KITT222s 04 Vibe garage

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
CAMOGIRL

Re: KITT222s 04 Vibe garage

Post by CAMOGIRL »

Nick: I have to say, yours is one of my very favoritest (I KNOW!!) Vibes EVER. It's so subtly modded, that it's classy and clean but very unique. Your dedication to her is apparent and I can't wait to see what the summer brings for you guys!

Also, I am super excited that I get to see her in person. :P

HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIBBY!!
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

To be honest, I'm at a loss for words. That's pretty much the nicest thing anyone has said to me regarding my Vibe. Thanks a whole ton and a half, and I'm REALLY eager to see you and your Sonic at the meet as well.
EVLVibe

Post by EVLVibe »

Awesome looking car!! love how clean it is.

Where did you find the LED headlights i have been looking EVERYWHERE for a cool pair but everything i come across (for vibe and matrix) are stock. major downer! might do mine custom i guess with LED strips from Crappy tire
ENTER THE GARAGE viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

EVLVibe wrote:Awesome looking car!! love how clean it is.

Where did you find the LED headlights i have been looking EVERYWHERE for a cool pair but everything i come across (for vibe and matrix) are stock. major downer! might do mine custom i guess with LED strips from Crappy tire
Thank you! The LEDs on my headlights were just cheapy China LED strips. I removed them recently, as I did an HID retrofit.

And it seems ocne again I left GV out of the loop while Facebook got all the updates. Woops. Anyway, here's my new HID headlamps! Several months on, and I still love 'em.

The Vibe has very very little aftermarket, especially as far as the body is concerned, so everything has to be custom. I don't find it a problem. Just more of a chance to be creative and make it your own.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Those headlights look amazing. How much was the total cost to you for that retrofit, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, you've got the factory chrome tip for the exhaust right? How was the install, was there anything to adjust positioning-wise or did you just clamp it on and you were good to go? I've got one of those coming in the mail. It looks good on your vibe! *Thumbs up*
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I think I paid under $400 for everything, and that's a high-end guess. I can never go back to reflector beams. Projectors are that good. Thanks!

A few updates!

Plastidipped my rear bumper

And installed a new DC header!

The factory exhaust tip needed some good tapping to get it on. We covered it with a cloth and hit it a few times with a mallet to get it so the piper met the end of the tip piping. My tip was bent out of shape, which is why it was a PITA to get on. If yours is still round, you should be good.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Nice Retrofit ....still need to lower it though ;)
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

thebarber wrote:Nice Retrofit ....still need to lower it though ;)
Can't go any lower. All our jacks are too tall as it is!
dannyy72

Post by dannyy72 »

Love your Vibe. One of the nicest I've seen. I want to steal your front LED mod and the HID retrofit. Where did you get them from? I was gonna buy a set of LED strip off of ebay but was kinda worried that the ones I get from ebay would be very dim, where did you get yours? Did you do the HID retrofit yourself?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

dannyy72 wrote:Love your Vibe. One of the nicest I've seen. I want to steal your front LED mod and the HID retrofit. Where did you get them from? I was gonna buy a set of LED strip off of ebay but was kinda worried that the ones I get from ebay would be very dim, where did you get yours? Did you do the HID retrofit yourself?
Thank you! My front LEDs were from Ebay with a custom switch, and my own wiring. They weren't strips, but more of DRL/fog style. I got the ones with a black backing as opposed to chrome. Part of the reason mine are so darn bright is because I used thicker wire than provided to power the lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360756961368?ss ... 1423.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the HIDs, I retrofit them myself. It was quite the experience, and LOADs easier than I thought. I got my H1 projectors w/ 6000k bulbs from Kieth at ultimateretrofit.com. He doesn't do retrofits himself temporarily, but he may still be able to send you the stuff or redirect you. Otherwise, theretrofitsource.com will have everything you need for slightly more. You'll definitely need more butyl glue if you want to make sure you seal the lights (available from The Retrofit Source). If you want I can walk you through how to do the retrofit.
dannyy72

Post by dannyy72 »

I would love to give it a try if you can walk me through it, thanks.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

dannyy72 wrote:I would love to give it a try if you can walk me through it, thanks.
Alright, I'll give it a try. I recommend some videos and visiting forums specializing in retrofits in addition to this, just because it will aptly prepare you.

