lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base "Epona"

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
lannvouivre

Re: lannvouivre - 2006 Vibe Base "Epona"

Post by lannvouivre »

Magnaflow muffler and exhaust tip.
http://youtu.be/yij7BThpbBA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Next time I have her on a lift, I can take a picture of the fantastic fab work done by a local shop.

EDIT: And no, I'm not flipping anyone the bird. I have my hand out flat to block out glare from the sun. :oops: :P
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Preview picture of headlights painting.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Sounds good! and the headlights look awesome too
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Well, the Magnaflow muffler had a core break loose after about 24 hours of normal driving. Fantastic!

I verified that the internals of the muffler had detached from the body and had my classmates saw the muffler off to be mailed off. The base exhaust without a muffler on (distance driven: class to home, home to the muffler shop so about 6 miles total at the most) sounds just like a single-engine propeller plane to me. It's not as loud as most trucks, but it's way too loud. Did not help that the piping was ended under the trunk. I was going to wait on a refund from the seller we bought it from on eBay, but the guy managing the shop was too difficult and we'll be redeeming the warranty through Magnaflow and selling the replacement. Apparently certain models of Magnaflow mufflers are more prone to failure, so I don't feel willing to put the replacement on and risk having it fail as well.

I drove the Imba Impala for the next day until the thermostat bypass upper pipe blew out a 1.5" gash and spewed a lot of coolant about halfway home. Luckily it didn't overheat and I have a replacement L-pipe at the shop I work at ready to be bought at a discounted price.

I bought a Thrush welded muffler (#17659) and had it welded on for $80. Sounds fine to me and weighs considerably less than stock. Sound will come much later. It is also not the same size as stock and louder, but doesn't drone on the highway (75-80 MPH) as the Magnaflow did.

My next projects:
[*]paint exhaust system, excluding tip and header, VHT flameproof red for rust protection and also just because
[*]remove Magnaflow tip because anger
[*]JEGS tip with Thrush logo engraved on it (??? this may be a pricey task)
[*]roof rack caps
[*]cams

My mom walked by and told me I spend too much time on my car, as though maybe I should spend it instead on painting my nails or watching the news 24/7. Given that I'm waiting for Zach to get off of work in the next 30 minutes at my parents' house, I'm not sure what she really expects me to be doing? :?:
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Expect the big project to be completed in the next week (Mon-Thurs); much thanks to SalsaGuy for his great deal of help in making this happen, mac99d for encouragement and diagrams, and two people I can't reveal yet. Don't worry, you'll be recognized as long as my engine doesn't explode.

If it blows up, the wait will be considerably longer. And also my parents will probably disown me and Zach will break up with me. And I'll be forced to live on the streets, sleeping in cactus and eating scorpions to survive.
TheMastrmind

Post by TheMastrmind »

Awesome Vibe! The headlights look awesome and I cant wait to see the big reveal
I pretty much struggle with an addiction to music.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The links broke here :(
Last edited by lannvouivre on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Here's my push-to-start system with RFID. Turns out my PKE system wasn't broken, but my 12V+ constant STOPPED BEING HOT. NFI what happened.

New Stonehenge picture.

New main picture.

Old picture I think I've posted before?

Now over 100k!
Last edited by lannvouivre on Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

I was looking at the push to start systems, how was the install of it?

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

kaflex wrote:I was looking at the push to start systems, how was the install of it?
It's not too hard. The one I got was $34. Make sure you get RFID, otherwise anyone can hop in and start the engine.

In the ignition harness, you need to splice into the ON 1 and ON 2 position wires, a 12V+ constant, run a wire down to a ground, splice to ACC and START.

The other wire you have to splice is the brake light switch. The one I got also had a wire for the "break right" which took me forever to realize meant "brake light;" I did not splice this one in, however.

You also are supposed to leave the end of a key in the ignition cylinder and in the ON or ACC position to unlock the mechanical steering wheel immobilizer.
kaflex

Post by kaflex »

lannvouivre wrote:
kaflex wrote:I was looking at the push to start systems, how was the install of it?
It's not too hard. The one I got was $34. Make sure you get RFID, otherwise anyone can hop in and start the engine.

In the ignition harness, you need to splice into the ON 1 and ON 2 position wires, a 12V+ constant, run a wire down to a ground, splice to ACC and START.

The other wire you have to splice is the brake light switch. The one I got also had a wire for the "break right" which took me forever to realize meant "brake light;" I did not splice this one in, however.

You also are supposed to leave the end of a key in the ignition cylinder and in the ON or ACC position to unlock the mechanical steering wheel immobilizer.

$34!!!!! :shock: The one I was looking at was $200 something. Where you get it at?

