lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base "Epona"

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
lannvouivre

lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base "Epona"

Post by lannvouivre »

So...I have a two-toned frost white Vibe. It's my first cat and it used to be a rental in Travis County.
Oldest image:

Recent:

Genvibe Pontiac, IL meet 2014!

2006 Pontiac Vibe
1ZZ-FE engine
4-speed autotragic
FWD

Options:
Electric windows and locks
Extended rocker panels
Crappy unpainted plastic trim
Fog lights

ENGINE MODS:
CROWER stage 1 N/A cams
Monkeywrenchracing OEM-style 79.5 MM pistons
KING main bearings
MWR coated rod bearings
cosmoracing short air intake with very attractive Edelbrock filter
Motor mount inserts in front mount. I took too long messing with the rear mount and had to give up (I found out that the transmission had actually leaned and pinned the mount between itself and the crossmember, but didn't have time to try and install the rear inserts)

EXHAUST:
DC Sports "shorty" header THC4405
High-flow OBDII-compliant Eastern Catalytic bullet-style or whatever catalytic converter (possibly failing already)
Vibrant 1140 Ultra Quiet resonator
Hooker 21503HKR Aero Chamber muffler
DC Sports tip

SUSPENSION:
TOKICO Blue HP struts all around
TEIN S Tech springs

ELECTRONICS:
Pioneer GM-D1004 400-watt 4-way amp
Pioneer speakers in front
Push-to-start with RFID
Stubby antenna
Kensun HID 5000K bulbs
3" Morimoto S7 D2S Q5-R projectors
LED rings inside shrouds (amber)
LED interior lights
LED license plate lights

BODY:
GM molded splash guards
Factory style upper deck spoiler in black
Roof painted black
Stupid plastic trim painted metallic black
Custom headlight paint job with MC-R projector shrouds
16" KONIG "SWURVE" wheels...the paint is peeling on one, and it also has massive curb rash
Interior bezels painted some taupe metallic color
Carbon Fiber vinyl wrap on HVAC and shifter bezels
GM emblem 22724862 on front bumper

DECALS:
GRUMPY CAT! on rear window, so no one is confused about the personality of the person driving the car
Red "vibe" decals where side badges were (someone doored one of the OEM badges and ripped off the paint down to the primer under the badge)

PICTURES:

Cosmoracing Short Air Intake, Edelbrock Filter:

Stubby Antenna:

Painted roof:

DC Sports header:

DC Sports exhaust tip:
<no picture yet>

Fender stripes:

Lowered on TEIN S techs:
That's for you, thebarber

Hooker Aerochamber muffler:
<no image yet>

Vibrant 1140 Ultra Quiet Resonator

Wacky headlights color scheme:

3" Morimoto S7 D2S Q5-R projectors with Kensun bulbs

Push-to-start with RFID:
<new picture needed>

Metallic black trim:

GM-style upper spoiler, Grumpy Cat decal, royal Hylian crest decal:

Front Hylian crest decal
Last edited by lannvouivre on Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:06 pm, edited 22 times in total.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jkm311

Re: lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base (lannvouivre)

Post by jkm311 »

I love hearing about rescued Vibes. Good work. I actually think the bra color matches the tone of the cladding close enough, too! Looking forward to any more pics you put up.
Steelies to the rescue.
MotoAce51

Post by MotoAce51 »

Not bad. Just don't get why its debaged then stickers put on which go back to looking badged...
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
lannvouivre

Re: (MotoAce51)

Post by lannvouivre »

Quote, originally posted by MotoAce51 »Not bad. Just don't get why its debaged then stickers put on which go back to looking badged...When I debadged the right door, the floss slid under it very, very easily. I got it off and the paint was...not in good shape. The badge had been cracked (which is why I took it off) and there was a tiny dent over it, but I think I probably did something wrong anyway.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Blanco_Diablo

Re: (lannvouivre)

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Looking good so far. Can't wait to see how everything progresses
TONY TAT2

Re: lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base (lannvouivre)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Hi !
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

YAY new picture!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Update: Short Air Intake via CosmoRacing. Warning: my engine bay is so dirty it will probably make you cry.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Update: New wheels and a chrome exhaust tip that I got used for super cheap.Hoping to wash my car this weekend with the help of the BF so I can take pictures that are worth putting in the OP.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Painted calipers
NascarXprt

