Uncomfortable steering wheel

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
hummingbird

Uncomfortable steering wheel

Post by hummingbird »

Hey guys. Good to meet you. I've had my 2006 Vibe for about a month and I swear I'm developing carpal tunnel syndrome from the steering wheel. It's too far away, too thick, and the airbag prevents me from putting my hands where they would be most comfortable. (3 and 9). I see this problem is not unique to me and I'm wondering if anyone has ideas for making it more comfortable.Any ideas how much it would cost to replace the thing? Can I replace it with one that is more adjustable?Thanks.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

What is interesting a person with Rheumatoid Arthritis or CTS actually benefit from a thicker steering wheel. I do not see much can be done besides trying to move your seat closer and adjust the recline to make the wheel not so far away. As for the thickness and airbag, can not modify that from my knowledge.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Whelan

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by Whelan »

I would recommend the leather wrapped wheel. It has bulges at 3 and 9 for hand placement, and is ultra-comfortable on the hands. Never sore, never worn or tired from holding the wheel. I'll never own another w/o a leather wrapped wheel.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

Maybe you should've taken a longer test drive??I have the stock wheel, no issues. Maybe play with the wheel tilt and seat adjustments.Never heard of an uncomfortable steering wheel before. You've entered my list of firsts! I find the wheel just fine, I appreciate that it is only 3 spokes and not that universal air bag four that prevailed for so many years.Best of luckDave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
ou.grizzly

Re: (Whelan)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I would recommend the leather wrapped wheel. It has bulges at 3 and 9 for hand placement, and is ultra-comfortable on the hands. Never sore, never worn or tired from holding the wheel. I'll never own another w/o a leather wrapped wheel.Poster is already concerned about a thick steering wheel..
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
keithvibe

Re: Uncomfortable steering wheel (hummingbird)

Post by keithvibe »

this is one of the things I hate about my car. The thick steering wheel, the short steering wheel, and steering wheel that doesn't tilt ore telescope.I have long legs so I need the seat back far. But because of the lack of tilt or telescoping wheel I can't have the seat where I want it. If I put the seat where I want it I can't reach the steering wheel.I guess after 3yeas of ownership I got used to it.If you figure out something, let me know please.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Vibe_dude

Re: Uncomfortable steering wheel (keithvibe)

Post by Vibe_dude »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »this is one of the things I hate about my car. The thick steering wheel, the short steering wheel, and steering wheel that doesn't tilt ore telescope.I have long legs so I need the seat back far. But because of the lack of tilt or telescoping wheel I can't have the seat where I want it. If I put the seat where I want it I can't reach the steering wheel.I guess after 3yeas of ownership I got used to it.If you figure out something, let me know please.I have the same prob.....I cant stand how stubby they made the steering coloum...way to short for my longer legs,I need the seat to sit as far back as it can go..arms get tired on long drives.Oh well what can you do.lol
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Thanks for the replies. It's true that I should have taken it for a longer test drive. I probably still would have gotten it because I love so many other things about it. But maybe not...I tried wrapping the wheel in "grippy tape". I have the leather steering wheel and I was feeling like my hands wanted to slip off so maybe they hurt because I had to hold on so tightly. It seems to help a little. I'm going to have this car for a long time so I feel like I need to figure out something. I'll let you know if I do.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

When I sit properly, I feel my arms are too short
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
bodhi_tree777

Re: (petervivian)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

I wonder if there are any other Pontiac or Toyota OEM wheels that would be a direct swap?
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

I doubt they would swap but the 09+ have telescoping wheels.
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

I know how you feel. I never have adjusted to the Vibe wheel. Welcome. I think you might be the closest genviber to me now. Post some pics!
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
keithvibe

Re: Uncomfortable steering wheel (K-NINE)

Post by keithvibe »

I contemplated having a 1" spacer added to the collum where the steering wheel is mounted. I don't know anyone in a machine shop that could perform it though. Everything else would be the same. You would need longer bolts and maybe have the wires extended for the horn and airbag but maybe not depending on how much slack is in the lines. That would be a perfect for me... maybe 1.5" would be better though, so I can finally adjust how I see fit for the steering wheel.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
dragon64

Re: Uncomfortable steering wheel (keithvibe)

Post by dragon64 »

Quote, originally posted by keithvibe »I contemplated having a 1" spacer added to the collum where the steering wheel is mounted. I don't know anyone in a machine shop that could perform it though. Everything else would be the same. You would need longer bolts and maybe have the wires extended for the horn and airbag but maybe not depending on how much slack is in the lines. That would be a perfect for me... maybe 1.5" would be better though, so I can finally adjust how I see fit for the steering wheel.Unfortunately a spacer is not a viable option. The steering wheel is not bolt on. There is a splined harden steel sleeve pressed in the the center of the steel frame of the steering wheel. This sleeve slides onto the splined end of the steering shaft and held in place with large flange nut.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
djkeev

Post by djkeev »

The new Corolla XRS has Tilt/Telescope wheel. Find one wrecked and swap it out. Don't know but the Vibe is a corolla, I imagine with minimal fuss the column should switch right in. Maybe it would be worth stopping by a dealership and taking a good long look at the wheel and column and see how similar they are.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)