shift knobs

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
bassfreak

shift knobs

Post by bassfreak »

I just totalled my last car, saturn sl1, and now im joining the vibe family! I had shorten my shift knob on my saturn and added a carbon fiber ergonomic shift knop and boy does it feel good in your hand, wraps right around it, my buddy ripped it out of my totalled saturn, now im wondering how hard it would be to install on the vibe, I had to take the console out and everything for my saturn, and from what i've seen the vibes shift knob is slanted a bit, has anyone tried this? should I just leave the factory knob in? Any suggestions or comments about this little mod, please let me know, thanksI might be getting the vibe tomorrow, its already ordered, I cant wait!
NovaResource

Re: shift knobs (bassfreak)

Post by NovaResource »

Welcome to the forum and to the Vibe family. Sorry to hear about your Saturn but glad to know you're OK. About the shifter knob. Is it just the knob itself or the whole shift arm? If it's just the knob, it should fit. Most shifters use a standard thread. If not, you may be able to drill it out and either tap new threads or install a threaded insert.
MrRich

Post by MrRich »

I put a new shift knob in my Vibe with no problem at all.And it looks much better than the factory Knob!
GenVibe Patriarch
DVDvibe

Re: shift knobs (NovaResource)

Post by DVDvibe »

From the way it sounded in his thread, it sounded like he was wanting to put the whole shift arm since he had to take the whole console out. I have never heard of anyone taking the whole console out just to change the knob. The slant that you are talking about is usually so that the shifter leans towards you to make it easier for you to shift. If you are going to install your new one, I would try to bend it close to the way that the stock shifter is bent.
bassfreak

Re: shift knobs (DVDvibe)

Post by bassfreak »

no no, its just a knob, its a bolt on though, not a screw on the threads, I had to take the console out cause I used a hack saw to shorten it on my saturn, I loved that mod, but im too scared to do it on my new vibe, I had to take the console out to take out the boot, so it gives me room, so how do I take the stock knob off, just turn it?or am I going to have to take the hacksaw out again?
DVDvibe

Post by DVDvibe »

Not sure, haven't looked at too much of anything on the Vibe yet...haven't had enough time to work on it like I would. I will try to check tonight.
millster

Re: shift knobs (DVDvibe)

Post by millster »

Assuming we are talking about the manual here, it just twists off.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Greg100575

Re: shift knobs (MrRich)

Post by Greg100575 »

quote:I put a new shift knob in my Vibe with no problem at all.And it looks much better than the factory Knob! any pics?im interested in replacing mine too, ive noticed the stock one hurts my hand after driving all day. its too small for my big handGreg
03 Aybss Vibe GT17' Wheels5% Tint
nkaltso

Post by nkaltso »

One of the first things I did was replace the Shift Knob. I have the 5 speed and the stock knob looks cheap and out of place with the rest of the interiors appoitments. I replaced mine with a MOMO Cobra (carbon fiber look to match the seats) swaping the knob was easy: just unscrew the old one and for the MOMO knobs you just install a rubber spacer/adapter, slip the knob on, tighen 3 set screws, and finally screw on the MOMO collor the cover up the screws. It takes 3 minutes to install, just make sure, if you have a knob that fits the form of your hand make sure you clock/position it to comfortably fit your hand. I had to go back and re clock it because it was uncomfortable at first.let me know if you have any questions.
[Modified by nkaltso, 9:56 PM 12/2/2002]
NickNeptune Vibe5 spd, Nav, side airbags, monotone,