uncomfortable driver seat?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
vibrologist

uncomfortable driver seat?

Post by vibrologist »

I am posing this as a question because everyone is different. I thought I share this so readers might experiment in similar fashion or may comment how they dealt with an uncomfortable situation.

At first I found the seat in my 05 Vibe to be rather uncomfortable. It made me slouch and that caused pain in the lumbar section. Doing a little research I found this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hU4rxRpyPZQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Honestly, I hate the idea of putting pillows, foam pieces, cloth and such junk around me in the car. But I did learn something form this video.
1. I raised the seat height significantly. This had the same effect as putting a foam wedge on the seat.
2. I reclined the seat back a little. One and two together created a little bit of lumbar support. In fact it is enough that I can imagine to drive 1 hour or so. I still need a little bit more lumbar support.
3. I moved the seat a little bit forward. This compensated for the added amount of recline.

However, I still have to move my shoulders off the seat back when the hands are on top of the steering wheel. If I move the seat forward it will make my leg room too tight. At this point I wish for a telescoping steering wheel or adjustable pedals.

Here is the question: did you find a position that is comfortable for many hours of driving?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
KITT222

Re: uncomfortable driver seat?

Post by KITT222 »

I adjusted my seat according to an SCCA course I took. Close enough I can press my foot to the floorboard and still have some go, and so when I put my foot on the dead-pedal it braces me into the seat. Hands at 9 and 3, and my elbows close to a 90-degree angle as possible, and back so my hips make close to a 90-degree angle. It's comfy enough, and adjusted so that I, as a six-foot person, still have a click or two in the seat track before I can't go farther back. I noticed that I only ever get uncomfortable if I want to be at my destination. If I'm enjoying the drive I'll be more comfortable.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

My 2009 base is comfortable. It may be different than your 2005. I have driven 17 hours while only stopping for food and fuel. I have also slept in the driver's seat for several nights while on the road.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

It's not a comfortable seat, and IMO the steering wheel is too far away even when telescoped out all the way. I've gotten more or less used to it, but I miss the more relaxed position and up-front wheel of my Grand Am.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

The 2009 Vibe GT seats are very comfortable! A trip to Florida & back (2500 miles in 5days) and it felt like I was just driving around the block. No sore back, no stiffness, no pains, etc. It could be that I'm a smaller person (5' 7", 160 lbs) but no complaints at all. Fortunately for all of us humans, we're not all designed & sized the same :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thank you all for your responses.

It seems the '09 and later model has improved ergonomics.

At this point I am coming real close to KITT222's SCCA adjustment. The seat height is all the way up and the back is about 90 degrees in reference of the seat surface. It is quite comfortable now, just short of perfect (so far with short distances only). I will probably put a piece of foam in the seat back for additional lumbar support. Or I just have to get used to it, like kumquat did.

BTW I am 5'8", 165lbs with relatively short legs, I am 59 years of age and I had a thrown out lumbar disk about 20 years ago. This has been a weak spot ever since.

Yes, "Vive la difference!" even if it makes it impossible to design a seat that fits everyone.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Years ago when my back was bothering me, I bought an inflatable pillow from my Chiropractor. It seemed to do the trick! At 5'6", I also have trouble reaching the steering wheel on my 05 base.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

I'm tall and lanky. No issues getting to the wheel...
Derf

Post by Derf »

First driving the 2005 Vibe 6'4" 190, had no issues with the seat, few adjustments first week and found the sweet spot. Issue for longs trips were other things, one being the height of the center console, when I tried to put my arm on top, I would slouch. Over long trips this sometimes became uncomfortable. So I raised the lid on the center console, now when I place my arm on top, I still maintain good posture increasing comfort. The issue may not be entirely the seat, but as other have suggested, the seats position in relation to other items in the car.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )