NEXT D:
Yeah, I feel the same way about seeing other Vibes. Fortunately for me, I experience Vibe love everyday when I go out to my garage :D!

I actually have one of those filter wraps too (mine's black), but I ended up removing it because I thought it looked kind of goofy :|. Definitely a good way to keep that filter clean though ;)!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Got a chance to install my rear-sway bar and it's safe to say that I've finally completed my TRD suspension upgrade. MAN, what a difference after installing the rear-sway bar! The TRD bar is a little lighter, but it's sturdier than stock. After installation (took about 15-20 minutes), I took the Vibe out for a test drive and corners are a lot tighter/neater. The Vibe doesn't roll as much and the back feels stiffer than stock.

P.S. Just for reference, TRD springs, front strut, and rear-sway bar for the 2010 Matrix definitely fit the 2009-2010 models.

Of course, I always take my pictures at night :lol:
Last edited by MaSlade on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Your Vibe is looking really nice! Great Job - your info on the TRD lowering springs is what I've been looking for - I have a base 2.4 as well with the front TRD brace & rear sway bar & have been toying with the idea of those springs - I'm looking for better handling without much sacrifice on ride quality or being too low (thats what my other car is for) - how is the overall ride quality for daily driving with the springs? Also, are those yellow fog lamp assemblies a direct fit for mounting or did you have to mod them? I have 3000K yellow HID's but I'm liking that look - Thanx & Keep up the good work!
Infinity-x

Post by Infinity-x »

Looks good! Do you have a direct link to the spoiler that is already painted? I have the same color as you and would like to look into doing this modification as well. Thanks in advance!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

XRVibe10 wrote:Your Vibe is looking really nice! Great Job - your info on the TRD lowering springs is what I've been looking for - I have a base 2.4 as well with the front TRD brace & rear sway bar & have been toying with the idea of those springs - I'm looking for better handling without much sacrifice on ride quality or being too low (thats what my other car is for) - how is the overall ride quality for daily driving with the springs? Also, are those yellow fog lamp assemblies a direct fit for mounting or did you have to mod them? I have 3000K yellow HID's but I'm liking that look - Thanx & Keep up the good work!
Thanks! I was wary about dropping too low because of the terrible roads around my city :( Plus having a smooth ride was ideal because of the baby in the back. The TRD lowering springs WILL drop your Vibe ≥1", so ride quality won't be sacrificed PLUS they aren't enough of a drop to destroy the stock shocks. The springs are built differently than stock, so maneuvering feels a bit more nimble and daily driving is always excellent. I figure since it's made to enhance (and not destroy) a 2010 Matrix, it will do the same with it's sibling :D

Because I didn't have fog lights installed before installing my fogs, I just had to drill out holes to mount the lamp. The fogs I ordered lined up perfectly, so if you have fog lights already installed, I believe they would be a direct bolt-on. I just did a search for "yellow 2008 camry fog lights" and went for the less-pricey set. It comes with the Camry fascia, but you can toss or recycle them. If I remember correctly, I got them from here: http://www.racinglab.com/oem-fl-kit-070 ... ellow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Infinity-x wrote:Looks good! Do you have a direct link to the spoiler that is already painted? I have the same color as you and would like to look into doing this modification as well. Thanks in advance!
Thanks man. For a reference, I bookmarked this page: http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/oem/2009-po ... 10058.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since you have the same color as my Vibe, the part number is: 19171939. Really, all I did was google search the part number, but gmpartsdirect.com will probably net you the best price under $200. Good luck!
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Great to hear from you again Slade! I was just wondering the other day where you had been since I hadn't seen you post in a while.

I hate to admit this, but sometimes I wish I had a 2009-2010 Base, so I could install and enjoy the TRD lowering springs and rear anti-sway bar :|.
XRVibe10

Post by XRVibe10 »

Thanx again for the info :lol: - I see you plasti-dipped your manifold heat shield, how is that holding up? I tired to find info about heat tolerance but didn't really find anything - I assume that stuff must be pretty good (I used high heat caliper paint on my shield)
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

vibenvy wrote:Great to hear from you again Slade! I was just wondering the other day where you had been since I hadn't seen you post in a while.

I hate to admit this, but sometimes I wish I had a 2009-2010 Base, so I could install and enjoy the TRD lowering springs and rear anti-sway bar :|.
Finally had the chance to turn the wrench last weekend! Been so busy I haven't even washed it for a month now :(

I always wish I had the GT (or at least an AWD version) because of the horrible roads down here lol. I'm always hitting bumps and the transfer is annoying! But every once in a while I'll hit the freeway and I'll be blessed with a smooth ride for 15-30 mins. It is nice having a TRD suspension though ;] Might help with maintaining the value too! :P
XRVibe10 wrote:Thanx again for the info :lol: - I see you plasti-dipped your manifold heat shield, how is that holding up? I tired to find info about heat tolerance but didn't really find anything - I assume that stuff must be pretty good (I used high heat caliper paint on my shield)
No worries! The Dip on the heat shield is still holding up well. I've heard of people dipping their exhaust tips and not having a problem with heat. My wheels have met their match after driving through some dirt roads, though. Might have to go with a wilder color next time around :lol: We'll see what happens
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

Update 12/21/2013

It's been a while since I've posted. I'm still alive, just busy-livin'.

I was able to score some WeatherTECH mats along with a rear Vibe cargo mat for 80 bucks! Best money I ever spent! Even more so with all the sand here in Florida. So much easier to clean up.

Finally got the chance to get a vacation from everything and got some nice country shots of the Vibe; figured you guys would appreciate these more than anyone else I know, so thank you for that! :lol:

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Lookin' good as always Slade :cool:!

I wasn't thinking at the time and now it's too late :(, but you should have been nominated for Vibe of the Year!
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

No worries! There is always next year :)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Agree with Carrie. Looking REAL good ;) Too bad the LED strips you got awhile back were NOT weather proof. If they were cheap enough, get another set and weatherproof them yourself then you'll be all set. Also I wish we only had to deal with sand :( Up here in the Midwest winter, it is the evil SALT that is much worse than sand :x Keep up the good work!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

*Update 1/17/14*

After thinking about it for a long time, I finally went ahead and did it.

I installed projectors into an aftermarket set of headlights and finished it all after work yesterday! Aligning them were a *****, though. I almost cried after the 3rd hour :cry: . BUT, the good news is that it's over!

The kit I installed: Morimoto mini h1 projectors, 4300k xb35 h1 bulbs, mini graphite shrouds, OEM Denso ballasts. Ran me ~$400 + 6 hours of slow and steady work.

Before:

After:

Install Pictures:

kaflex

Post by kaflex »

wow, they look good.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MaSlade

Post by MaSlade »

kaflex wrote:wow, they look good.
Thank you :) It was worth the temporary pain and suffering :lol:
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

The look great! However, may I suggest some chrome bulbs for your signals so you can get rid of the orange in your housing? It would look better. Or maybe some LED switchback ones.
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Jealous!
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Looks great Slade! Did you black out all the chrome and silver in the headlight housings?

I agree with Nick. I highly recommend Stealth Auto for chrome amber bulbs. A little pricey, but they are well worth it and come with a lifetime warranty.