Doug14's 2006 Vibe Base

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Doug14

Doug14's 2006 Vibe Base

Post by Doug14 »

My 2006 Vibe base MT, power windows, locks, cruise control, A/C ect. No sunroof, Basic 4 speaker stereo.

Mods:

-Cosmo SRI, with a heatshield/partial airbox with a cold air feed from behind the "faux grille" by the fog-light. Cut and meshed it for airflow.
-Progress rear sway bar.
-Energy Suspension polyurethane front sway bar bushings.
-Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings
-16" light alloy rims.
-Super Bright Leds in fogs, 3rd brake light, reverse, lisence plate and all interior lights.. Also have red LED footwell and accentlights throughout interior.
-Lamin-x on fogs, corner markers, reverse and tails (reflectors left un-tinted on tails).
-Plasti-dipped rear bumper valence, interior trim pieces and chrome grill trim.
-Grafxwerks overlays on all "pontiac" and "vibe" badges. "vibe" 3rd brake overlay, Colour match door locks, "vibe" logo on dash.
-Painted roof rails, calipers, drums muffler/heatshield and upper grill black, painted lower grills silver.Painted engine bay bits black and "salsa". Painted a lot of random stuff that i can't remember.
-Throttle body coolant bypass in summer.
-I have Tien H-tech springs and KYB GR2 struts that i am currently assembling for installation!

Spring 2014:

Winter 2013:

Spring 2013:

Spring 2013:

Wishlist/Dreams

-Black 17" rims
-Tint 35% all around.
-New headunit and speakers (nothing too fancy).
-C60 swap.
-Energy Suspension motor mounts.
-03/04 front end and headlights.
-GM front fascia extensions.
-Custom exhaust (don't want it too loud).
-DC headers.
-SUPERCHARGER....

Please post any suggestions or comments!
Last edited by Doug14 on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:57 am, edited 18 times in total.
ramenboy...

Re: My 2006 Vibe base!

Post by ramenboy... »

Wow. Cleeeean! Nice vibe and welcome to the site!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Your Vibe looks really good, especially the wheels. I'm not much into aftermarket wheels, but yours look good.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
areles

Post by areles »

Hi Doug14,

Welcome to Genvibe. Nice wheels! You'll be able to get a lot of help from the people on GV for any projects you have.

Areles (Ron)
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Just got new front rotors and ceramic pads, new rear drums and cables, NGK Laser Iridium Sparkplugs, and ordered some overlays from Grafxwerks.com!
Brandort3

Post by Brandort3 »

Love the Vibe! I highly recommend the K&N Typhoon. I just got my hooked up last Monday and it changes the whole feel of the car. (In a good way) It gives a throaty sound, almost like you would when you get a muffler tip. And it gives you roughly a 10-11 HP with more responsiveness. Best of luck to the new mods to come!
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

hello, i am new to this site as well, i also have a 2006 with the same color and also the same rims as you do Doug, I have done a few mods to mine, just thought it was funny to see your car same color and same rims as mine. I am also from canada being out on the easy coast in Nova Scotia,
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

07cdnvibe wrote:hello, i am new to this site as well, i also have a 2006 with the same color and also the same rims as you do Doug, I have done a few mods to mine, just thought it was funny to see your car same color and same rims as mine. I am also from canada being out on the easy coast in Nova Scotia,
That is too funny! Id love to see a picture of them together, if were ever near by!
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

i got your PM but i am so new here i cant reply to PM's they tell me, is there any other way that we can communicate, i have done some upgrades and mods, but dont have any pictures as of yet. I will try to get some this weekend and post them here.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Pic of my rear drums painted black.
drums.jpg
drums.jpg (18.31 KiB) Viewed 19141 times
Last edited by Doug14 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Over the past few weeks I've put on overlays from Grafxwerks.com, all "vibe" and arrowheads, including steering wheel, changed "PONTIAC" inlay to reflective black. Painted lower grills to have a polished metal look to them, installed new headlight and foglight bulbs, and got my windshield replaced!
overlays1.jpg
overlays1.jpg (17.52 KiB) Viewed 19059 times
Last edited by Doug14 on Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

nice color and wheel combo! :)
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Poor quality pic of my vibe a few weekends ago at my girlfriend's mom's house.

