Dave's 03 Vibe AWD

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
th3fr4nchi5e

Dave's 03 Vibe AWD

Post by th3fr4nchi5e »

Hey guys,
Haven't posted anything in awhile since not much interesting has happened with the Vibe over the winter. Been driving it about 30 miles/day everyday for school and have had no problems whatsoever! I never got a chance to make a showroom thread but the Winter weather seems to be over with so I cleaned it up a bit for some pictures.

Took this one yesterday as a little joke with my neighbor and his buddies who all drive newer Duramax pickup trucks that they love showing how tough they are by parking on a hill or snowbank :D

So my dad does some work and maintenance at his shop on this VW Beetle for one of his customers. Its a beautifully cared for car with low mileage and they recently bought two brand new sets of rims and tires for their car, one for summer and one for winter. They didnt have any room for the stock rims and they looked a bit cruddy so they said my dad could just take them and do whatever with them. They collected dust for a bit until I realized they were the same bolt pattern as the Vibe! I originally was going to sand off all the junk and paint them because I thought it was corrosion but the last two days, after going over them 3-4 times with oven cleaner and some persistence, I got them looking pretty darn close to perfect. From 10 feet away, you wouldnt know that they've even been used before! I decided not to paint them after all! My dad restriped the side for me in red, silver and black since the black stripe I did was kind of lacking. He also had the idea to pinstripe red around the rim which I really ended up liking as well!
Heres some pics from today:

Im really happy with the way the car looks right now. The rims look good in person, I am just not in love with the tire size. They are 205/60R16's I believe, and the winter tires I had on the stock steel wheels were 215/60R16's and filled the wheelwells much better and without rubbing! Only a small complaint and after getting used to it, Im sure I wont even notice anymore! The car still has a few little dings in it but I now have the car and both summer and winter sets of rims and tires for a total of $500! And this wonderful machine has cost $0 in repairs. Its only cost standard maintenance that any car would get! I love this thing!

I might as well post some pics of my toy as well since some were interested. Its a '95 Supercharged Buick Riviera with 178k miles on the clock. My dad repainted the entire car a couple years ago with a black roof along with White lowers that are grey from the factory. The mods so far are a smaller (2.5") S/C pulley, 3.5" Fender-well intake, a 3" downpipe, Gutted Cat, 1.8:1 high ratio roller rocker arms from Yella Terra and a bunch of supporting mods. I have alot more planned this summer but am going to be working on tuning first but am just learning at the moment. Brakes and suspension will likely be next before any more go fast mods!

Both of these cars have been tremendous fun and are joys to drive! Two entirely different types of drivers but both have found they're way to some great fun driving! :)
03 Vibe AWD**127k miles**100% Stock Image
tpollauf

Re: Dave's 03 Vibe AWD

Post by tpollauf »

Looking good David ;) Now you just need some center caps to go with the rims. You are lucky to have a dad with shop capabilities 8-) This makes any/all repairs go so much smoother! My wife is from the Jamestown/Olean area and her bro lives in North Tonawanda so I know right where you're at. You can have your winter weather up there ... too much snow for me :lol: Keep up the good work :)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Good looking CARS! Welcome to Genvibe!

FYI: Check the rear diff seals! They are known for seeping and when all the fluid leaks out, it becomes a $$$$ repair. Replacing the seal should only be $200 with labor.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
DVibe

Post by DVibe »

Nice AWD Vibe! Best color too! I have always thought Rivieras looked pretty sweet...that black roof sets it off 8-) Welcome and nice rides!
Roll with soul.
DVibe's Garage
th3fr4nchi5e

Post by th3fr4nchi5e »

DVibe wrote:Nice AWD Vibe! Best color too! I have always thought Rivieras looked pretty sweet...that black roof sets it off 8-) Welcome and nice rides!
Thanks man! I do love white cars and a black (or black CF ;) ) roof really does it for me!
tpollauf wrote:Looking good David ;) Now you just need some center caps to go with the rims. You are lucky to have a dad with shop capabilities 8-) This makes any/all repairs go so much smoother! My wife is from the Jamestown/Olean area and her bro lives in North Tonawanda so I know right where you're at. You can have your winter weather up there ... too much snow for me :lol: Keep up the good work :)
Thank you! If my whole family didnt live here, I would have no problem heading out of the snowy, salty Buffalo area! haha
Salsa Guy wrote:Good looking CARS! Welcome to Genvibe!

FYI: Check the rear diff seals! They are known for seeping and when all the fluid leaks out, it becomes a $$$$ repair. Replacing the seal should only be $200 with labor.
Thanks for the tip! Ill be putting in new rear drums next weekend so Ill be sure to have a look while the cars on the lift!
th3fr4nchi5e

Post by th3fr4nchi5e »

I bought my Vibe about 2.5 years ago with 90k miles on the clock for $200. It then cost $300 for tires and $30 for a flywheel and it was back in action! Since then, it has only cost me regular maintenance (oil changes, front pads, rear drum pads, etc.) and some TLC. This past weekend, I finally got around to changing the front rotors, which were warped from when it sat before I picked it up. When I compressed the piston on the drivers side, I had some fluid seep out from around the piston. I had been losing about a pint of fluid every few weeks, but thought it was an ABS issue since it started once the cold weather came on. Picked up a reman OEM caliper and a quart of fluid from NAPA for $38 TOTAL. New caliper took no time at all to swap in and looks beautiful.

Pads and rotors back on, bleed brakes, done. $61 for pads and rotors + $38 for the caliper and fluid = $99 TOTAL.
< $100 on the first "major" repair investment on the car is such a nice feeling. I also spent a couple $$ on a new positive battery terminal about a week ago as well. Brakes feel so much better, no more pulsing pedal. This car has been a huge money saver and such a well engineered machine. The combination of GM and Toyota engineering is a fantastic one.

I think I will be buying another caliper on for the other side soon as well since they are such a bargain. Next though, will be seafoam and new plugs and wires. Truth be told, I was thinking about selling the Vibe in the spring and buying a pickup truck because I wanted something bigger and something with a standard trans. But honestly, I really like the Vibe and dont feel like I can buy something better for anywhere near what I could get for it. So its gonna hang around and my little sister says she wants it to be her first car so Ill probably hand it down to her in a couple years. Up to 115k miles and slowly making a comback. Love this vehicle!

Blueridge9

Post by Blueridge9 »

Those rims cleaned up well and I like the photo of your Vibe in front of the train cars. Sounds like you are making the most of your opportunities. :)
Blueridge9 2004 Base, 1.8L "The Vibe is a melding of muscular looks, ..utility & economy, sportiness & road-hugging tractability." -Road & Track Magazine Sept. 2008 Pictures: http://s278.photobucket.com/user/blueridge9/library/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;