How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (very pic heavy)

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
A Psycho Martyr

How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (very pic heavy)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Ok, so in my search to find out how to remove all this junk, I couldn't find anything with pictures so here it is. (please keep in mind that I do not have a stock amp under the passenger seat and please disregard my nasty a$$ carpet )What you'll needAbout 2-3hrs of free time Ratchet12mm Socket14mm Socket10mm SocketFlat-Head ScrewdriverFirst thing you need to do is lay your seats down and remove this piece. Just unlock it and lift it out. Then you'll notice four square caps. These need to be removed to get to the nuts holding your seats in.Pry on them from the outside with a flat-head screwdriver and they'll pop up just fine.This will be a 12mm nut. Once removed, there will be two more holding the bottom half of the seat in around front. I had removed these a while back, so I don't have pics of them...sorry.Now the section behind your driver seat is ready to pull out. The section behind the passenger seat, however is not. First you must remove this 14mm nut attaching the seatbelt to the seat in order for it to come out.I decided to leave the other buckle in the car so that i wouldn't misplace the nut.Now your rear seats are out and you may do with them as you please I highly recommend thaht you put the nuts back in their holes and pop the plastic covers back on to prevent you from losing them!!!Now for the front seats. You have four 14mm nuts holding each one in. Two in front...and two in back. The two in the back are covered by plastic pieces that are fairly easy to remove.Now before you pull the passenger seat out, you must unplug the seatbelt sensor. Just tilt the seat up like so...You have to unplug it AND unclip it from the nottom of the seatNow your passenger seat is ready to be pulled out For the driver seat (as previoiusly mentioned) you have the two in front, adn two in back. and the back has the plastic covers you gotta take off. Now before you try to yank the seat out, you have to unplug the seatbelt sensor on this side as well. Tilt the seat back and look under the froont to see the plug.Now you pull your seat and Vibe is longer driveable! Now we're gonna get into removing the carpetFirst look in the back floorboard. You'll see four plastic caps. You need to pull all these out.Then this piece of trim needs to be popped out.The next step is to remove where the front seatbelts are bolted to the frame. This is one 14mm nut per side.After you get the carpet pulled out from behind it, be sure to put the seatbelt back on.Now we move up to the front... You need to remove this piece of trim on both sides.Here's one of these white clips closed, and then opened. You have to open it to get the carpet over it.Then under the drivers' seat, you need to remove this. It has two 12mm nuts holding it in. Take those out and unplug it and this comes right out.Now...the center console has to come out too. Seems hard, but it's only held on by four 10mm nuts. two in front and two inside the console towards the back.Front:Back:Then you need to tilt it up to see under it from the back, so you can unplug the power cord for the power outlet inside the console.Now if you'll turn it 90 degress (sideways) it will kinda slide over the e-brake handleThen you need to remove this piece of trim by loosening the 10mm plastic screw and pulling the piece straight out.Now the footrest thingy needs to come out. I'm not sure of how to properly remove this one. I pulled and pulled until it gave adn ended up breaking one mount for it, but here's what they look like so maybe you can figure out a better way to remove it.Then you have one kinda hidden by the dash here. It's not really long like the clips that held the back down, it's a different kind of clipThen over to the passenger floorboard. Remove another 10mm plastic screw and pull strfaight out on this piece of trimThen up in the top center of the passenger floorboard is anothe round clip/ his one is threaded ALL the way down and can be easitly removed with a flathead screwdriver. Here's a couple close shots of the clipThen almost hidden by the dash again is another round clip. This one is a pain like the ones that held the back in areNow you're ready to start pulling the carpet out. I got in the back of the car and lifted up, then pulled backwards. I noticed it was up under the console beneath the shifter pretty tight, but no need to mess it just to pull the carpet out.I checked and saw that it had come this far, so I kept pulling and it came out from under it just fine.Now you're all done. Clean your driveway before the wife comes home and throws a fit Painted it all flat black after cleaning itIf you have any question or comments, please feel free to askUPDATE: Here are pics of the bottom of the carpet and a before/after of how much better it looks black
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Excellent, thank you. Answered many questions I had. Great show!
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
bassplayaz06

