Driver's power window panel & door stop

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
wintersilke

Driver's power window panel & door stop

Post by wintersilke »

I am trying to track down the parts to repair my wife's car.

1) The small panel on the driver's door that the levers for the power window control box screws too has broken.

2) The plastic stop that prevents the door from opening all the way and being stopped by the door hinges has broken (snapped).

Does anyone know what the names of those parts are so I can track them down and order them? Neither look to be difficult to fix.
trb

Re: Driver's power window panel & door stop

Post by trb »

How has the power window piece broken? There are a few threads on here regarding DIY fixes to repair the door panel piece. Might look into them and save some money first,

Here is one:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

#2 is called the door check strap.
wintersilke

Post by wintersilke »

trb wrote:How has the power window piece broken? There are a few threads on here regarding DIY fixes to repair the door panel piece. Might look into them and save some money first,

Here is one:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That is a brilliant fix but not where my interior panel broke.

The threaded piece of plastic that the switch is screwed onto broke. The panel fits in the compartment but the switch inside the door is loose because only the back two screws are attached. The front one is not.

I tried a specialty glue that melts plastic and when dried, holds everything together but that didn't work. I then tried scarring the threaded tube (to increase the gripping surface) and using liquid epoxy to glue it back to the panel. That worked for a month before it broke loose again which leads me to just replacing it now....
trb

Post by trb »

Yes, might be time to replace it. I looked online at the GM parts sources and it is a trim plate w/power windows. http://www.gmpartsdirect.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has it for $45 under their Body hardware/ Front Doors/Interior Trim section. You can find a used one for less on ebay, but I would probably think a new one would last longer and look better.

I also looked on http://www.toyotapartsexpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and their price is a lot cheaper, like $17. I'm pretty sure it is the same part, but I don't know for sure since they have a "one touch" option and parts without it, but for the price difference, it would be worth checking into it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
wintersilke

Post by wintersilke »

After calling http://www.toyotapartsexpress.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, I found out the part "Trim plate w/power window, w/one touch" is a 6 hole panel that has the one touch, which is where you push the driver's side window lever down all the way and let go and the window descends all the way.

You can buy the panel with and without that ability. My wife's Vibe has the one-touch and I am going to go to a local Toyota dealership since they can pull up the full schematic and make sure it fits before I order it.

I'll try to remember to post here the final solution, though tbh, I might forget.
wintersilke

Post by wintersilke »

I just saw viewtopic.php?t=19703" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and that referenced the likely reason why the power window is knocking a bit and the check strap broke. The vehicle has 121K miles on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the GM dealership to fix it despite being out of warranty since it was a defective design?
trb

Post by trb »

I just did a spot check of about 6 or 7 Matrix and Vibe ads on cars.com, and from what I saw, there was no difference in the panels. They were all 6 hole panels, and the drivers window had "Auto" printed on the switch. I thought maybe the Matrix panels had an extra button or maybe had "Express down" printed on the plastic panel or something. But it may be that Toyota had different switches (and mounting) under the panel for windows without the one touch that was offered as basic power windows, with the one touch as an upgrade?

Hope you can get a replacement for $20 or so. That would be a good deal.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
WestSideVibe

Post by WestSideVibe »

I found (what I think is the) the Toyota part on Amazon. There's a review for a Vibe owner that says it fits. I'll find out. And the part is discontinued from GM now.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-74 ... B00FSDFKAO