Center console removal/handbrake adjustment (2009)

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
alex_nrv

Center console removal/handbrake adjustment (2009)

Post by alex_nrv »

Hello!I'm a new Vibe 2009 owner and I wanted some help with the center console/armrest assembly.I just got the vehicule last week and everything is going fine with the car but something is bothering me with the handbrake...The handbrake is working fine, the tension is great, but when I release the handbrake and it sits down, it's kind of loose... I can wiggle it with my fingers. I suspect the nuts under there are loose/not tighten enough.So, I tried to remove the center console by removing the 2x 10mm bolts from inside the storage compartment. It did the trick for the back end of the console, but the front end won't un-snap and I don't want to break anything.Does anyone know the trick to access the handbrake assembly under the center console so I can adjust the nuts?Thanks a loooooot for any help you may provide !
blindman10

Post by blindman10 »

I'm not sure if you searched and found your answer yet...but there are two more 10mm bolts at the front of the console as well (in the front-most compartment). With all 4 bolts removed the console lifts up very easily and you will have further access to the handbrake.
moonstonemike

Post by moonstonemike »

You may be disappointed when you do get the console off. I had the same problem on one car so I figured its just loose, well the bolts holding it down were tight, but it was actually a little loose where the ebrake gets riveted together , so instead of messing with the rivets I just decided to leave it.
alex_nrv

Re: (blindman10)

Post by alex_nrv »

Thanks for the hint! I will remove all the rubber liners and see if I missed bolts! This could be what I was missing in order to get the console off.I haven't found any clues on the internet so that's why I asked here. Glad I had a helpful reply! Thanks again.
alex_nrv

Re: (moonstonemike)

Post by alex_nrv »

So, if I understand what you are saying, I probably will be disapointed that I cannot fix the ebrake being loose becaue it was built like so?The car's almost new so I originally doubted the adjustment bolts for the ebrake were the problem, but I wanted to see under there for myself.Anyways, thanks for the heads up and I won't be as disapointed if I cannot do anything under there!Thanks!
dayday

Post by dayday »

You should be able to access most everything with the hand brake by unsnapping the cupholder section that covers it. Is there something more to it that your trying to get to?
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
moonstonemike

Post by moonstonemike »

Just noticed its a 09 the one car that the rivets were loose was an 03 so I'm not sure if the design changed but I also dont think that the rivets would loosen so soon. Good Luck
alex_nrv

Re: (dayday)

Post by alex_nrv »

Unsnapping the cup holder over the hand brake? You mean I don't have to unscrew the whole center console (between the two front seats) to access the nuts and mechanics of the hand brake?All I want is to see if I can tighten something so that the hand brake handle won't be loose when it's all the way down. I want the handle to be under tension when it's all the way down, like all vehicule I drove in my life. My friend told me that it's the same thing with his Vibe... it's loose.It's annoying to park and then reach for the hand brake and fell that it's loose when it's not on. But just so you know, when the cable start pulling, the handle is perfectly tight, no more loose.
dayday

Post by dayday »

Yes, the whole cup holder section that has the hand brake boot unsnaps from the rest of the console. You can feel the separation along the sides of the console near the top edge.
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
alex_nrv

Re: (dayday)

Post by alex_nrv »

Welllll, thanks, I'll have a look at it on my lunch! I'll get back and post what I've found.
alex_nrv

Re: (alex_nrv)

Post by alex_nrv »

Sooooo. I didn't had time on my lunch yesterday to check out the removable panel, but I did when I got back home. THANKS DAYDAY! This was obviously too easy so I missed that I could simply unsnap this panel that easily! The leather boot around the hand brake was easily removable as well... all I had to do was to loosen the top (locking) nut and adjust the tension I wanted with the second bolt and now all the loose I had in the hand brake while resting down is now gone, I now have a tight hand brake when sitting down.Thanks everyone for your input! Verrry appreciated!
dayday

Re: (alex_nrv)

Post by dayday »

Good, I may have to look into tightening mine up some. It feels a bit loose and I use it quite a bit since I have a stick.
'09 Vibe 2.4L 5sp
wonderdog

Re: Center console removal/handbrake adjustment (2009)

Post by wonderdog »

DO NOT FOLLOW THE POST THAT SAYS THE CONSOLE PULLS RIGHT OUT AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS THEY ARE WRONG!!! :(
Last edited by wonderdog on Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wonderdog

Re: Center console removal/handbrake adjustment (2009)

Post by wonderdog »

BLINDMAN is wrong or blind...
2009 vibe center console has two (2) 10mm nuts in deep-well under velvet liner. It also has two (2) Phillips screws located behind lighter/power plug. To get at brake you may not need to remove the entire console but it will give you more room. To remove console you will have to pop off the cupholder/tray pieces. These can be quite tight and I found it easier if you loosen the 10mm bolts first, the extra wiggle moves the trays out of square and they pop right off. To continue on and remove console you will also need to pop the lighter/power assembly off, which is quite easy with the cupholders out. Under this you will find the screws and the console slides out. When removing the cupholders you will need to walk up the hand brake cover, just work it slowly and it will come right up. DO NOT FOLLOW THE POST THAT SAYS THE CONSOLE PULLS RIGHT OUT AFTER REMOVING THE BOLTS THEY ARE WRONG!!! :evil: