door gasket wear

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
joatmon

door gasket wear

Post by joatmon »

Today I noticed that I am getting some wear on the driver door gasket, the one attached to the frame, (the "B" pillar?)Looked real close at the way that the door fits, and I don't see how it could be the fit of the door causing it to wear out. I must be rubbing against it as I get in and out of the car, but never noticed doing so. It's worn significantly. (stuck a penny in for scale)

Attached files
MrRich

Re: door gasket wear (joatmon)

Post by MrRich »

Holy smokes!That lokks pretty bad!I don't know what you did,but something is wrong.Because that is not a natural wear.
GenVibe Patriarch
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Maybe your seal was defective...looks like it might have just dried out prematurely....Will the dealer cover it under warranty?I gotta make sure I silicone my seals as soon as spring comes!
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

I'd tell the dealer. no way that should be worn already.
tatooine315

Post by tatooine315 »

Hey the same thing is happening to mine???? I am taking it straight to the dealer..now what was that stuff folks put on the rubber to make it last longer??? RS.
2003 LAVA VIBE
ragingfish

Re: door gasket wear (tatooine315)

Post by ragingfish »

I picked up a "Multi-Prupose Silicone Lubricant" at the boys of pep...It indicates on it that it's perfect or use on rubber gaskets.I'm ASSUMING this is the right stuff...Stang, you and Nova were the ones who told me what to get, is this right?Haven't actually had a chance to apply it yet though....
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
VibeChick

Re: door gasket wear (ragingfish)

Post by VibeChick »

How often are you supposed to lubricate the seals? It is pretty dry where I live, wonder if that would cause the seals to wear faster...
Used to have: 04 Monotone Abyss 5 SpeedNow the proud owner of a black 2005 SRT-4230 Hp250 lb/ft torque
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Had the dealer check it out today, they said that they would cover it, but that the cause was most likley me rubbing it while getting in & out of the car. They had to order the part, but since I have about ~35K on the car, I needed to get it in the system soon.I figure that it was from me, and will be more careful in the future. Where the gasket is located, it gets rubbed before anything else, it's right on the edge. Not sure if silicone would help reduce wear on it or not, The gasket is not dried out, just abraded.
VibeChick

Post by VibeChick »

How do you manage to rub against it that much? I'll have to make sure I am not doing the same thing.
Used to have: 04 Monotone Abyss 5 SpeedNow the proud owner of a black 2005 SRT-4230 Hp250 lb/ft torque
Altus

Re: door gasket wear (VibeChick)

Post by Altus »

Well I just checked mine -- and mine's worn out too!And it's most definately NOT because I'm rubbing up against it.I went so far as to have my wife watch me / the seal while I got in and out several times to see if I was rubbing against it -- and she said I'm not even coming close to it. Guess I'll have to take a trip over to the dealer too.....
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
VibeChick

Re: door gasket wear (Altus)

Post by VibeChick »

Okay, I'm checking mine tomorrow...I've only had it for 3 months now, so I'd hope nothing was wearing out yet!
adventurer

Post by adventurer »

The best stuff to use on the seals at about every six months is a Dielectric Silicone Grease. It comes in a tube and a little goes a long way. Just rub it on a clean seal with a cotton cloth.
2004 Satellite Mono Base w/ Moon & tunes & pwr pkg
Altus

Re: door gasket wear (adventurer)

Post by Altus »

Any silicone based light lubricant will work to help keep the seals in good shape. Spray, grease, or liquid -- it's up to you.Ask at any auto parts store for silicone lube for the door seals -- the guy/girl there will show you what they have.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Checked mine today, wow looks just like yours went to the dealer and he said no problem it shouldn't wear like that. he ordered me a new one.
Stang2Vibe

Re: door gasket wear (ragingfish)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »I'm ASSUMING this is the right stuff...Stang, you and Nova were the ones who told me what to get, is this right?Yeah, that is the right type of product, Mike. I agree with the others that say to use this once every 6 months. That should provide maximum protection and life of the gasket. Even once per year is better than nothing. The dialectric grease is a good idea and will work well, but I think that it's more messy to use than a spray like Mike got. There are also liquid silicone products in a non-spray can that will work great too, but any of these things will do the trick. I caution against using petroleum based products, though (like Vasolene or WD-40, etc.) They might actually accelerate wear and the drying out of the gaskets because petroleum products will break down most kinds of rubber. Stay with the silicone products. And no, using the silicone would most likely not have prevented the kind of damage to the gaskets that some of you have been reporting. Either there is a door fitment issue or people are just rubbing against it when they enter/exit the car. I'll have to check mine now as I haven't noticed this problem with mine yet.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Herb

