Dimentions of the rear cargo area???

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Stang2Vibe

Dimentions of the rear cargo area???

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Does anyone happen to know off hand the dimentions of the rear cargo area with both rear seats folded down? I'm talking about how big of a rectangle would fit back there on the floor when everything is folded flat. What would be like the largest size sheet of plywood or something that I could lay on the floor? I am thinking of taking my Vibe camping this summer and I have a lot of back problems when sleeping in a tent on the hard ground. I was thinking that I could get an inflatable aerobed to put in the back. Since we have this handy 110 volt outlet in the dash, I figured I could use it to operate the electric air pump. I already checked the aerobed website and the electric pump only draws 1 amp so it would work in the Vibe's socket. It would be really convienent to be able to sleep in the back of the Vibe on the inflatable matress. I just need to know the dimentions of the Vibe to see if one would fit. I'd go measure myself, but my tape measure is 40 miles away and it won't be handy any time soon. If anyone knows this measurement or could quickly take it, I would really appreciate it.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Guy in PHX

Re: Dimentions of the rear cargo area??? (Stang2Vibe)

Post by Guy in PHX »

Just ran out to my garage and checked. It's approximately 66" from back of my front seats to hatch door and 39.5" between the wheel wells. If the matress is thick enough to be level with the front passenger seat in the table position you'd probably gain alot more usable leg room.
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
Stang2Vibe

Re: Dimentions of the rear cargo area??? (Guy in PHX)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

Thank you so much for taking those measurements. According to the aerobed site the twin size mattress is 74" long by 39" wide by 7" high. I have to hope that I can move the driver's seat forward enough to give me about 10 more inches in length than what you measured. I'm assuming that you didn't shift the driver seat as far forward as it goes (at least I'm hoping). If I remember correctly, the front seats move forward until the backs of the seats are about even with the back of the center console. I have some large sheets of cardboard at work, so maybe I can cut or fold one of them to match the size of the mattress and do a test fit that way this weekend. This could be interesting. I'll post the results of my experiment. And thank you very much again for taking those measurements !
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
KSNeptune

Re: Dimentions of the rear cargo area??? (Stang2Vibe)

Post by KSNeptune »

You may be able to move the seats forward, but the center console is going to be in your way.KSNeptune.
Stang2Vibe

Re: Dimentions of the rear cargo area??? (KSNeptune)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

The console shouldn't be much of a problem. The air mattress could just rest over top of it. If it's too high, the top armrest part of it should be easily removable with a screwdriver or a wrench, depending on what is holding the hinge on. Removing the top part should take away about 3 inches of console height.