Re: lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base

Post by NascarXprt »

Looking Good! which reminds me.. i just washed the car today and i need new photos.... :ugeek:
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
lannvouivre

Re: lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base "Epona"

Post by lannvouivre »

Tokico struts are on, and I just picked up a fancy hood that I'm getting painted white sometime this century!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

ImageThe projectors! This is how my headlights look right now.
ImageFitment test of shrouds, they're held in with Scotch tape for this picture. I don't have the shrouds in right now.
ImageAnother view of the shrouds.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Those look great! I'd love projectors for my Vibe. I think they look good without the shrouds. Kinda stealthy.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I like how they look without shrouds, but not how they stick out and look kind of like they are floating. The shrouds are these: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/produc ... ts_id=1355" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I may end up painting the shrouds and the housing gunmetal grey, but I'm not sure yet. I'm pretty terrible with spraypaint :P
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Just go really light with the coats, and prep very well. How difficult was the retrofit?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Fairly easy. Honestly, the hardest part is getting that darn sealant off. I used the oven to open them up, then a combination of a flat-blade screwdriver, heat gun, and endless cursing to scrape off the sealant. Oh, and you need to be careful putting the front bumper on if you're working alone, I'd recommend taping (with delicate painter's tape) microfiber towels to the fenders where they meet the bumper before you put it back on. I'll try to take pictures to explain next time I take the bumper off.
ZBVibe

Post by ZBVibe »

Those wheels look great!!!! I have an 06 white & grey base like yours with the 5-speed. It's been a great car and I've been thinking of putting some new shoes on it. lol.
2006 Base Vibe White
81,000 miles
De-badged
Carbon-Fiber overlay hood emblem
Well maintained
More to follow....
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Pickups aside, it needs to be lowered
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Thanks guys!
thebarber wrote:Pickups aside, it needs to be lowered
Maybe next year, this year we're finishing up with all weather mats, splash guards, and maybe painting the hood. Might also be getting an exhaust.

Next year, I have uppergate spoiler, swaybars, and maybe dressing up the interior on the list. If possible, I also want to do a header and Tein H-techs.

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

This post will now be for Tokico Blue HP strut pictures.
Last edited by lannvouivre on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Hopefully I only need a couple more posts
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

C'moooonnnnnn....Page 2....
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Epona wearing mac99d/Jason's old JSP hood just prior to its attempt to kill me. I was making sure it fit alright and didn't have time to take it back off that day.
Last edited by lannvouivre on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I didn't latch my CF hood well enough and it flew open at 45 MPH.
Last edited by lannvouivre on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Windshield replacement has eyebrow tint or whatever.
Roof painted black due to unforseen hood-windshield disaster.
Frontal view.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Glad you're okay. That'd be incredibly scary. Was there much damage to the CF hood? How much warmer is your Vibe's interior since the roof was painted?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

KITT222 wrote:Glad you're okay. That'd be incredibly scary. Was there much damage to the CF hood? How much warmer is your Vibe's interior since the roof was painted?
The CF hood looked fine, but was slightly yellower where the resin got cracked from hitting the wiper arms. I am very thankful for tempered glass because I was just horribly ashamed and embarrassed, as opposed to ashamed, embarrassed, and covered with blood and glass shards.

I haven't noticed any temperature differences as I have yet to hop in after she's been in the sun. I look forward to the complaints my mom is going to dish out when it's summertime as she has already made comments about "having a car with a black interior disapproving expression*" (Her car is almost black with a very dark grey interior, so her comments are hilarious to me).

I still need to wrap the upper hatch with black gloss vinyl to complete the look, I look forward to learning how to mess with it.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I kinda want to play with the looks of my Vibe in a similar way. Blackout roof/hood center/grille. I'd just need to figure out which method I want to go with, Plasti-Dip or vinyl.

I can only imagine the embarrassment. But hey, you get a black roof and new windshield as a result! Similar to how I feel about getting rear-ended. I'm angry about it happening, but I get all-new clips and fasteners, as the ones previously on there were aging badly. And now they're garbage. :roll:

Kinda jealous at that hood... I assume you aren't going to paint it, since you just got a blacked-out roof?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

It's still getting painted white. It's uh...it's missing a LOT of clear coat, lol.

