Derf 2005 Moon and Tunes Deluxe

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Derf

Re: Derf 2005 Moon and Tunes Deluxe Exhaust Holes

Post by Derf »

Back to summer mode at 202360 miles. Only issue over the winter, started to notice buzzing from engine area. Figured would need to check the heat shields next time car was in the air. Sure enough the heat shield was loose, but not in the way I expected. Not loose tabs or loose mounts... instead Missing Bolts...
This shows two of the open holes left by the mounting bolt near the manifold and catalytic coupler
Vibe_heat_bolt2.jpg
Vibe_heat_bolt2.jpg (26.18 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Show missing bolt near head on the exhaust manifold.
Vibe_heat_bolt1.jpg
Vibe_heat_bolt1.jpg (18.57 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Their are four bolts that hold the exhaust shied to the exhaust manifold bottom. 3 of the 4 mounting bolts are missing. Does not appear the bolt heads rusted off, the entire bolts are gone, leaving open holes in the exhaust manifold. Tried to retap one of the holes for replacement bolt, to far gone. Would have to remove exhaust manifold to retap the other two holes, making replacement a better option.

For the short term, resorted to large hose clamp (102-152mm Stainless clamp worked fine) to secure the shield. Plugging open bolt holes with exhaust repair compound, used Permatex MTK-1 Item 80335 (used before on several other projects holds up well).
Vibe_heat_bolt3.jpg
Vibe_heat_bolt3.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 8119 times
Felt around the top heat shield, appears those bolts are still in place.
Not sure if you had enough bolts missing, enough exhaust gas could escape to create O2 sensing or other issues.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Derf

Re: Derf 2005 Moon and Tunes Deluxe Exhaust shield part 2

Post by Derf »

After making the repair noted above, started the car and more buzzing... Figuring I did not have something adjust correctly went back under the car... and found another heat shield was broken free :evil: . This one is the heat shield welded to the front of the first catalytic convertor. Two of the three welds were broken allowing to vibrate against the catalytic convertor and forward facing flange. Grabbed another hose clamp this time 76-127mm size (3-5 inch) and placed around the wider part of the heat shield above the welds. The tab on the hose clamp locked into the bent tab on the heat shield which made keeping the clamp in position really easy. Good thing I bought several sizes of hose clamps for the previous repair. Most farm supply stores will have stainless hose clamps up to 205mm 8 inch. So far two hose clamps under $2 each and a tube of exhaust fix compound $6, for a repair total of $10. Last car I had the Stainless clamps outlasted the heat shield and exhaust system.
Vibe_cat_heat2 - 1.jpg
Vibe_cat_heat2 - 1.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
Completed repair, shield and weld marks lined up fairly close, did not want to over tighten clamp.
Vibe_cat_heat1 - 1.jpg
Vibe_cat_heat1 - 1.jpg (24.9 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
Jbenrod

Re: Derf 2005 Moon and Tunes Deluxe

Post by Jbenrod »

Any guess on what happened to the bolts that are missing? Did they just somehow loosen up over the years and dropped out - or do you think there would be some other reason? I've never seen something like this to have happened before so I am a bit puzzled.

Thanks for posting so we can be alert to check this area.
2005 Base - 220k
Derf

Post by Derf »

I am completely puzzled by the missing manifold heat shield bolts. Only found one other post on the forum from 2012 mentioning similar issue on a 2004 base Vibe. Looking at the three bolt holes, appears the bolts spun out. There were no rub marks on the heat shield or rusted stubs left behind. The bolt holes were so rusted I was not able to re-thread, they must have been missing for a while. I do not know of any previous work on the vehicle were those bolts were removed, the most major repair documented, was timing chain replacement.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

Bolts backing out freaks me out... I have a 1981 Honda CB750 that I'm in the process of rebuilding the carbs on. The choke butterfly valves are held onto the shaft by 2 screws each. Factory installation has them flared after instalation to prevent backing out, but there;s no way I can do that. The forum suggested loctite and a prayer. It scares me half to death...

Back on track, keep posting! We all love it and you've been a huge wealth of knowledge!!!
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
Derf

Re: Derf 2005 Moon and Tunes Deluxe Gas Lift Struts

Post by Derf »

Another minor repair. Last fall noticed the rear lift gate struts were getting weak, 11 years old, normal wear item. Looking at various sources went with the following: Qty (2) StrongArm 4079 Rear Liftgate Hatch Tailgate Lift Supports Struts Shocks
Purchased off eBay, made in USA from US seller http://www.liftsupportdepot.com Perfect match, plenty of lift and smooth operation. Seller included helpful install tips and discount on future purchase. So far, so good. For a clean look the stickers easily peel off, can put on the back of your service manual for easy reference.
Vibe_lift_strut.jpg
Vibe_lift_strut.jpg (28.69 KiB) Viewed 8078 times
Looking at the old lift struts appears OEM had a left and right part number
Left 8025PB 0585N 68960-01010-A
Right 8028PN 0585N 68950-01030-A
Both made by Stabilus Lift-O-Mat
pakong

Post by pakong »