Red LED foot well lighting

LED fog lights,Sylvania ZxE headlights

LED reverse lights, also replaced dome and map lights as well as license plate lights with LEDs.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Doug14 wrote: Wishlist
K&N Typhoon SRI.
Adding to your wishlist for you for some inexpensive mods to compliment the K&N SRI (I have 1 of these also) making it much more fun to drive (when you want to find the floor with your right foot ;) ) and increase your mpg's (if you don't drive it like you stole it):
Helix throttle body spacer (you will need to cut down the TB side of the SRI to allow for the 1" spacer):
http://www.taylorvertex.com/Products/in ... PowerTower
Bore out your throttle body by maxbore.com:
http://www.maxbore.com/
Might want to research replacing your intake manifold gasket while you have everything torn apart (not sure if the '06 has the upgraded IM gasket or not).

Big ticket item = more fun to drive: replace your 5 speed with a 6 speed (it's only a matter of time before your carrier bearing goes bad - known issue) and put an aftermarket clutch in it while you are at it. The gears are closer together which will make it feel like the car is faster as well.

Nice looking Viberator! I have a '03 Base like the one in my avatar. Wish I had more of a solid color (love the Salsa color) and the painted plastics like yours.
2003 base model
dak6351

Post by dak6351 »

I'm new here too so welcome to GV, and that is a pretty sweet ride!
if a wing makes your car fast then with me having 2 I go twice as fast!! I substitute your reality with my logic.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Thanks, though i'm jealous of your ride haha I LONG FOR LIFT!
cmpltvertigo

Post by cmpltvertigo »

Good looking Vibe, thanks for sharing.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Picture of one of my cats Vibin' it
dak6351

Post by dak6351 »

Neighborhood cats like to sit on mine too but not much longer after they see me coming! LOL I need to get mine in the garage.
if a wing makes your car fast then with me having 2 I go twice as fast!! I substitute your reality with my logic.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

mntn-biker wrote: Bore out your throttle body by maxbore.com:
http://www.maxbore.com/
Might want to research replacing your intake manifold gasket while you have everything torn apart (not sure if the '06 has the upgraded IM gasket or not).

Big ticket item = more fun to drive: replace your 5 speed with a 6 speed (it's only a matter of time before your carrier bearing goes bad - known issue) and put an aftermarket clutch in it while you are at it. The gears are closer together which will make it feel like the car is faster as well.

Nice looking Viberator! I have a '03 Base like the one in my avatar. Wish I had more of a solid color (love the Salsa color) and the painted plastics like yours.
Well the K&N wont fit my vibe without some modification since its an 06 so i will probably go a different route on that one, probably won't do throttle body spacer, I'm skeptical about those, I would love to bore out my throttle body but as my car is a daily driver I would have to get my hands on a second one. Clutch is in good shape still, but when it goes I do plan to get a nice aftermarket setup. Transmission I'll keep till it gives me problems but have looked into the 6 speed swap. I basically just want a 2zz instead lol. As for the colour, I am more of a fan of the mono-tone than two-tone paint schemes. I do, however, prefer the front bumper and grill of the 03-05 vibes.
dak6351 wrote:Neighborhood cats like to sit on mine too but not much longer after they see me coming! LOL I need to get mine in the garage.
lol I dont think i'd mind the cats as much as a bunch of birds leaving terds all over my car lol
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

Doug14 wrote:Image
Picture of one of my cats Vibin' it
str8 ^ vibe'n. lol. haha. that's my quote for my car. hahaha. nice vibe man!
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Mariachi wrote:str8 ^ vibe'n. lol. haha. that's my quote for my car. hahaha. nice vibe man!
haha Vibe'n! thats the spelling I was looking for! lol thankyou
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

hey Doug here is my car all cleaned up and ready for summer cruising, still find it funny how we got same color cars with same rims Image
LeaveMyHatOn

Post by LeaveMyHatOn »

Nice Vibe!
How did you get those LED fog lights? I've been looking for something brighter.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

07cdnvibe wrote:hey Doug here is my car all cleaned up and ready for summer cruising, still find it funny how we got same color cars with same rims
Lookin good! :D Its awesome that they're the same, I just wished we lived closer so we could get some pics of them together!
LeaveMyHatOn wrote:Nice Vibe!
How did you get those LED fog lights? I've been looking for something brighter.
Thanks! I got all of my direct replacement LED bulbs from Super Bright LEDs.
Here's a link to the particular fogs I bought -> http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo ... 1277/2952/
Great site and company, I've ordered from them a few times.
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

yes it would be cool to get them side by side for a pic, are those driving lights brighter than the stock one?
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

They appear much brighter, especially during the day, but they don't put out much usable light at night but, I like the look of them. I found the stock bulbs not all that bright in this housing anyways.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Really liking the look of that roof rack in black. I may have to do this for one of my next mods... Nice Vibe!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Really liking the look of that roof rack in black. I may have to do this for one of my next mods... Nice Vibe!
Thanks! Yeah painting them black is probably one of my favourite things I've done so far
Doug14

Re: Doug14's 2006 Vibe Base

Post by Doug14 »

Alrighty, I tinted fogs, reverse and tails(turnsignals excluded because I ran out) with Lamin-x.

