Grease stains on seat

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Mark

Grease stains on seat

Post by Mark »

Last weekend while running errands I grabbed a slice of chicken-bacon-ranch pizza at a local pizzeria, and ate it in my car. Of course, I dripped grease on the seat in front of me, which has turned into a pretty ugly stain.

I tried some fabric stain remover spray, I think that just spread the spots. I've read lots of solutions on The Google, but I'm hoping some fellow GenVibers have some experience removing grease stains. Any helpful tips or solutions? I've read good things about Turtle Wax upholstery cleaner. I've also read that backing soda, WD-40 and several other things work as well.

Color me skeptical. What actually works on the Vibe fabric?
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
tpollauf

Re: Grease stains on seat

Post by tpollauf »

Never had to actually clean grease out of upholstery BUT I've had to do it on clothing quite a bit and I've had somewhat good luck using any industrial hand cleaner. GoJo, Permatex Fast Orange, etc. Especially where it has the Pumice in it (love that stuff). Get the area wet, rub the hand cleaner into the fabric, rinse & suck (use a shop vac). Repeat this several times and it should make a difference. Take before & after pics to show us results BUT only if it works. Failure pics are no fun to look at :roll:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I used a Bissell carpet and upholstery cleaning machine on my Vibe and on my wife's Ford Contour. O.K. I used the Bissell cleaning agents. I did not have grease stains on the seats but it removed a black stain on the carpet of the Contour. Nothing else worked on that stain.

Some have removed the fabric covers of the seats and washed them in the washing machine. It's a lot of work though.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I too have used a Bissell Little Green Machine carpet shampooer with great success. I've also used Mother's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner. Unfortunately, I have never dealt with grease stains, so I can't provide any further advice than that :|. Definitely let us know if you get it removed though.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
jolt

Post by jolt »

Follow these instructions and you will get it out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Grease-an ... s-Interior

Steam from a iron will get the last spot discoloring out of the fabric; or at least as good as it can get, but that is the last step if needed. There are better steamers out there but this shows stuff that you may already have on hand. Steam is always the pro's last trick on really tough stains. If the stain does not come out after going down the list at the above site, you either live with it or die the seat fabric to hide it.