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

when i was searching on where to hide my amp, i pulled out all the seats. interesting experience. now you need to put the drivers seat back in, and go for a ride since you've taken out a couple hundred pounds. see how fast it is now.
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
kostby

Post by kostby »

Great how-to, Brandon! I appreciate all the pics. Also reminds me why I usually trade cars before I get to the point of disassembling mine this much.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
ParknVibe

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by ParknVibe »

Great set of how to pictures. Would like to see a picture of the back side of the carpet to see how much padding is on it.Now you can remove the ten pounds of leaves and dirt that you threw in there! Then take the carpet to the cleaner's. It looks like the car was converted into a vacuum cleaner and you suck the leaves dirt into it.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (Ivibe)

Quote, originally posted by Ivibe »Great set of how to pictures. Would to see a picture of the back side of the carpet to see how much padding is on it.Now you can remove the ten pounds of leaves and dirt that you threw in there! Then take the carpet to the cleaner's. It looks like the car was converted into a vacuum cleaner and you suck the leaves dirt into it.I'm about to go take a picture of the bottom of the carpet for ya. I'll place it under th picture of the top of it. Might as well document this thang right And yeah, waaaaayyyyy too much dirt in this car, huh? I was actually debating not doin the how-to after going back thru the pics....seriously. Nut oh, well, it's time for that spring detailing, so it's all good.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Nice write up.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Besides that it needs a good cleaning, why are you taking the interior apart? For a new amp/speaker system? Look through your rear tire well under the rear hatch door directly behind the bumper frame. Can you see daylight through it? In my 2009 Vibe I can see the ground from the inside at that location. Maybe you can shine a flashlight through it to prove it. I believe there is a wide thin gap behind the bumper.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (Ivibe)

I'm taking it out do dye it black so that it will match the seats when they get re-upholstered.i'd like to do some sound deadening, but I need to find a FREE way to it.lol
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Well, if you want to do it for free, there's some perfectly good insulation in your house walls...
Water boy

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (KITT222)

Post by Water boy »

Most people just use a vacuum to clean the carpet.Yea I know, you said to dye the carpet.WOW ... only one pic with coins. I thought I'd see more when seeing all of the other stuff in the car.OK, seriously, great pics and write up.Check my thread for deadening stuff. http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43728
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
bassplayaz06

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (KITT222)

Post by bassplayaz06 »

i hear road kill fur works pretty good... lol jk
2003 Vibe GT, 1.8L, 6 speed Manual Lava Red 2 tone18" sport edition rimsCosmo CAIMy Garage http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=42483
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (bassplayaz06)

Quote, originally posted by bassplayaz06 »i hear road kill fur works pretty good... lol jklol just HOW far south do think I live?
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

I want to thank you for the extra pictures of the back side of the carpet. The padding that the manufacturer places on the back of the carpets is what I'm would to use behind all the plastic panels. If you look at your existing floor picture #CIMG4359, it looks to me that manufacturer pasted on a Dynamat type clear plastic sheets to the floor's sheetmetal. Is that what it is and functions as?I also noted that you painted the floor pan's with.. what? and why?Did you paint the dash surface black as well? (it just looks like it was)
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (Ivibe)

You're welcome. ANd yeah that's like a factory dynamat. Also, I just used flat black on the floor pan. Serves no purpose other than wasting time. I was bored. And the only thing I've done to the dash is the white stuff.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »You're welcome. ANd yeah that's like a factory dynamat. Also, I just used flat black on the floor pan. Serves no purpose other than wasting time. I was bored. And the only thing I've done to the dash is the white stuff. Well if only Dynamat looked and felt like what is on your floor, then I wouldn't mind adding that to the other parts of the body. If that matting has been added to my 2009 model as with your model, I see no point in using Dynamat. I read some horror storys about owners who install the cheaper roofing sealant rolls from the H Depot that the goo is melting and stinking up the car... and, they are trying to remove the goo because of the odor and for another reason, it doesn't really dampen the vibrations and road noise that much.
Water boy

Re: (Ivibe)

Post by Water boy »