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The Push-to-start button I ordered was from aliexpress.com . I have had pretty good luck with the products on there, although I rather hope the employees assembling these goods are treated well. If you ask store owners about the products, you'll usually get a response within a couple of days. Sometimes they don't speak or understand English, but if they can help you they always give you a good response.
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Sorry if I missed your post, but what type of paint did you use on your headlights? How was the painting process, did you have to use multiple coats? ? What did you mask with? Do you have any close-up shots of the final look? Apologies for all of the questions, I have a project in the works and in the advice-seeking stage :)

Your ride looks great BTW!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I used Duplicolor inside the housings, just the "factory-match" colors that I still have no idea whether the white matches. I used some Ford gunmetal color on the housings and the ...arctic white GM color? Just make sure you use a primer color that's different from the color coats. I didn't use any clearcoat. I think I did at least 4 coats.

The outside was lacquer clearcoat, which is kind of cracking near the turn signals, so I have to wetsand and repaint (probably with Krylon clear this time).

Thanks ;)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

To do list:
Engine overhaul completion
  1. Tighten exhaust cam sprocket bolt
  2. Tighten exhaust manifold spring bolts
  3. Tighten rear motor mount
  4. Get help lifting the engine so last motor mount bolt can be installed
  5. Hook up throttle body coolant hose
  6. Slide hose clamps into positions
  7. install negative battery cables and wire wraps
  8. Plug in fuse box
  9. Install intake
  10. Finish bolting on and plugging in power steering pump
  11. Install drive belt
  12. install battery
  13. Install axles and refill transmission
  14. Pray to Mara
  15. Test drive
Other
  • Replace or restore headlight lenses
  • Convert to rear discs
  • Repaint interior trim
  • LEDs
  • Shinies
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Engine is running!

To do
  1. Replace or restore headlight lenses
  2. Convert to rear discs
  3. Repaint interior trim
  4. LEDs
  5. Shinies
  6. Upgrade radiator, fan, and fan shroud/overflow tank; install transmission cooler
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

lannvouivre wrote:Engine is running!
Ah the sound of success ;) You go girl! Updated pics of everything when you're done.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

:D
high five!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Updated my original post with pictures that aren't broken ;)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Updates:
Quantum Audio 4-channel amp
Edelbrock air filter
Thrush glasspack muffler

I cleaned up the original post's list of mods.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Newest picture. Removed stripes because they were really beat up.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Updates:
Replaced glasspack with a 2.25" Vibrant SuperQuiet or whatever resonator.
Replaced Thrush welded muffler with 2.25" Hooker Aerochamber muffler
New Hyrule flair so that everyone knows where my allegiance lies, in case anyone was unsure
New Pioneer speakers in back
New Pioneer compact 4-channel amplifier because the Quantum failed and the company would not fking respond to my queries
New 3" Morimoto projectors, forgot the model name
New Kensun 5000K D2S bulbs
New wheel well liner from my BF running over some poor huge roadkilled animal when we were in Dallas, ironically a day or two after we went to Roadkill Takes America
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

New GM emblem 22724862

HVAC etc bezels wrapped in 3M cf vinyl. Yes, they aren't all going the same way. No, I am not concerned about this.

Also got some cheap paw-print aluminum tire valve stem caps. I am hoping they won't fade or get stolen.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Lookin' good Leigh! Is that a 2nd gen badge?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

vibenvy wrote:Lookin' good Leigh! Is that a 2nd gen badge?
G6 trunk badge, apparently. Would have to look it up again.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Ah. It definitely looks like the 2nd gen badges. They probably used the same badges on all their models.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

The sizes very by a good deal.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/awezoom?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

I used this seller.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Replaced my Opt7 ballasts with a Kensun kit. I was having to use some amp to D2S adapters with my last set of Kensun bulbs, and unfortunately the adapter wouldn't release one bulb and the ground insulator got broken. The new Kensuns are D2S with amp connectors and 4300 or 4500k.

Massive improvement. The Opt7s are ok, but they didn't output enough power and the right one always had problems with fluctuations.

lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Sebring wheels because the konigs are ejecting their clearcoat.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I do like those Sebring wheels on a Vibe. I keep wondering how it would look if the gold on them was replace with red to mach the calipers and the Vibe script.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I might end up doing something like that later on, but I just had to order some new tires on top of still needing to work on replacing the transmission with a C60 soonish. The local job market remains cruddy, unfortunately.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Valve cover and oil pan aren't done.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Aaaaaand I sold it. When I have replaced a couple of parts on the replacement, I will post it in Others.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

lannvouivre wrote:Aaaaaand I sold it.
Gary told us in Nashville :cry:!
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

This is what I have now. :)
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

:shock:

Wow! Enjoy!!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum