how do you shorten 2009 auto shifter

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
jmkcc

how do you shorten 2009 auto shifter

Post by jmkcc »

I am trying to shorten the shifter for 2009 with automatic, gated shifter. I sawed off about an inch, but I'd like to go shorter. I started to thread 8mm * 1.25 with a die, but as soon as it hit the end of the production threads, the whole rod started to turn. I figured I could just unscrew the whole rod and bring it in to place on a vice, but while it turns, it does not move in or out. Anyone know how the shifter is attached? I did not want to go ripping everything apart without having an idea of what is involved. It's a royal pain, but I can not use the cupholders as I always hit the shift knob. Even when reaching for the radio, I knock it our of gear.
beemerphile1

Re: how do you shorten 2009 auto shifter

Post by beemerphile1 »

I wish I had an answer but I don't.

That shifter sticking up in the way has always been an annoyance for me also. I really don't understand why modern automatics even have a shifter. Back in the sixties some cars had push button electric shift, you would think they had perfected it by now. That lever and the console beneath it take up a lot of real estate unnecessarily.

Let us know the solution when you figure it out, please.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

beemerphile1 wrote: That shifter sticking up in the way has always been an annoyance for me also. I really don't understand why modern automatics even have a shifter. Back in the sixties some cars had push button electric shift, you would think they had perfected it by now.
Dodge has been workin' on it...

If shifting will be electronically controlled anyway, bring it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-31347_7-10011873-8.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So has Lincoln.