Quote, originally posted by Ivibe »... I read some horror storys about owners who install the cheaper roofing sealant rolls from the H Depot that the goo is melting and stinking up the car... and, they are trying to remove the goo because of the odor and for another reason, it doesn't really dampen the vibrations and road noise that much.That is the stuff I used. I will just have to wait-n-see. But since I'm not where there is 90*+ summer days I might get by. As for it not working, something is because it is waaaaaaay quieter.
47,891 Added new horns
70,395 Battery
ParknVibe

Re: (Water boy)

Post by ParknVibe »

Check out the following site about using roofing type self-stick flashing that the owners stuck in their cars and how sorry they were in doing it.http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/
ParknVibe

Re: (Water boy)

Post by ParknVibe »

Check out the following site about using roofing type self-stick flashing that the owners stuck in their cars and how sorry they were in doing it.http://www.mobilesoundscience.com/Go to the Forum: Sound Deadening Science Then start reading "Why Not Asphalt?" for starters.
imanjuju

Post by imanjuju »

I am new here. Nice pics.There is an annoying on and off rattle coming from my driver side seat belt center pillar/garnish area. Any suggestions on how to remove these trim pieces (upper and lower) without doing any damage? From your pics. look like you didn't need to remove yours.Thank you.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

the bottom piece is real easy 1. remove the cover over the seatbelt nut at the base of the panel (pull the top out and push down) then un bolt the seat belt.2. pull out the weather stripping on the front and rear doors3. unclip the top of the bottom panel from the lower side of the top panel, they just pill apart.4. torwrd the bottom of the lower b-pillar there is a fender clip on the front corner and one at the rear corner, they just unsnap straight out.5. repeat the process to put it back together.I cant remember how the top piece comes out.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Quote »Quote, originally posted by Ivibe »... I read some horror storys about owners who install the cheaper roofing sealant rolls from the H Depot that the goo is melting and stinking up the car... and, they are trying to remove the goo because of the odor and for another reason, it doesn't really dampen the vibrations and road noise that much.****************************************************************That is the stuff I used. I will just have to wait-n-see. But since I'm not where there is 90*+ summer days I might get by. As for it not working, something is because it is waaaaaaay quieter.Update.No issues after 95*+ weeks.
47,891 Added new horns
70,395 Battery
A Psycho Martyr

nuther bumpi'm just searchin for anything useful for the bunches of new ppl and entertaining myself...i'm bored
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

Hey brandon good writeup. You've got some good info around this site. What did you end up using for the dye? The fabric spray paint like stuff? I think this winter im going to do this as well as the seats to give me something to do. Floor mats too.
silverbullet

Post by silverbullet »

That's what I was thinking of, thanks.
BillCrittenden

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (very pic

Post by BillCrittenden »

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for such an awesome guide here! I took my seats out after 170K miles to throw the covers in the wash and get rid of the moldy old carpet. I couldn't have done it without breaking stuff if it weren't for this. Thank you.

My car is an '03 AWD with the Moon & Tunes package, and I had what looked like from the label to be a sensor for the air bag under my driver seat. I didn't want to unplug it for fear of setting off the airbags, so I cut a hole in the carpet to pass the component through.
cythraul

Re: How To: Remove seats and carpet from 2003 base (very pic heavy)

Post by cythraul »

Hey awesome guide, I'll be removing my mat on my 2007 to clean it and inspect the floor. I bet there's an inch of rust on the drive side. :(

I was curious, how did you clean your mat exactly? Last time I cleaned my liners, I just pressure-washed them until I saw clean water.

Cheers!
cyth
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
A Psycho Martyr

I did this again recently on my new (to me) 04 GT and I used warm soapy water,
soft-ish bristles brush attached to a broom handle for ergonomics :lol:
and a pressure washer making sure I didn't get so close as to cut through the carpet.

After cleanup, a couple days in the sun, then I dyed it black before re-installation.
Makes a drastic change and looks completely new.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thank you, Psycho Martyr! I can't believe I missed putting this thread into the "New Great How To Index". That's fixed now! I am so grateful you posted the pictures on this site rather than using web hosting sites.

A hint for carpet cleaning: dish drops and a floor brush made the pile of my floor mats soft as new if not softer. Carpet cleaner won't do that.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476