door gasket wear

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
joatmon

Re: door gasket wear

Post by joatmon »

Curt wrote:I've noticed the same thing has happened to my door gasket. It's caused by the seat belt shoulder harness not retracting all the way back and at times getting stuck in the door cutting (sawing) on the gasket. Seems the gasket (or weatherstripping) is no longer available anywhere that I've looked unless someone knows of a source I haven't found yet.
Curt
Curt, you joined a while ago, but since it says this is your first post, Welcome to genvibe.

Nice threadsurrection Image

The molding is part number 88970318, a google search shows a couple of GM parts resellers that still offer it, $85=$100 or so. Not sure its worth it.

At some point, perhaps 4 years ago, I replaced mine again, this time myself using one I got off a wreck at a junkyard for token money
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Hi,

I have a door gasket/moulding/seal issue with the left rear door opening on an '03 Vibe. This rubber has really separated from the body (not the one on the door itself). I think the part number is 88970320. I cannot find it in stock anywhere, except a shady site that seems to have everything in stock. Anyone have ideas where to get this?

Otherwise does anyone know if this rubber is the same shape as for the Matrix?
Is this an issue in terms of water seepage? I've had plenty of rain but there seems to be no water penetration.
A guy at Midas suggested gluing it ... but my web search indicates this is from shrinkage and gluing won't work long term. Anyone else had this issue and solved it with glue?

Thanks
Curt

Post by Curt »

Thank you joatmon for the information on the molding. I'll see if I can locate one using those part numbers. I really like my for and I read this forum group almost every week to find out how to keep my Vibe in good condition. It's a pretty easy car to work on and coming here first is always a good thing to do prior to working on my car. I bet I've saved a $1000.00 a year by doing most of the work myself using what I read here.Thank you again.
Curt
Victory

Post by Victory »

ihaveavibe wrote:Hi,

I have a door gasket/moulding/seal issue with the left rear door opening on an '03 Vibe. This rubber has really separated from the body (not the one on the door itself). I think the part number is 88970320. I cannot find it in stock anywhere, except a shady site that seems to have everything in stock. Anyone have ideas where to get this?

Otherwise does anyone know if this rubber is the same shape as for the Matrix?
I am also looking for the trim/moulding for cabin entry (gm#88970319) and wondered if the Matrix moulding/weatherstripping was the same shape/ dimensions as our Vibe (1st Gen), as GM Canada says discontinued. I see availability on a Toyota site.
Any help/knowledge is appreciated! TIA
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe
Victory wrote: wondered if the Matrix moulding/weatherstripping was the same shape/ dimensions as our Vibe (1st Gen), as GM Canada says discontinued. I see availability on a Toyota site.
Any help/knowledge is appreciated! TIA
I don't know, but sometime before the end of March I'll see my son and can compare between my 03 Vibe and his 03 Matrix
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Today I was able to compare a spare front driver door gasket from a Vibe with the one on an 03 matrix, and they are the same. I did a visual only comparison of the driver side rear door gasket between the two cars, and they also look the same to me (different than the fronts, but the same between the two cars that is). I put it at reasonably high confidence that gaskets from a Matrix will fit a Vibe.

I have a spare front driver door gasket and both the front driver door gaskets on my Vibe and Matrix have long holes worn in them, but as I don't notice any effect other than cosmetic, I'm not inclined to fix them at this point
ihaveavibe

Post by ihaveavibe »

Before seeing joatmon's post about the front door gasket, I parked next to a Matrix, eyeballed the door opening, assumed that they didn't manufacture different frames, and finally just decided to go for it and ordered the Toyota part for the left rear door gasket (62334-01020-B0). I installed it today and can confirm that it fits.

Not entirely sure it was worth the cost (about $100). Mine wasn't frayed, had no holes, it had simply shrunk and separated from the frame.. perhaps glue would have held it but I read that never really works in the long run. While waiting for the part I saw some interesting videos and posts on removing the carpet and finding rust on the floorboard, so perhaps next step is to inspect that..