HOW TO: convert spare tire well for REAL jack

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
samsonite

HOW TO: convert spare tire well for REAL jack

Post by samsonite »

The factory jack is dangerous to use. The base on it is SO tiny it's prone to tipping over. Or, if that doesn't happen, the thinly stamped metal will probably fold in on itself. I've seen both situations happen and it's scary.

Anyways, I cut out the factory mount and fabbed up a sheet metal part which I riveted in. It's a 20 gauge sheet of steel I got at Menards. It was hard as hell to bend by hand. I might recommend getting a lighter gauge depending on how light your jack is. I'll stuff some grease rags and tools in there to keep it from moving around while driving. It's not very pretty but it works and it's strong.

vibrologist

Re: HOW TO: convert spare tire well for REAL jack

Post by vibrologist »

Darn good idea. I would use some packaging foam to keep it from moving around.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

Good idea, although I'd rather just stash it on the back seat floor board on the passenger side (for safer access on the side of the road) than pay for the materials and taking the time to hack the OEM insert. However, I almost never have back seat passengers so it's completely unused space. Stowing it in a black duffle bag (since I have dark interior) to hide it would work to prevent a meth addict smash and grab over a $20 trolley jack.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice work :D I agree with some of the "cheezy" jacks that come with new cars nowadays :o Looks more like Aluminum instead of steel. Either way ... nice!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

Looks nice.
This is way better then carrying a jack around on the floorboard. If it's in the passenger area, any kind of accident means you now have a 50# metal projectile flying through the car.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

sideshowalan wrote:Looks nice.
This is way better then carrying a jack around on the floorboard. If it's in the passenger area, any kind of accident means you now have a 50# metal projectile flying through the car.
That's quite true.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

i like this idea
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I have carpet padding in the back and just tossed the whole thingimabobber out to fit mine. Alas, the cover doesn't clear the jack entirely.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Who needs a jack? Do you even lift, bro?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

Ah. A thread from earlier this year and the images already don't work. I could imagine a thread 5+ years old, but...

Would love to figure out how to store my actual floor jack in the car without it sliding around.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

bigdoug wrote:Ah. A thread from earlier this year and the images already don't work. I could imagine a thread 5+ years old, but...

Would love to figure out how to store my actual floor jack in the car without it sliding around.
From memory, the pictures showed the passenger side of the tool liner in the spare tire well was cut out and some sheet metal was put in, big enough to fit a small, 2-ton floor jack (aka: trolley jack). Sealed up around the edges with caulking.

I'll be stowing my floor jack & stands in my hitch cargo box when I hit he road next month. I got this cheap but nice set ($36 on sale again right now, plus you earn $10 in points!) http://www.kmart.com/ac-delco-2-ton-flo ... 244419001P

I've used the jack quite a bit and it works as good as you'd expect. The stands are about the same quality as Harbor Freight stuff. They are probably the same exact product, in fact; just painted a different color.

But anyway, I could never be able to bring myself to cut up the factory tool caddy unless I had a spare one.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
Owim

Post by Owim »

BenWA wrote:
bigdoug wrote:Ah. A thread from earlier this year and the images already don't work. I could imagine a thread 5+ years old, but...

From memory, the pictures showed the passenger side of the tool liner in the spare tire well was cut out and some sheet metal was put in, big enough to fit a small, 2-ton floor jack (aka: trolley jack). Sealed up around the edges with caulking.

I'll be stowing my floor jack & stands in my hitch cargo box when I hit he road next month. I got this cheap but nice set ($36 on sale again right now, plus you earn $10 in points!) http://www.kmart.com/ac-delco-2-ton-flo ... 244419001P

I've used the jack quite a bit and it works as good as you'd expect. The stands are about the same quality as Harbor Freight stuff. They are probably the same exact product, in fact; just painted a different color.

But anyway, I could never be able to bring myself to cut up the factory tool caddy unless I had a spare one.
I use that same set, i dont keep the stands in the car but I too took out the stuff on the passenger side of the spare tire and that jack fits there nicely. I put a towel under it to keep it from banging up the the metal. I didn't have to break anything to take out that plastic stuff next to the tire it either was either held down by a bolt or popped out, cant remember but I could put the plastic junk back in it I needed to
2009 2.4 AWD
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I was just musing to myself how my pic, which contributed little to nothing haha, was still showing but not the actual topic pics.

@BenWa
And that's a crazy little cheap jack/jackstands combo. Don't know if I'd trust it for anything larger than the Vibe, but should work fine there and as you mentioned, far better than the stock scissor jack. Which I've had fail on me on two separate occasions (not the Vibe's, but two other one's in the past). GL on your trip, btw!
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

ImUrOBGYN wrote:And that's a crazy little cheap jack/jackstands combo. Don't know if I'd trust it for anything larger than the Vibe, but should work fine there and as you mentioned, far better than the stock scissor jack. Which I've had fail on me on two separate occasions (not the Vibe's, but two other one's in the past). GL on your trip, btw!
It's pretty good quality actually, for the price.

I bought it for the Geo Metro (the 4 door hatchback one) I had before my Vibe. I used it on the Vibe to rotate the tires once and it lifted it (one corner at a time, on pavement) without a problem. It's a typical 2 ton trolley jack meant for small cars.

I used the OEM scissor jack on a 91 Corolla a number of times and it was adequate. However I always was able to use it on a level, paved surface. I bought the HFT scissor jack for the Geo Metro, a while before I got the jack/stands combo, and it worked very well. It's a bit heftier than small car OEM scissor jacks, though. It lifted the Geo Metro without any strain at all and was very stable. But again, I used it on a level, paved surface.
2003 Vibe Base A/T
bigdoug

Post by bigdoug »

I've had an AC Delco jack for over 10 years I'd say. That's what I'm looking to hide somewhere in the cargo area (Right now it's bungied to the left wall).
deebiv

Post by deebiv »

The Harbor Freight 2 Ton Compact Trolley Jack will fit in the cargo compartment with zero mods.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-comp ... 68783.html

You can dremel off some plastic or grind the wheel "wings" on the jack, but is not necessary.

Some of the plastic ribs on the cargo lid underside will be bent, you can trim if too tight.

The key is to place the jack in upside down and confirm the lift arm is fully retracted.

The jack can be found as low as $20 with a coupon or other sales.
HF 2 Ton Compack Jack3.jpg
HF 2 Ton Compack Jack3.jpg (35.43 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

deebiv wrote:The Harbor Freight 2 Ton Compact Trolley Jack will fit in the cargo compartment with zero mods.

Thank you for sharing. The only concern is the short warranty (90 days).
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
deebiv

Post by deebiv »

petervivian wrote:
deebiv wrote:The Harbor Freight 2 Ton Compact Trolley Jack will fit in the cargo compartment with zero mods.

Thank you for sharing. The only concern is the short warranty (90 days).
It appears some of the units suffer from "infant mortality", if purchasing I would suggest to leave it under load overnight protected with jack stands to test the seals; this is what I did. Seems normal and will try to use a couple of times a year to keep it fresh.

I have a good relationship with my local HF as I am in there almost every month and they have stood behind their products for me even after the stated warranty via a full credit, YMMV.