Does this even exist or am I looking for a unicorn?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
joatmon

Re: Does this even exist or am I looking for a unicorn?

Post by joatmon »

I don't remember ever seeing anything like that as an official Pontiac accessory, but that doesn't mean that it or some aftermarket thing isn't out there.

When I had a dog, he found the hard plastic seat back/rear deck to be slippery. I had a factory cargo mat, and put some other carpet on the seat back
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Those rubber inserts sound awesome especially for those of us who bought our Vibes with no sliding locks back there. They'd fill in the tracks and provide some needed traction. I need to find a good alternative for when my dogs are back there, as well. Just haven't made the time.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

Unicorn . . . I think. In 2009 they deleted the tracks in the back and just added some non-slip strips. That might be what you've seen.
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
trb

Post by trb »

I wonder if the rubber inserts you can install on your driveway to replace the boards usually used would work on the older Vibes? I have a couple of samples somewhere that I can try, if I can find them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

trb wrote:I wonder if the rubber inserts you can install on your driveway to replace the boards usually used would work on the older Vibes? I have a couple of samples somewhere that I can try, if I can find them.
Hell, that's an idea. Let us know.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Guy in PHX wrote:In 2009 they deleted the tracks in the back and just added some non-slip strips. That might be what you've seen.
I wonder if the 2nd gen rubber strips would fit in the 1st gen tracks?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

I don't know quite what you mean by the tracks but if you are referring to the 1" wide rubber bumper strips running from back to front on the rear cargo deck, they are molded/glued into the rear plastic deck, into a molded dip, not a separate part as far as I can tell....
[I've got the whole rear cargo area out of the 2nd gen vibe right now; doing some dampening mat]

The rubber thingy's you put down in a tub to keep from slipping, those would work if first gen doesn't have similar, and you can find them cheap at walmart. They come in strips and shapes and have a tacky back to hold them down. Heck even a large rubber bath mat with the suction cups cut into strips might help, although a dog may pull/chew those up.

The 2nd gen official cargo mat is nice; nothing will slide on it with it's raised rubber edged squares
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

Two words: Horse Mat.

Tractor supply (or similar) is your friend here. Nice and thick, a bit of cushioning, decent weight so it wont move. Just trim to fit, and your good to go.

I would suggest some all plastic type velcro stuff epoxied in a few locations to help it stay in place, but if you take your time trimming it you probably wont even need the velcro.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

mktrat wrote:Two words: Horse Mat.

Tractor supply (or similar) is your friend here. Nice and thick, a bit of cushioning, decent weight so it wont move. Just trim to fit, and your good to go.

I would suggest some all plastic type velcro stuff epoxied in a few locations to help it stay in place, but if you take your time trimming it you probably wont even need the velcro.
Also in the same realm, Semi Truck mud flap, which you can find in the same places and trim. There thick, ribbed, decent weight, etc
I was suggested such when looking for mats for my old house dirt crawl space. Other mats were disintegration during flooding and such; these things are made to handle that.
mktrat

Post by mktrat »

As far as fastening it to the interior, I personally would lean towards an entirely mechanical fastener. I think most adhesives would either creep or simply fail. This is purely based on living in Michigan my whole life. As always I could be wrong.

If I were trying to put something like this in the back of my Vibe, I would probably take the seat backs off and run some carriage bolts through to at least hold the weight, then maybe some commercial velcro (all plastic) to hold down the edges? You could just bolt straight through the spare tire/storage lid.
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

Adhesives are worth a try first

But a few small flat head short self tapping like screws, wouldn't hurt