1. Remove headlamp assemblies from car. Remove bumper (a bolt per fender, a bolt per side for the fender splash guards, the plastic grille screw-pins, hood-stops, and two pins on the bottom side of the bumper bar, disconnect fog lamp wires). Rest bumper on a cloth, or at least lying back on the fender curve. There are bolts on the top of the headlamp assembly screwing it into the fender in the engine bay. Behind the bumper plastic there is another bolt accessible through a space in the bumper guide clip on the SIDE of the fender. Unclip/remove bulbs.

2. Take headlamp, and make sure there isn't any grime or bugs which may get backed into the plastic. Remove the bulbs, rubber bits, metal pieces, and plastic moisture caps (you'll be fine leaving the adjusting screw in the light). There are screws holding the lens to the rest of the assembly, so make sure you remove them. Then preheat your oven to 260F (ish... you'll find other numbers and bake times online. So only what you feel safe doing). Get a cookie sheet. Before turning your oven on, put the rack so the headlight will set in the middle of the oven. If the lens is to close to the heating element you'll get some lines on your lens (like I did) that are imperceptible from far away but noticeable if you're as picky as me.

3. Place the light on the cookie sheet, and place it in the oven. Wait whatever amount of time is recommended for the temperature (because I have since forgotten how long I baked mine... woops :? ), then remove with your choice of heat-resistant gloves. I DO NOT recommend oven mits because you will then use the gloves with a flathead screwdriver to pry back the little clips holding the clear lens to the black plastic.

4. By no means will this be easy: pry the lens from the rest of the assembly. You will need to pop the assembly into the oven a few times to keep the glue warm and malleable.

5. With the lens (finally) off, take off the bulb cap via the screw where the bulb went. You will not be using it anymore. Insert the new projector assembly with adapter to 9003 socket after you or the seller has tested it. Don't leave the HID bulb in while inserting the projector or baking. Tighten the nut down with thin-nose pliers.

6a. Take your new butyl glue, and cut off a section. Roll the strand in your hands like making a Play-dough snake to get the strand thin enough to fit the channel in the headlight. Set it in there, and press the lens in with slight force.

6b. If I were to re-do my retrofit (which I am going to do so I can replace my headlamp lenses) I'd scrape all the old glue out of the channels and off the lens. Other forums may have better word on this. It isn't necessary, as I didn't, but me being picky will lead to this. If I would've had more time I would have scrapped the glue off (but go figure, it was almost 11pm and I had to drive the car to school tomorrow morning. At least it was spring so it was light out at 7am, meaning I could aim them the next day).

7. Put the light back in the oven to make the glue soft once more. Take the headlamp out of the oven, and use some very large clamps to press the lens into the glue. Once the lens is set back into the clips on its black backing let it warm up one more time before letting it sit to cool off.

8. Once cool, put the various rubber bits and screws back onto the assembly. Wire the ballasts with the bumper off. You will only use one of the existing headlight plugs, so cover the other one to prevent shorting. Reassemble your car!

9. Aim the lights. There are other guides, but from a distance the cutoff point must be 2-2.5 inches lower than the projectors when the car is on flat ground.

So that's my overview. Numbering is a bit random (my bad) but should give you a decent idea of what you're getting yourself into.

Other resources:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/install_guides.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum.p ... ca366f6236" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/recomm ... itters.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dannyy72

Post by dannyy72 »

Thanks KIT222s for giving me the step by step. I really gotta hand it to you, brave to tackle a job like that. I am a car guy I work at a car dealership, and I am kinda scared to do a job like that. The part that worries me most is the positioning of the projector lens. How do you know if you are installing it properly with the correct angle onto the housing? But I think I am gonna give it a go and see what happens, lol.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

dannyy72 wrote:Thanks KIT222s for giving me the step by step. I really gotta hand it to you, brave to tackle a job like that. I am a car guy I work at a car dealership, and I am kinda scared to do a job like that. The part that worries me most is the positioning of the projector lens. How do you know if you are installing it properly with the correct angle onto the housing? But I think I am gonna give it a go and see what happens, lol.
Thanks! To be honest I expected that step to be harder, but it sits where the bulb goes, and is adjusted the same way the halogen bulb is. You just slide it into place and screw it in. I keep a screwdriver in the back of my Vibe to adjust on the go if I need it.

