The Moto-Gate Mod (Cargo Net)

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
nerdydaddyo

The Moto-Gate Mod (Cargo Net)

Post by nerdydaddyo »

This mod is long overdue as it was promised months ago. I've been so overwhelmed in life lately that even though I've had the Moto-Gate since then, it was only this weekend that I got around to taking the pictures so I could do this properly. To start, you'll of course need the Moto-Gate (linked in my Garage post viewtopic.php?f=30&t=44222&p=504012#p504012 ), a pair of scissors, and a lighter or some source of flame.

The first step after unpacking the Moto-Gate and laying it out flat face up (so you can read the logo) is to get the scissors and cut the ends of the straps of as pictured:

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w6/n ... ycvkxz.jpg

The upper and lower straps are one continuous strap. BE CAREFUL not to pull it all the way through in either direction or you will be spending a lot of extra time re-threading it into the net. Feed the straps through each D-ring on the Vibe BEFORE the next few steps:

Reverse feed the straps into the buckles opposite of the direction they were in. This will require having the button pressed while doing so:

Burn the ends of the straps using you flame source to prevent fraying:

Interlock the S Hooks:

Pull each side of the slack on the upper and lower straps TIGHT. This net system will stay tight once completed. It will not be simple to remove nor will it "bag out".

The Moto-Gate is very heavy duty. It will not rip or tear as easily as the OEM cargo net and can actually bear considerably more weight and force. Plus it also makes your Vibe look tougher!!!
Me, my Vibe, and the open road...
ImUrOBGYN

Re: The Moto-Gate Mod (Cargo Net)

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Cool. Did you remove the hatch? ;)

A more serious question: What was the purpose? For hauling with the hatch open? It it still easy to move to the other buckles? If so, I can see where it would be useful keeping some things against the back seat or stuck in a corner.

I've never had to haul with the hatch open but for regular item security and whathaveyou, I use 4 bungee cords. One long for the top rear buckles along the back seat, another long one for the buckles near the hatch at the bottom, and two smaller ones for the two high hooks along each side. I don't even like grocery shopping in any other car I have it's just so damn perfectly setup for it now.

The stock cargo cover fits just fine still but shares its buckles with a couple bungees.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

The purpose is to keep things from falling out when the hatch is opened. A lot of the time I will just open the lift glass and set stuff in the back without paying attention to how it will fare once the entire hatch is opened. Bags of groceries fall over, items roll around, etc. The second idea was when trying to haul heavy objects that shift so they don't slam into the hatch and damage it.
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

That makes sense. Pretty cool.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
nerdydaddyo

Post by nerdydaddyo »

Over a year later, Vibe is still running like new. This net has saved us some serious grocery drops.