Interior replacement questions

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
FinkVibe

Interior replacement questions

Post by FinkVibe »

So I have a few questions about replacing some interior parts in my car. I just picked up my 03 Vibe GT about a week ago and obviously there is a little wear on the interior (but I love it). Where would I go to replace the "leather" around the shift knob? How would you describe that and does anyone have any suggestions on where/what to buy?

Also, I am looking at getting a new shift knob as well but I am also thinking about making my own. That being said, if I do make my own, where would I go about getting the center piece that would be drilled into the knob that would then screw into the shifter? The last question I have is on some interior trim pieces. Some are worn, mainly the chrome part on the handle of the door by the window buttons. How would I go about getting that off? As well as the other grey/silver pieces on the dash. I am thinking about painting it matte black and don't know where to even start with taking it off.

Thank you for the help!
KITT222

Re: Interior replacement questions

Post by KITT222 »

The leather around the shift knob is called the shift boot. I think there is at least one place that does aftermarket ones, but I am not sure.

To get your own custom piece to screw onto the shift lever, my guess would be that you could drill out then tap the hole with threads of the proper size. Otherwise, maybe re-use that bit on the stock shift knob?
The chrome bit on the door panels is plastic-welded to the door, so it will not be easy to get off and on. If you can get some vinyl it could be easy to trim it to the right size. Or mask around it properly (after removing the door panel from the car to protect the rest of the car from overspray) and you can repaint it.

The rest of the interior panels are easy. You may want to refrain from painting the HVAC area, as you'd lose the icons. Here is a how-to (without pictures) on taking apart the dash all the way to getting the cowl around where the dash meets the floor off.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4706&p=478252&hili ... sh#p478252" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for the trim with vent on the left side of the wheel, it just pulls off.

If you wanted to there are vinyl kits for the Vibe dash to change the color of them. If interested, here's a link.

http://www.importequipment.com/OnlineSt ... 37e1132754" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any more questions feel free to ask.

EDIT: Found this after posting! How to with pics.

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Vibe0305install.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And shift boots, too:

http://www.redlinegoods.com/Vibe0305shiftboot.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FinkVibe

Post by FinkVibe »

Fantastic, thank you so much for the help. I think I will be trying this out during my spring break. I'm sure I will have more questions as I start to plan it out in the coming days. Thank you again!
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

I'm seling my Vibe GT shift knob in case you're interested.

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42908
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
FinkVibe

Post by FinkVibe »

I just saw that, I am debating making my own shift knob out of some nice wood. Just need to find the time to start it. But I will keep yours in mind, thank you.
hoooboy

Post by hoooboy »

TWM or MWR Short Shifter with TWM or Moddiction Anvil Stainless Steel Weighted Shift Knob FTMFW!!!