Derf, That is some war on rust! you've given me hope.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Back to winter mode 203,575 miles. Car needs a good detailing in the spring. Headlight housings are waxed but getting cloudy, will have to address in the spring.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Short winter mode, drove another "rust buggy" during the really nasty days. Put the summer tires back on 204,543 miles. Hard to believe only 1k miles over the winter. Checked the basics fluids, suspension, hoses; the Power Stop rotors are still amazing, just a little dusting of rust on the edges, otherwise still clean. My rims thank me every time for that upgrade, 8-) no discoloration or rust flake to deal with.
salinity

Post by salinity »

Derf wrote:I am completely puzzled by the missing manifold heat shield bolts. Only found one other post on the forum from 2012 mentioning similar issue on a 2004 base Vibe. Looking at the three bolt holes, appears the bolts spun out. There were no rub marks on the heat shield or rusted stubs left behind. The bolt holes were so rusted I was not able to re-thread, they must have been missing for a while. I do not know of any previous work on the vehicle were those bolts were removed, the most major repair documented, was timing chain replacement.
Wow - I just found this thread - and also found today when poking around my new-to-me 07 Base exactly what you found - I was also missing at least one bolt on that lower heat shield (looks like in the same place too). I have a bunch of service records from the PO and they were chasing a possible heat shield noise a few years back, but I can't imagine they would leave a bolt out when looking for that issue.

I'm going to try your hose clamp idea - they serve me well on my old (but still running) Cherokee's exhaust.
---
2007 Base
Derf

Post by Derf »

Late swap to Winter mode 207,660, past month was busy. Short on miles this summer, most significant gain came from trip to see the Eclipse. Checking around the car, all seems well, no leaks or surprises. I am starting to see a few specs of rust on the Power Stop rotors. Appears the rain and weather is slowly wearing down the protective coating.
Santa did bring the Vibe a gift, a bigger socket set to stow in the back.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Summer, where have you been? Still had snow just over 2 weeks ago. Switched back to summer mode at 208,565 miles. Short winter mode, drove a rust buggy for the winter. Glad I did Jan and Feb in my area was nasty, DOT beat 5 year average on salt, even though we had less snow.
While under the car noticed a few things
-Power Stop rotors are starting to show some surface rust in the veins
-No oil leaks, the tensioner o-ring fix from 2 years ago appears to be holding up
-Rear bumper is starting to rust from the inside. I painted what I could 2 years ago, hollow bumper tube collects road salt.
-Still on what I believe to be original suspension bushings and struts, all tight and plyable. The previous owner used it for about 85% highway super commuting, so wear may be less pronounced

Some annoyances
-Noticed more clear coat peeling and more stone chips on the hood.
-Missed wiping away some wax last year, started to create white chalk on some of the trim and rubber pieces
-Had two P0420 codes from O2/ Cat efficiency, I believe this was from short trips in the extreme cold were the aging cat simply did not reach peak temp. Think was also from some oil that snuk by before I replaced the PCV valve.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Overall a short summer with the Vibe. No big trips, almost all utility trips for this or that. I think the longest span with the back seats down to date, lots of projects completed this summer. Switched back to winter mode, snow tires on steel rims 210,844 miles. Rims seams are starting to show some rust (cheap paint). Item to address in the spring. Nothing noteworthy, which is a great thing. After switching to winter most this past weekend winter mix set in, Vibe looked like an icicle after first trip.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Wheel barrel full of rubber. Back to summer mode at 211,877 Upgraded shop over winter. Can now complete tire swap without jack stands. While on the lift noticed two rust spots. Will address once weather gets warmer. Vibe needs a good washing.
Vibe_rack.jpg
Vibe_rack.jpg (80.95 KiB) Viewed 4997 times
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Derf wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:46 pm Wheel barrel full of rubber. Back to summer mode at 211,877 Upgraded shop over winter. Can now complete tire swap without jack stands. While on the lift noticed two rust spots. Will address once weather gets warmer. Vibe needs a good washing.
Vibe_rack.jpg
Having a lift is great. The house i purchased has one in the garage. I've discovered friends and family I thought forgot about me! :lol:

Where's your rust at? I have a good chunk missing from the pinch weld starting near the passenger rear door, to about halfway up the passenger front door.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Derf

Post by Derf »

One is roughly the same spot, pinch weld underneath passenger doors. The other is the rear passenger door bottom, this was from a body shop that repaired the vehicle prior to my ownership. The weld is rusting, as most do, lack of galvanic protection and other impurities from welding process. If keeps raining, want to detail the car, and really clean the door gaps and transitional areas around the hatch. These seem to contain surprise rust spots due to salt and crud accumulation.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Derf wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 1:52 pm One is roughly the same spot, pinch weld underneath passenger doors. The other is the rear passenger door bottom, this was from a body shop that repaired the vehicle prior to my ownership. The weld is rusting, as most do, lack of galvanic protection and other impurities from welding process. If keeps raining, want to detail the car, and really clean the door gaps and transitional areas around the hatch. These seem to contain surprise rust spots due to salt and crud accumulation.
What are your plans to tackle that? I'm not sure I want to invest in having it repaired, given that the car has 280k miles on it and is really showing signs of her age. If I knew how to weld, I'd consider it myself.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe