Blank Panels/Covers Next to Hatch Button?

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
LeaveMyHatOn

Blank Panels/Covers Next to Hatch Button?

Post by LeaveMyHatOn »

Does anybody know what these are called? I plan on using these spaces for LED mod switches, but I'd like to have extra before I go hacking them up. Is anyone aware of what they call them, or even a part number?

EDIT: If the description ins't clear enough, I'm referring to the panel in the second slot shown below.

joatmon

Re: Blank Panels/Covers Next to Hatch Button?

Post by joatmon »

ten years ago ragingfish posted at viewtopic.php?t=4692&p=48370#p48370" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ragingfish wrote:UPDATE Got the part in today! Turns out it's the right one! So, if you're looking for extra blank plates for the left of the steering wheel, or to replace the little coin slots under the e-brake, the part you need is:88970565 COVER $2.75
seems like a lot, and the price has probably gone up since then. That's the GM part number, maybe they are cheaper from Toyota. Probably cheaper (or free) if you can find a wrecked Vibe at a junkyard
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Hmm, that looks familiar. ;)

Toyota has been using the same blank panels for a very, very long time in many different models. It should be easy to find one in a junkyard for sure. I had ordered some extra blanks at one point, too bad it was 2005-ish so I don't recall much about where I got them or how much they were.

In my pic there, I installed a genuine Toyota fog light switch for controlling under-dash LED's. If you just need a switch, you could always get one of those and save the panel for if/when you want to revert to stock. I think the part number is 00550-35976 according to the googles. Certainly much more expensive than just getting a generic switch and installing it into the blank though...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Even though I don't think I'll be going back from my setup, I have a few extra panels. Always keep them in the little cubby below where they should be. And last time or two I went to a junkyard and grabbed some from a Vibe or Matrix, the guy said to just put them in my pocket.

My setup:

Thank goodness I don't have more open panels, or I'd be tempted to add more switches and lights! :twisted:
LeaveMyHatOn

Post by LeaveMyHatOn »

ColonelPanic wrote:Hmm, that looks familiar. ;)

Toyota has been using the same blank panels for a very, very long time in many different models. It should be easy to find one in a junkyard for sure. I had ordered some extra blanks at one point, too bad it was 2005-ish so I don't recall much about where I got them or how much they were.

In my pic there, I installed a genuine Toyota fog light switch for controlling under-dash LED's. If you just need a switch, you could always get one of those and save the panel for if/when you want to revert to stock. I think the part number is 00550-35976 according to the googles. Certainly much more expensive than just getting a generic switch and installing it into the blank though...
I think a trip to Pull-A-Part is in order, especially with the ever-growing shopping list I have! I figured if I could even find a Vibe/Matrix that it would be stripped of anything usable by other scavengers, luckily the car scene is mostly 240's and Civic's. I feel almost like the Lone Vibe Ranger out here. Nonetheless, thank you for the insight, as well as the picture!
KITT222 wrote:Thank goodness I don't have more open panels, or I'd be tempted to add more switches and lights!
I'm a sucker for switches, buttons and knobs. After installing an aftermarket Single DIN HU, I've considered doing away with the little storage compartment underneath the unit and MacGyver-ing a board for more switches. Speaking of lights and switches, alongside your username, how have you not added a mock Anamorphic Equalizer to your Vibe!?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

KITT222 wrote:Thank goodness I don't have more open panels, or I'd be tempted to add more switches and lights! :twisted:
Should totally add more inside the little drawer beneath them. :P
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
LeaveMyHatOn

Post by LeaveMyHatOn »

lannvouivre wrote:
KITT222 wrote:Thank goodness I don't have more open panels, or I'd be tempted to add more switches and lights! :twisted:
Should totally add more inside the little drawer beneath them. :P
Speaking of that compartment, do you guys know of any way to make the door hold closed better? On mine (the flip-open style, without release button) whatever kind of catch they use is weak, and the door practically wants to pop open on its own.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

LeaveMyHatOn wrote:Speaking of that compartment, do you guys know of any way to make the door hold closed better? On mine (the flip-open style, without release button) whatever kind of catch they use is weak, and the door practically wants to pop open on its own.
I have to admit that mine pops open often going over speedbumps. The only thing I can personally suggest is only storing light plastic things, like clips and such, in it. I believe someone had a fix for it on the forums somewhere, but it may have been for 2nd-gen vehicles.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
LeaveMyHatOn

Post by LeaveMyHatOn »

lannvouivre wrote:I have to admit that mine pops open often going over speedbumps. The only thing I can personally suggest is only storing light plastic things, like clips and such, in it. I believe someone had a fix for it on the forums somewhere, but it may have been for 2nd-gen vehicles.
I have the same problem. I'll probably just epoxy a couple magnet strips in and see if that'll take care of it.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

LeaveMyHatOn wrote: Speaking of that compartment, do you guys know of any way to make the door hold closed better? On mine (the flip-open style, without release button) whatever kind of catch they use is weak, and the door practically wants to pop open on its own.
Remove the cubby, and you'll find a little metal tab in the top of the hole. Bend it towards the driver, and it holds the cubby closed a LOT better.

I don't have the back-and-forth lights because A) there's no good place to make it fit and B) I need a Trans Am to do that. I don't think a Vibe can jump without hurting itself.

I may need to add another switch, soon, for another project I have going...