Painting headliner & side panels help??

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Ls1jorge

Painting headliner & side panels help??

Post by Ls1jorge »

I'm in the process of painting my headliner & interior gray panels on my 05 Vibe my headliner has stains from pervious owner & since I'm always driving I didn't relize till I sat in the backseat it was my 1st time in the back. What can I use to complete this project I want the headliner black & the gray plastic panels black to, has anybody done this before please somebody help me out thanksGeorge
05 Vibe-Pioneer indash touch, Remote Start Alarm, TSW 18 inch.
99 Camaro z28- Cammed/Stalled/Full Bolt Ons
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Painting headliner & side panels help?? (Ls1jorge)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

I would recommend for the headliner that you use Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric dye. It'd also be great for the plastic too.Get it at auto Zone . I planned on taking my headliner out and covering it in white suede, so I may be learning something from this thread as well, hopefully Anybody know how to get these things out?!
Ls1jorge

Re: Painting headliner & side panels help?? (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Ls1jorge »

Thanks man how many cans should I buy?& far as the top panels to take off, there clips just pull off & thats it, to remove the headliner it's best if you fold the backseats down & start taking it off from there so you will have enough room
A Psycho Martyr

I would expect to use at least 2 cans and part of another. So 3 to be safe. I recently read a great review on it tho, that said how awesome it was, blah, blah, blah.....and it said that if the parts, paint, or outside temp isn't between 70-90 degrees, the finish would come out weird when it dries. So watch out for that.Sounds easy enough to remove and all that. I wish ya luck It'll be a while before I pull mine out. I got other plans that come first
Ls1jorge

Re: Painting headliner & side panels help?? (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Ls1jorge »

Yea I'm jus worried about the panals pealing & after that I want my headlight housing black & smoke tails
A Psycho Martyr

headlight housing? so you'll be taking them apart? or do you just mean the outside?And i don't think you'll have a problem with peeling at all. I've been reading on about 6 different car forums about peoples results for about an hour now. Seems like the ones who know what they're talking about and took time to clean properly, waited the correct time between coats, and allowed proper dry time had outstanding results. Some of which said it held up 3 or even 5 yrs.Basically....the final result is depends more on preparation than application
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

This is kind of off topic.. but kind of not.. what IS the point of the many car makers that put the upper half of the car gray.. no matter if its black or gray.. but yet.. if its tan.. then the upper half is tan too..
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (09vGT)

beats the hell outta me.lolMaybe IMakeVibes would know something? Anyone else worked in the Auto industry have a clue?
Ls1jorge

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by Ls1jorge »

I hope this weekend I can start my project on the headliner how long you think it'll smell like paint before installing the headliner & panels, & yea wanna paint the inside of the headlight housing black,
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (Ls1jorge)

The plastics usually smell for about a week in my experience. I can't speak for the cloth tho. Ask wolfman213....he did his rear seats
ou.grizzly

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »Ask wolfman213...]Looks scary to me
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I remember there's a video which shows how to paint panels and fabric seats by official Duplicolor. OK, here's link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRdlQkg3NOg

Attached files
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
Ls1jorge

Re: (petervivian)

Post by Ls1jorge »

Not bad blue seats look good, can't wait to check & see how my project comes out, hopefully won't be to bad, if I knew how to wrap leather or vinyl I would wrap it like there's no tomorrow on the headliner lol Petervivian- thank you for the link
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Painting headliner & side panels help??

hahah,
Guess this never got answered.
Can't find a write-up on headliner removal.

I'm gonna have to make one