Post by Herb »

This isn't a new situation for me. On my first car the same thing happened. I finally figured it out what caused it. I keep my wallet in my rear left back pocket and that part always ends up rubbing slightly against the seal.I've recently looked at the seal on my Vibe and sure enough, it's wearing in the same spot.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
scherry2

Re: door gasket wear (Herb)

Post by scherry2 »

I noticed my heavy winter coat rubs against it when i get in. it seems like the door doesn't open wide enough for a straight slide into the car.
Herb

Re: door gasket wear (scherry2)

Post by Herb »

It probably has to do with how far you have your seat back. I bet the shorter drivers out there who have the seat located further forward probably doesn't have an issue with wear on the seal.
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
scherry2

Re: door gasket wear (Herb)

Post by scherry2 »

your probably right.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My seat is all the way back. Maybe people who have the seat farther forward will wear out the side of the seat faster.
Altus

Post by Altus »

Well - was just at the dealer today for oil/filter, so I had the service guy take a look at the seal too. Lucky for me - they're going to replace it under warranty! Seems they agreed that it wasn't normal wear -- even if you did rub up against it, that's still a lot of wear.So they ordered it, and I get to have it replaced soon - yay!
kriswinner

Post by kriswinner »

Great find, joatmon. I looked at my car, and sure enough I have the same wear. It's the interior door trim panel rubbing on the gasket. With the door open (obviously) I found a greyish fuzzy material on the inside door panel where it contacts the gasket. That material is part of what used to be my gasket.I don't know if maintaining the seals regularly (some kind of lubricant) will keep them new or whether we'll be making the replacement every few years. I suspect that the same problem exists on the passenger side front, but since that door is used less frequently, I don't see any signs of wear.No one let the dealer tell them that it is an "operator error" or abuse!Let's see car has 16k mi.... Another set @ 35,999...
2003 Vibe GT - LavaMoon & Tunes, 6-disc, Side emblems removed, Real horn, SLP Ram-Air Hood
Merzbow

Post by Merzbow »

My gasket is also worn...I just figured it was my own fault so I'm glad someone else has the same problem Well not really glad bnut you get what I'm sayin. Mine isn't quiteas bad as yours Joatman. I have to squeeze between a little 20 inch opening when I'm getting into teh car because my mom takes up so much of the garage with her huge taurus Maybe that's why it's wearing out.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/541918-1999 Infiniti Q45t-2003 base Vibe (Rest in peace my love)-2002 Ducati Monster 620 Dark
Altus

Re: door gasket wear (Merzbow)

Post by Altus »

Okay - so went to the dealer yesterday to have the door gasket replaced - no problem.Took them 2 hours to do the job - but hey, I got a complementary hand wash - no problem.Got out to my car -- and the worn/torn section is still there! THEY REPLACED THE WRONG SEAL! *doh* Seems the seal on the door is listed on the parts page for the door as "weatherstripping". HOWEVER, the body-side weatherstrip is NOT shown on that diagram. Turns out it's considered to be part of the interior -- it's called "Door Moulding, with integrated Weatherstrip".Well - at least they've got the proper part ordered now, and I got $97 worth of door weatherstripping for free! Oh - and it takes more force to close my door properly now
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

My dealer supposedly ordered "moulding", although I would have thought it to be a gasket (thread title) or maybe weatherstripping. I expected they would order the wrong part, maybe they didn't . The part is finally in, take the car in Monday for the work, so I'll find out then how it goes. Before I took the car in to have the gasket looked at, I decided it was from me rubbing against it getting in and out. The guy at the dealer and I both agreed on this, but he said he'd cover it under warranty anyway. The location of the gasket is such that if you touch anything getting in or out, it will be that gasket material. This may be some general design flaw in the door gasket placement, putting soft foam rubber on the most likely contact surface, but it's not anything that there can be an easy fix for. When I do get the new gasket, I may look at putting some sort of plastic or vinyl tape over that part of the gasket because I really doubt if I will always be careful enough every single time I get in and out of the car.
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

