Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
burkeyro

Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT

Post by burkeyro »

ModsWindow TintShort Ram ACT Extreme w/Street DiskFidanza FlywheelCustom Exhaust (Kept Stock CAT)Tein S-Tech"Special" Rims Possible Future ModA/F Gauge - possible fuel managementAnd that it - it is a daily driver after all, and I have Big project in my garage that needs some work.Before PictureCurrent
tcam

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (burkeyro)

Post by tcam »

looks good. but I don't think it'd be right to take out the cat.
burkeyro

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (tcam)

Post by burkeyro »

It should be fine, as long as it can still build the backpressure needed for the motor to run right. Its probably going to be only 2.5" that opens to 3" at the tail pipe. I need to do some more research first. I love Ohio, depending on where you live no E-Check
Navtrtl

Post by Navtrtl »

I wouldn't get rid of the cat. You risk major fines and getting the car impounded. I just read an article in the October issue of Import Tuner where they did a dyno test on a stock cat, two aftermarket cats, and a straight pipe. The straight pipe only netted a 5hp gain and a gain of 3ft/lb torque. If you went with the metal core Magnaflow OBD II cat, you would get an increase of 4hp and 2ft/lb. Ceramic core Magnaflow OBD II would get you 3hp and 2ft/lb. The metal core is if for if you are running a very rich a/f ratio. The ceramic would burn up under those condition. Basically, you can lose almost as much back pressure with a good aftermarket cat without breaking the law or harming the planet. (I'm not a tree hugger, but no sense in hurting the planet for a 1hp gain." They say that you can make up the 1hp and 1ft/lb difference that the straight pipe gives you just by dropping 10lbs. So cut off the head of your most annoying passenger, and you should be good.
VforVIBE

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (Navtrtl)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Navtrtl »I wouldn't get rid of the cat. You risk major fines and getting the car impounded...Not in FL, no emissions tests, ha!
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Navtrtl

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (VforVIBE)

Post by Navtrtl »

There may be no tests, but it is still illegal. FEDERAL EMISSIONS LAWS. You may never get caught if you use a bad cat, but not having a cat doesn't take a emissions test to figure out.
VforVIBE

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by Navtrtl »There may be no tests, but it is still illegal. FEDERAL EMISSIONS LAWS. You may never get caught if you use a bad cat, but not having a cat doesn't take a emissions test to figure out.You don't have to worry about me, my cat is still whole.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
meistees

Post by meistees »

looks awesome with the drop!
Genvibe Garageormy car at cardomain
Navtrtl

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (VforVIBE)

Post by Navtrtl »

I don't mind if anyone removes their cat. It's theirs to remove. I just wanted to point out that you can get nearly the same gains from a good aftermarket cat as you can with a straight pipe. I'm sure the Magnaflow cat would cost less than the fine and/or impound fees.
tcam

Post by tcam »

I agree with what Navtrtl is saying. I'm not a big tree hugger either, but there's no point in hurting the environment for 1 to 2 extra hp. It's not a big deal to me if u take out the cat, it would just be hard for me to ever do that to a car of mine, knowing the damage that it would be doing to our environment.I dunno. Different perspectives I guess
808 Vibes

Post by 808 Vibes »

VERY nice!!!!!!!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
burkeyro

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (Navtrtl and tcam)

Post by burkeyro »

Navtrtl and tcam,You both bring up Very good and important points. All very good things to consider. I'm not even to the Research phase of this little endevor and probably won't be for at least another year or so. These are the things that I'm going to look for. Depending on what I find going on with my A/F, my next project may end up being fuel management. Poluting is not my intent, and 1hp is definately not worth it. These are a couple of things that I won't have to search for when I start my research on this to Thanks for the input, a little less that I have to do now
Navtrtl

Post by Navtrtl »

Quote, originally posted by burkeyro »Navtrtl and tcam,Thanks for the input, a little less that I have to do now No problem. I try to help whenever I can. I don't really know enough to be helpful that often, but I try.
tcam

Post by tcam »

Quote, originally posted by burkeyro »Navtrtl and tcam,You both bring up Very good and important points. All very good things to consider. I'm not even to the Research phase of this little endevor and probably won't be for at least another year or so. These are the things that I'm going to look for. Depending on what I find going on with my A/F, my next project may end up being fuel management. Poluting is not my intent, and 1hp is definately not worth it. These are a couple of things that I won't have to search for when I start my research on this to Thanks for the input, a little less that I have to do now thanks. Have fun with ur modding
burkeyro

Post by burkeyro »

Finally got the Exhaust done, Kept the stock CAT - Sounds really good IMO - It really doesn't sound as RICEY as I though it would.
burkeyro

Post by burkeyro »

Here are some low quality sound clips:http://mkii-supra.com/images/S...1.wavh ... S...1.wavI also just put on my Clutch and Flywheel. Fidanza with ACT Extreme and Street Disk. Much Better
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

everytime i see your username i think of eeyore from winnie the pooh..lol...sorrryyy just had to mention this....dude i like those rims..where they from?
burkeyro

Re: Burkeyro - 2004 Vibe GT (waveresponder)

Post by burkeyro »

Quote, originally posted by waveresponder »everytime i see your username i think of eeyore from winnie the pooh..lol...sorrryyy just had to mention this....dude i like those rims..where they from?ROFLMAO - Nice. and I stole them from my buddy's SRT-4, Offset is a little bit off, but they work for me.
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

I'm likin your 'special' rims. What are they? and did you sell them with your Vibe?
bull77

Re: (Amtron)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by Amtron »I'm likin your 'special' rims. What are they? and did you sell them with your Vibe?they look like rims from a neon or caravan
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

Quote, originally posted by burkeyro »ROFLMAO - Nice. and I stole them from my buddy's "Neon" SRT-4, Offset is a little bit off, but they work for me.hope that helps
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
Amtron

Re: (NascarXprt)

Post by Amtron »

Quote, originally posted by NascarXprt »hope that helps ...wow, I can't believe I missed that. Especially since it was the post right above me lol thanks Cole!
burkeyro

Post by burkeyro »

Yeah, I gave them back to my buddy, Gave he a brand new set of tires on them too. 225-50-17's They looked A LOT better with more meat on them then the rubberbands I was running. If you are serious about wanting them, I'll see if he is willing to sell 'em. Only thing is a couple of them got curbed a little. not too bad but annoying non-the-less.