I think you could plastidip to see how it looks, then vinyl if you like it. The best part about the black roof is...Dad didn't notice! And he helped me switch back to the stock hood!
DVibe

Post by DVibe »

I don't notice a temperature change with my black roof. Black roofs are the future ;) Looks good!
Roll with soul.
DVibe's Garage
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

White Vibes look great. I couldn't find a white one when I finally decided to buy mine. The black roof is excellent! Who painted it and how did you come up with the idea?

Picture that carbon fiber hood matching that black roof! White will look pretty darned perfect, too. Would be a tough decision for me to make... but looks like you have already decided! Car's looking awfully good. 8-)
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

DVibe wrote:I don't notice a temperature change with my black roof. Black roofs are the future ;) Looks good!
Thanks. I don't know if the temperature inside is different yet as it is still winter. Also, since I just hate the cold and don't mind the heat (surprisingly I sweat and cool off really well, but freeze to death under 20 layers), I don't think I'll mind if it gets way hotter during the summer.
vibolista wrote:White Vibes look great. I couldn't find a white one when I finally decided to buy mine. The black roof is excellent! Who painted it and how did you come up with the idea?

Picture that carbon fiber hood matching that black roof! White will look pretty darned perfect, too. Would be a tough decision for me to make... but looks like you have already decided! Car's looking awfully good. 8-)
I came up with the idea after seeing so many white KIA Fortes and Mercedes with black roofs in town. Looked nice and sleek, so I thought maybe the Vibes would look good with the same treatment. Then I saw that DVibe's car did indeed look good with black CF wrap. I WAS just going to vinyl it, but then my hood dented the heck outta the roof and they said they'd have to take off the paint to pull out the dent and repaint the whole panel anyway. On a whim, I asked them to paint it gloss black if it wouldn't affect the price of the painting. I almost backed out but decided the painter probably wouldn't like me changing my mind at the last second.

Anyway, the paint job is thanks to the guys at Davis Body Shop here in town. They did a brilliant job on it, although there's a bit of overspray that I'll be claybarring once it warms up. I had them work on it today but they didn't get it off...and I'm not sure if their wash-people can still see or feel the overspray as well as me, even though it's black on white. Very good service, though, and didn't act miffed about me checking on my car over and over.

Oh, and uh, I plan to actually paint the JSP hood white next year because the rounded and pushed forward grill on the 05-08 models doesn't compliment the lines of the hood's edges as well as the 03-04 grill. The painting and prep will cost over $800. I was going to do the prep myself, but I have never done this sort of thing before and my bodyshop-experienced friend chickened out on supervising me.

Instead, this year I'll do header/spoiler and maybe lowering springs ( TEIN H-techs) instead. Don't wanna go too low, I might get stuck in a parkinglot pothole or drive off another curb thinking it's an exit ramp. Jesus, that was a lot of talking from me.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Agree, just looked closely at DVibe's garage. I have seen several black roofed cars. Looks best on white, though. Your Vibe is definitely very distinctive now. Take more pictures of it when you get the chance and stick them in your garage!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
mac99d

Post by mac99d »

I apologize for my old hoods separation anxiety. I like where you are going with your car ;)
Mac's Vibe.
My garage viewtopic.php?f=30&t=37677" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

mac99d wrote:I apologize for my old hoods separation anxiety. I like where you are going with your car ;)
I'm excited about impending header, spoiler, springs, and maybe even cams. WOO!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

DC Sports THC4405ImageInstalled with the help of my classmate in Automotive Technology.

Installation guide, courtesy of MatrixOwners' trimovingxr
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Oooh, shiny! Too bad they don't stay that color.
Image  Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Rayven01 wrote:Oooh, shiny! Too bad they don't stay that color.
That's ok, us hobbits can't see them well anyway; not without a stool.
Mariachi

Post by Mariachi »

doesn't ceramic stay the same color?

very nice though if i may add. :D
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

OOOOO im liking where this is going! now get her lowered! lol
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Mariachi wrote:doesn't ceramic stay the same color?

very nice though if i may add. :D
Actually, it's turning a warm bronzey color where my classmate and I had touched it. I wish I could remember to put my hands all over the runners when it's cold so that it's all the same color.

And thanks!
NascarXprt wrote:OOOOO im liking where this is going! now get her lowered! lol
Maybe later this summer. ;)

MOPAR stripes!:

in vinyl, thanks to CustomCreations, a local business.

Another engine bay shot: