my jacked up little vibe

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
Zvibe04

my jacked up little vibe

Post by Zvibe04 »

this is my baby. my dad gave it too me when i got my license, and i had it only 5 DAYS before a girl went AROUND me and cut within about a foot of my front bumper, and smash. Evevtually I'm gonna get it painted 2 tone, metallic black and candy red, and eventually im gonna punch it up some. the main thing i wanna do to it is put a 5 speed it it, swapping out the auto, which i HATE. I'd rather spend alot on this car than get a different one, b/c i love my vibe, and im gonna keep it as long as i possibly can.

Attached files
2004 base vibemoon and tunes pakagealuminum rimsauto trans (hated)this car is my BABY
06pvibe

Re: my jacked up little vibe (Zvibe04)

Post by 06pvibe »

Ah. A man after my own heart. I applaud you wanting to go stick, but we have the 5-sp in ours and you may be in for more than you bargained for in the end.1) Even a used tranny will not be that cheap. The '03-'04 5-speeds were known to be weak so get a later one if at all possible.2) The OE clutch is junk so stay away from those. A good quality stage 2 clutch or something like the CenterForce Dual Friction clutch is supposed to be a good choice. 3) You will need a full pedal assembly and the switches and hydraulics that go with it.4) You would need to install a pilot bearing in the rear of the crankshaft. No big deal, but don't forget this step.5) I'm not sure what is needed to eliminate all the auto trans stuff, but there is likely going to be some different wiring and an ECU (computer) that controls your existing automatic.6) I would recommend going with the TWM Short shifter for a firmer feel and to have a stronger shifter base, but you would need some parts from a factory shifter in order to convert it.7) Consider doing a lightened flywheel at this time.Or,8) I hear the 6-sp from the GT is easier to get and with the right clutch plate will bolt right in. The cons of doing this are few, but if fuel mileage is an issue, keep in mind that the 6-sp has a much higher final drive ratio. This will raise engine RPMs at all speeds, cause some additional wear on engine components and certainly reduce MPG's.On the plus side, because the final drive is shorter the car will feel snappier and shifts (between gears) will be shorter timed. In other words, it will drive like a close ratio transmission, which basically it is.8) Perhaps you and your Dad could consider replacing the entire drivetrain w/one from a GT? This would give you the higher revving 2ZZ engine that is matched to the 6-sp box all ready. Of course you would need the ECU from the donor car as well.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
Zvibe04

Post by Zvibe04 »

thanks, im thinkin about getting a 04 vibe gt thats been wrecked in the back or side, to use as a donor car, but there isnt a junk/salvage yard close to me
2004 base vibemoon and tunes pakagealuminum rimsauto trans (hated)this car is my BABY
Zvibe2004

Re: my jacked up little vibe

Post by Zvibe2004 »

i totally forgot about this!!!! its a 6 speed now, the front bumper is silver instead of black now, and it has a ton of lil odds and ends stuff done to it, but shes still runnin like a champ!! :D
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)