OOH! Also, keep everything free of fingerprints, dust, pet hair, human hair, etc... Or it will be permanently set on the piece. Keep a microfiber towel nearby to clean everything before final assembly.
Bubonic

Post by Bubonic »

Love your silver vibe! I'm jealous of the sunroof and I like the wheels you decided to throw on her. How did you go about getting those sick eyelids on your headlights? They go well with your blacked out rear view mirrors.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Thanks! Those awesome eyelids were found on Ebay. They're fiberglass, and the first set I got was damaged, and the seller replaced them no charge and resent them with better packaging. They can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vibe-Pontiac-Ey ... nw-collect|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I painted them with Plasti-dip, which is slightly faded now after this time. I think I may mask them off this spring and do another few coats over them. And on the 03/04 Vibes, the mirrors were black plastic, unpainted. The 05-08 two-tones also had unpainted mirrors (one of many difference which can be found in the Everything You Need to Know thread in my sig).

I'm rather happy with how the rim combo turned out! It looks perfect with the rest of the car. Rather understated. A friend thought they were OEM. Now he thinks it's cool that I have Hotwheel rims! Thanks again for the compliments!
MetalFiend

Re:

Post by MetalFiend »

KITT222 wrote:Thanks everyone! It is very much appreciated. Clean is what I'm going for. Nothing too ostentatious. Brandon, here's your close-up!I was initially going to use this to cover my front Pontiac arrow, but I decided against it. Its better to show off the classic now-defunt arrow! (Although I do think Applejuice's Vibe has a newer G6 front arrow. Makes mine look like (removed)...)
Invader Zim! Awesome!
LavaIlliniVibe

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

You are an inspiration to Vibe owners everywhere! Thanks for doing so much for your Vibe, from one '04 owner (Lava) to another! :P

By the way, does anyone else get sad when you see an abused/mistreated Vibe? I do! Makes me want to open an orphanage for them... :x
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Wow, thanks mate! I love messing with my car. I don't think I could ever own something stock.

I do get sad when I see them. If I had the cash I'd buy and restore them to their former glory, improve this and that, and do a few crazy projects with some of them.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I've been busy...

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Looks good Nick! Now if only they can stay looking that good for several years :o I need to touch mine up and there are not that many miles on mine since painting them.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Oh man, those hood struts are too cool! I wonder if they work on 09+?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

gtv237 wrote:Oh man, those hood struts are too cool! I wonder if they work on 09+?
If the hood is roughly the same weight, I don't see why not, although for any Vibe it's going to be a custom mounting job.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

lannvouivre wrote:
gtv237 wrote:Oh man, those hood struts are too cool! I wonder if they work on 09+?
If the hood is roughly the same weight, I don't see why not, although for any Vibe it's going to be a custom mounting job.
I actually found a kit for the Matrix. 06pvibe used the same thing.

I've been busy these past two days....

Installed: Megan Racing coilover struts (set to same ride height as Canuck springs), rear disc swap, stainless steel braided brake lines.

Brake upgrades complete: four-wheel disc w/ Stoptech rotors/pads all around (drilled/slotted up front) w/ steel braided lines.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Right on! love those coilovers! how much work was the rear disc conversion?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Doug14 wrote:Right on! love those coilovers! how much work was the rear disc conversion?
A lot of work. I got new parking brake hardware, pads, rotors, and it needed longer bolts than the rear disc hubs. And because of their strange grade (11) we needed something special. But I've heard of people buying the whole hub assemblies with parking brake cables. Then the hardest part would be the brake lines, which were indeed a pain to unscrew from the hard line due to corrosion. I may have done it in the toughest way possible (and now need GT parking brake cables) but it's done, and I'm happy.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Yeah I figured as much. Probably won't tackle this one haha