I checked out my door gasket/molding yesterday and noticed that I have some damage on mine also. There is about a 6 inch long area that is all scuffed, but it's not torn or anything yet. I think that mine is caused by rubbing up against it when entering/exiting the car as well.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
scherry2

Re: door gasket wear (Stang2Vibe)

Post by scherry2 »

Its called a primary door weatherstrip
Altus

Post by Altus »

Well not for GM Canada it's not -- that's the problem.Here it came up as"Interior - Door Moulding (LH F) - with weatherstrip"The seal on the door was easy to find, as it was on the parts sheet for the doors.This one was included as one of the parts sheets for the Interior, and listed under Mouldings -- not Seals, Gaskets, or Weatherstrip.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

[QUOTE=Altus] GM Canada -- that's the problem.QUOTE]Yep thats the problem alright.....
Altus

Post by Altus »

>very dry monotoneha ha hait is to laughoh stop....*ahem*
RoundUp

Post by RoundUp »

Does anyone with their seat farther forward have the wear problem? My weather stripping is fine, but I don't know if that's because I'm shorter.I wiped off the dielectric silicone grease that the dealer applied the last time I was there. I found it really gooey. Is the silicone spray any good?
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Altus »>very dry monotoneha ha hait is to laughoh stop....*ahem*quite a sense of humor you have there... I think your right roundup, that its the taller people that are rubbing against the "Interior - Door Moulding (LH F) - with weatherstrip" with their backs/coats. I use the spray silicone on my parts less mess.
Stang2Vibe

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »I use the spray silicone on my parts less mess.A little more info there than I wanted to hear. LOL.
scherry2

Re: door gasket wear (Stang2Vibe)

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by Stang2Vibe »A little more info there than I wanted to hear. LOL.I ment....oh never mind.
joatmon

Re: door gasket wear

Post by joatmon »

My dealer ordered and replaced the correct part. The ticket says they replaced part number 88970318 "MOLDING 14.665" The part would have been about $90US, but was done under warranty so my cost was zero. Action taken was listed as "replaced left door weather strip".I was there for a total of 80 minutes. Was glad to see that when they moved the car around the tech didn't have any trouble with the manual tranny Spent the time looking around at the shiny new cars. The GTO has a $1,000 gas guzzler tax added on, assembled in Australia. The chevy Aveo has 5% US/CAN parts content, 92% Korea, assembled in Korea by GM DAT.Dealer had 4 vibes, all with auto tranny, 2 satellite monotones with all the options, including exhaust tip, one satellite two tone with less equipment, (those 3 out in the yard) and a Lava monotone on the showroom floor. They said they sell a lot of vibes, but mine was the first in for anything other than routine maintenance. Parts department had no information on the supercharger, even for the auto tranny, so they were no help on info about the SC for the manual. Service department was really busy, so I didn't interview them about the battery.
Altus

Post by Altus »

The one thing that caught my attention, and that proved to me that it wasn't jackets rubbing up against it, is that for all of us that have noticed the problem (there's about 5 of us now), it's in the EXACT same location on all the cars. Exact same 6 inch stretch by the door latch.If it was being caused by coats or rubbing, odds are it would be in different and multiple locations. This is in one, specific location among different owners. Hence - it's something else.After having an extremely close look at it while I'm opening/closing the door, I'm positive the doors interior panel is rubbing just slightly - causing the wear. Whether this can be adjusted or not - we'll see once the dealer gets the moulding in.And on that note - heard from them today that "it's on backorder" - so who knows when I'll actually get it.....
RIT

Post by RIT »

I also have the same wear problem. In fact i noticed it the day before the topic hit the forum. My dealer ordered me the part over the phone - no questions asked. I picked it up last Saturday - it came in a 3 ft x 3 ft x 6 inch box. My wife thought they sent a whole door. I plan to install it myself, and keep the old one for "spare parts". i can cut off sections of it, and "paste" them in when the new one wears out, and I am out of warranty. I think the quoted price was $58. Thank goodness for Bumper to Bumper warrantees.
scherry2

