Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
53Bowtie

Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Postby 53Bowtie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:36 am

Hi All!

Figured I would go ahead and start a thread to document the work I do to my newly acquired 2009 base model (Jo-Jo). This is mainly for my benefit to "store" modifications and maintenance work but I hope to get input and feedback along the way from the community. Who knows, maybe I will end up doing something no one has done before adding some benefit to the community before it is all said and done.

So first, here is a quick pic......

She had just under 136,500 miles when I picked her up a few weeks back. Mechanically, not in the best shape but also not in the worst shape either. First order of business is to get the car running and driving in tip top shape as she will be my daily so that I can focus my truck on more "weekend warrior" duties.

Let the work begin.......
Thomas

Josey (Jo-Jo) - 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L Base, 136k and counting (Daily)
James - 2002 Reg Cab Silverado, few mods (Race Truck)

53Bowtie

Re: Jo-Jo 2009 Base Model

Postby 53Bowtie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:49 am

First things first......the engine oil and transmission oil looked about the same, both a greyish color. To clean those up I have a two step plan.......

The first step has been implemented and consisted of the following:
- Change engine oil with Valvoline MaxLife 5w20
- Add Rislone engine treatment with new oil
- Change engine oil filter
- Drain transmission pan and refill with Valvoline MaxLife ATF
- Change engine air filter
- Add BG Products CF5 fuel treatment in gas tank

My plan is to run this for between 500-1000 miles allowing the Rislone to fully circulate and trap any gunk in the oil filter. Right now I have about ~600 miles on her since this work was completed so may do step 2 next weekend or the weekend after depending on "new house chores".

I filled up with fuel shortly after doing step one and calculated 27.79mpg. Not bad to me considering my truck gets about 10mpg. But I knew she could do better due to reports from others that ~30mpg is attainable even in winter months. At the second fill up I calculated 29.91mpg which is the first full tank with the step one work completed. Much better! I think things are starting to clean up nicely on the inside :D
Thomas

53Bowtie

Postby 53Bowtie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:54 am

Just dropped Jo-Jo off at the dealership yesterday to take care of the current issued recalls. Apparently none of them had been taken care of prior to my purchasing her. The dealership took care of three recalls:

1) Drivers airbag clock spring
2) Drivers window switch
3) Drivers floor mat securing

Although these where the only three recalls that came up on their VIN search I remember my search returning another recall for a freezing brake booster line when in cold weather. I am not sure why this recall didn't come up on their search. Maybe it has expired after so many years? Not sure. As I understand the recall was simply to modify the existing brake booster line. Does anyone have a picture of their modified line or know what needs to be done to satisfy the recall? I will just do the work myself if I can get some information......

Thanks!
Thomas

MacGyver

Postby MacGyver » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:13 am

Recall 09199 - Loss of power brake assist in extreme cold weather
Part required, one 19205281

https://repairpal.com/recall/09V392000

Also check the cabin air filter, it's hidden behind the glovebox and its probably been ignored on your Vibe given it's shape.
2009 Vibe Base

53Bowtie

Postby 53Bowtie » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:52 am

MacGyver wrote:Recall 09199 - Loss of power brake assist in extreme cold weather
Part required, one 19205281

https://repairpal.com/recall/09V392000

Also check the cabin air filter, it's hidden behind the glovebox and its probably been ignored on your Vibe given it's shape.

Thanks for the part number Mac! I will change the cabin air filter when I do step 2 for my engine/transmission "flush" :D
Thomas

53Bowtie

Postby 53Bowtie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:04 am

So finally had some time this past weekend to do Step 2 of my engine/transmission "flush". Here is what I did:

- Engine oil change = AMSOil OE Synthetic 5w20
- Engine oil additive = BG MOA
- Engine oil filter = NAPA Gold
- Transmission fluid change = AMSOil ATF Synthetic specifically for Toyota/GM/etc.
- Transmission fluid additive = BG ATC
- Transmission fluid filter = NAPA Parts
- Fuel additive = BG CF5

The transmission fluid was not quite as nasty as when I did the first drain 800ish miles ago but the filter was atrocious. Remains to be seen if any permanent damage has been done but I am hoping not. With the new filter and second round of new fluid it shits MUCH smoother to the point where you can't even feel the 1-2 shift anymore (prior it almost felt like it had a shift kit installed). I assume this is because the line pressure was higher due to all the sludge and stuff in the system.

Anyway, excited to see if there is an improvement in driving and mpg......

Next on the list is spark plugs and brakes all the way around once I get another freeish weekend......
Thomas

53Bowtie

Postby 53Bowtie » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 am

Well I had some time this past weekend to do the spark plugs and brakes along with new inner fender liners.

Decided to go with NGK laser iridium plugs (had the original Denso plugs in it).

Went with Raybestos Hybrid brake pads and their Premium rotors along with their caliper pin kits all around. The old brakes were cooked and the drivers front inner and passenger rear inner were all the way down to the backing plate.

Also replaced both front inner fender liners due to the drivers side one flying off going down the highway and the passenger side one falling off enough for the tire to rub a hole in it. Having a heck of a time finding the correct plastic push-pins to get them completely secured (if anyone has any part numbers or sources to buy in bulk that would be great!).

Feels like a different care now! Didn't realize how much the brakes were dragging during normal driving I guess. Definitely much quieter and "easier" to accelerate and hold speed. I love this car!!
Thomas

collins92

Postby collins92 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:51 pm

Sounds a fun project. Just subscribing.

53Bowtie

Postby 53Bowtie » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:20 am

collins92 wrote:Sounds a fun project. Just subscribing.

Thanks! Nothing too exciting, just trying to get her up to speed for daily driving duty. I think she is about there! Figured it couldn't hurt to document my progress as it may benefit someone in the future.....

All the exciting stuff happens on my 2002 Silverado that I tinker on and drag race with occasionally :D
Thomas

Return to “GenVibe Garage”