rear doors will not open from the inside

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
nugentc

rear doors will not open from the inside

Post by nugentc »

A while ago the right rear door started sticking so that it won't open from the inside at all. It does open from the outside. Then shortly after, it happened on the left side as well. So now neither door opens from the inside back seat. I replaced the outside handle on the right rear about a year and a half ago, but don't know what might be going on with the inside handles. Any ideas?
Zimm

Re: rear doors will not open from the inside

Post by Zimm »

sounds like an issue with the child proof locks to me. i had a similar issue on one side of mine. at the time, i was under warranty so i had the dealer handle it because i had no idea what was causing the problem. my guess is there's info in the owner's manual.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
MacGyver

Post by MacGyver »

There are little switches on the inside of the door near the latch. On some cars you need a screwdriver to toggle them, but not on the Vibe.

You could always turn your Vibe into a police cruiser and throw perps in the back seat. :P
2009 Vibe Base
nugentc

Post by nugentc »

Interesting, MacGyver! I'm not near the car now but will check this out later. There might be something to this because when the second one stopped working, I remember that the seat belt buckle had been sticking out into the latch area when we tried to close the door. I bet it knocked into the switch there. Thanks for the tip!
nugentc

Post by nugentc »

Just looping back to follow up in case it is helpful to someone else--the issue was the little switches noted by MacGyver! I can't believe I never noticed them before. Thanks so much!