Fixing Loose Windows

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
BustedVibe

Fixing Loose Windows

Post by BustedVibe »

The windows are pretty loose. In certain positions my drivers door will rattle bad enough I'm afraid it'll break. Other doors are in varying states. But in general all windows can be gripped and manipulated by pulling on them and seem to be quite loose.

I am wondering how much is involved in popping the door panels off and getting to the window nuts to secure them? I heard they have problems with coming loose, so what can I do to keep them in place, but still removeable for service? Are the nuts themselves hard to reach? (tight space?)

Do I have to pull everything off? I've never pulled a vapor barrier off before so that kind of has me worried I'll rip / ruin it or something.

Re: Fixing Loose Windows

Post by jolt »

Check YouTube for door panel removal and replace the window rubber weatherstrip track.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If the window is clunking on the way down, it could be from the well known bolt backing out problem. Check the GM recall site to see if there is an outstanding recall on your VIN for this (it was issued years ago so it may have already been taken care of.)

See here for a thread on correcting: viewtopic.php?t=19269

Also, solid advice above regarding the window weatherstripping as these tend to deform considerably over time. I replaced the fronts which were in considerable disrepair and it made a noticeable improvement on how tight the windows fit (not to mention a huge decrease in wind noise.) That said, the windows had a lot of play in them even when these cars were new so do not expect perfection.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
BustedVibe

Post by BustedVibe »

I don't think I get a clunk. Just really loose windows that rattle. I'm afraid what would happen if I stick a 600W subwoofer into the car like I am planning :lol:

I will check out the thread and the weather stripping idea.