Interior Paint Job Hiccup

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
deepinsunshine

Interior Paint Job Hiccup

Post by deepinsunshine »

I'm in the process of painting my plastic interior panels. I removed all the pieces, washed them with Dawn, wet sanded them, then washed them again. Everything was going smoothly until I got to the next step.

I used Dupli-color Spray-prep Grease and Wax Remover. I applied as directed (spray on and immediately wipe off with a tack cloth) and it worked beautifully on everything except the component that surrounds the radio and the drivers side left component (with air-vent). On these two parts the spray seemed to be removing an incredibly gooey layer from surface and so I continued to wipe it down. As it dried it seemed to crackle the surface.

I tried using goo-off on the smaller piece and was able to then follow up with some wet sanding to recover. Aside from a few minor marks on the bottom it looks better but it took FOREVER. The other one is just too large a surface though.

Any ideas on how or why this is happening and what I might do to fix it?

I actually solved the problem myself simply by wet sanding the plastic with goo off. It was tedious but I pushed through it and was able to get it cleaned up. Now everything is coated with a layer of adhesion spray then primer. I figured I would post this anyways for anyone with the same problem.
2004 Pontiac Vibe Base w/ Manual Transmission