Re: door gasket wear (RIT)

Post by scherry2 »

the dealer ordered a new weatherstrip and it came in, to bad it was the weatherstrip on the door and not the door ring. he re-ordered it and they are replacing it monday when they paint the roof.
Altus

Post by Altus »

Yup - just like what happened to me Do did they put the part on for you anyway like they did for me?Not that they have much use for it otherwise.....Good luck!
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

yea they did. i still can't believe they ordered the wrong part and installed it.on top of that the service manager says "GM will send you a service questionaire for warranty work and i need you to fill out everything excellent." I can't wait to get that form....Hmmm... maybe blackmail (you want excellent on this form how about you paint the hood of my vibe)
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Woo hoo, this high quality rubber has been wearing thin for some time now, and today I find it is completely split open. Had a small piece being held on by a just a little shred of rubber, so I ripped that off. I'll get a pic of this thing, it looks pretty funny. I think I'm McScrewed here - IIRC GM Major Guard does not cover crap like this... Haven't checked yet, so yes, I'm being lazy, but does anyone know how much I'm going to have to pay to replace this cheaply manufactured piece of rubber?Whenever I get this pile-o-poo Vibe back in the shop, I'll ask the dealer, but I imagine it's a lost cause and I'll have to buy the damn piece myself...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joatmon

Re: door gasket wear (ColonelPanic)

Post by joatmon »

gmpartsdirect says the part that I got replaced is list $47, list $82. Mine is still holding up ok, but to replace the trim they had to pull the A pillar trim, and I've had problems getting it to stay in place since then. If you get it fixed it might be worth picking up a spare A pillar trim fastener or two
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

well here is one we haven't heard from in a while. my drivers door weatherstrip is worn thru. this is a replacement that the dealer said was a warranty problem. I know its me rubbing against it with my carhart coat. guess I'll pay for this one.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

When I had mine replaced under warranty at about 35K miles, I kinda felt guilty, like it was my fault and maybe it shouldn't really be covered under warranty. I'm at 100K miles now, and I really do not think I have modified the way I get in and out fo the car, but after 65K miles on the replacement weatherstrip, it is holding up great. A little bit of wear, but nothing anywhere close to what the factory one had. So, if the dealer said it was a warranty replacement, take them up on the offer while you can.edit - or are you now looking for a third one and are out of warranty?
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

Quote, originally posted by joatmon »edit - or are you now looking for a third one and are out of warranty?it will be a 3rd still under warranty, but the dealer has been pretty good about my mods. so maybe I'll see if they'll replace it again, if not no problem. and to really get him going I'll ask him how much a GM discount I will be on a supercharger.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by scherry2 »it will be a 3rd still under warranty, Did you get an extended warranty? Looking at http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...33725 it would seem like you got your Vibe about October 2002, which would put you beyond the three year standard period.
scherry2

Post by scherry2 »

7 years 70,000 miles
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Dealer replaced my split driver's side rubber door molding a few weeks ago under warranty. Service manager said it was caused by closing the door with the seat belt buckle hanging there - I needed to be more careful when exiting the car to make sure that buckle was out of the way. Also said the Vibe was the only car he had that problem with. I don't think it would have leaked - just looked bad.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
MichaelCArens

Post by MichaelCArens »

my mother in law and i used to have 2 vibes, same year different colors. we traded my gray one for an rx300. both cars had the seal wear problem both on the inside seal and the seal that goes around the glass on the door. took the dealer 4 days to replace, its amazing how parts mysteriously disappear. anywho after i go the car back we found out the idiot techs installed the inner door seals wrong, they put the driver side on the passenger side and vise versa. anyways, its amazing the difference new seals made, much less wind noise. the dealer (bunnin in oxnard) refuses to call me back regarding the whole deal.
Curt

Post by Curt »

I've noticed the same thing has happened to my door gasket. It's caused by the seat belt shoulder harness not retracting all the way back and at times getting stuck in the door cutting (sawing) on the gasket. Seems the gasket (or weatherstripping) is no longer available anywhere that I've looked unless someone knows of a source I haven't found yet.
Curt