Without flash:

With flash:

Tails and reverse, LIGHTLY tinted, and I left the reflectors un-tinted:

I also painted the outside surface of my gauge cluster and parts of my engine cover black:
It collects dust a little faster but oh well

Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

New oil cap

Hail storm last week
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Bought a Cosmo intake, but it only came in blue so i painted it black. Also painted oil dipstick black and STARTED to insulate my A/C line. You may notice I have the snorkel part of the old airbox still in place, I have it routed to beside the foglight to get some cold air. I plan to make a small enclosure for the filter element to block some engine heat.

I also used my touch up paint to paint in the numbers on my shifter lol

Derf

Post by Derf »

Like the blacked out badges, tinted tail light housings, and trim changes on your Salsa Vibe. Blends well, each change fit with the next. Image
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
AustinG

Post by AustinG »

The painted accessories look good; that's exactly the type of thing I've done with the vibe.

I'm also considering buying the Cosmo intake. Did you notice any difference after you installed it? I assume there is a minute change, but the engine can definitely breath easier.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Derf wrote:Like the blacked out badges, tinted tail light housings, and trim changes on your Salsa Vibe. Blends well, each change fit with the next. Image
Thanks!
AustinG wrote:The painted accessories look good; that's exactly the type of thing I've done with the vibe.

I'm also considering buying the Cosmo intake. Did you notice any difference after you installed it? I assume there is a minute change, but the engine can definitely breath easier.
I've noticed a loss of low end torque but a nice little pickup in the higher rpm range. The sound is great!
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

looking good, every little thing helps make it yours and stand out in a crowd
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Changed my gear oil and greased all shift linkages. Shifts so much smoother now, and it was easy. I plasti-dipped my rear bumper valence and love how it looks:

I also bought some more Grafxwerks stuff. Door lock overlays (I bought black ones before, that was pointless haha) these ones match the colour of my car:

Bought a vibe badge overlay and stuck it on the dash in front of the passenger seat:

I also have 2 black Genvibe.com decals, locations to be determined.
07cdnvibe

Post by 07cdnvibe »

love how the valance came out the black really stands out on the dark red color, was thinking about getting the overlays for the door locks mine have faded out to a nice yellow.... nice to see what you do to your car since we both have identical cars....it is like a test for me if i were to do some of them to mine, you know what they say copy is the greatest form of flattery there is......
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Thanks! Here are some of the interior pieces I painted with plastidip:

I have also been working on a heat shield for my intake, its on but i have been tweaking its design, pictures to come!
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The car looks great! Love the black details.

What kind of paint did you use?
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

SeattleJeremy wrote:The car looks great! Love the black details.

What kind of paint did you use?
Thanks! Appreciate the comments! I used black plasti-dip (Preformix) that I bought at Home Hardware.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Stopped at a couple campsites last week with my girlfriend, her mom, her sister and her sister's husband. Not wilderness camping, but it was still fun. We went to Sauble Falls, Ontario, and Point Farms Provincal Park, Ontario. I took lots of pictures but here are just a few!

runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Doug14 wrote:I plasti-dipped my rear bumper valence and love how it looks:

:shock: I may have to steal this idea. I love how that looks!

What did you use to paint the roof rails?
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

I am not the first to do that, looks great tho so I recommend it! I don't remember which paint I used for the rails exactly but I think it was just a gloss black rustoleum or tremclad metal paint.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Also am working on some LED switchback turn signals but not working out so far haha
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

You've done some good things here. I need to look through your posts for more ideas.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Image Couple genvibe decal spots, above rear lisence plate, and in door sills
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

So i was working on getting switchback leds for my turn signals, had to switch pins to get the white to be the parking lights and the amber to be the turn signals. but I now realize that i would prefer the type 2 switchbacks(amber/off/amber/off) type one is (amber/white/amber/white) but overall a good learning experience for cheap $13 pair haha.
Last edited by Doug14 on Thu May 22, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Installed Progress rear sway bar and gave the vibe a nice clean and hit some light scratches with a clear-coat polish. Love the way the car feels with the beefier sway bar, I still need to have a front wheel bearing replaced and need new front struts, then I have a set of Tien H-techs I will put in!
I took off the "Progress" sticker because STEALTH!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Looking great! I'm excited about you getting lowered.

Also, love your kitty. I have one just like her:

"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit