need help deciding on window tint..

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
waveresponder

need help deciding on window tint..

Post by waveresponder »

ok so what is everyones experiance been so far...i went to the two closes places and they each were around $200 to do the "responder"....one shop offers only 35% and 20% or lower...the other offers only 22% and 32%...im leaning towards 32%..here in pa its recomended that you stay at least at 25-30% so you dont draw police even though legally the law states as long as you can view the interior you cannot recieve a citation for tint....id appreciate if everyone that has tint could post pics of their vibe or even matrix..prefer those that have closer to 35%...but all are welcome...thanks ahead of time everyone that responds to this!
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

MN is 50 , but I know BC did i think 35 on passanger and rear, 35 all around looks nice though.
bull77

Re: need help deciding on window tint.. (waveresponder)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by waveresponder »id appreciate if everyone that has tint could post pics of their vibe.I have 20% on the Vibe - If I could do it again I'd go darker (10% - 15%). The first pic is in bright sun while the second is a little cloudy. I love having the tint, but in the bright sun I'd prefer to have it darker all around. It cost me $275
chevelle_lover

Post by chevelle_lover »

I have 20% and I really like it. $200 is about the price that I think that the boss paid for the tint. Since it was a birthday present I do not know the exact cost. Since I do not have a camera then you will have to imagine a Moonstone Vibe with tint dark enough that you cannot see into it.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
Kamikaze

Re: (chevelle_lover)

Post by Kamikaze »

35% front20% rears
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

you've seen my pics..i got 20%..i guess our tint is different then down south...bull says 20% and im 20% too..and mines like 3x darker
bull77

Re: (WaveAction)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by WaveAction »..i guess our tint is different then down south...bull says 20% and im 20% too..and mines like 3x darkerMaybe, but mine looks darker when it's not so bright. The first pic was a cloudless day in Montreal.
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

Legal in FL is 30% front 15% rear. However, as in your case, the shop only offers 35 or 20. I got the 35% all around. But, the car had a light factory tint already, so I figure it is a net of 32 or 30% or there about. I like this amount. Cost was $160 plus tax. Keep in mind that the darker the tint the more difficult it will be for you to see out at night.May be too many reflections to tell much.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
ColonelPanic

Re: need help deciding on window tint.. (VivaVibe)

Post by ColonelPanic »

Quote, originally posted by VivaVibe » Keep in mind that the darker the tint the more difficult it will be for you to see out at night.And that is exactly why I'll never go with 20% again, opted for that once in my rebelious years and regretted it each night. Mine had Llumar brand 35% on it, I always thought it was a nice balance between privacy and visibility...
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
ajflan

Post by ajflan »

I have 35 up front, 20 in back. Its still hard to see at night sometimes.
February 08' VOTM Check out my Band! http://www.facebook.com/pages/...67945
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

i have 35% front and 20% back and its quite nice because you can still use your side mirrors when its getting a bit dim out and your back is still dark enough that you dont need to filp your rearview at night...i love my tints...
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
fredfreedom

Post by fredfreedom »

Hi Waveresponder,Here in Quebec we have the right of 70% in the front and no limit for back windows, so I put 50% in the front to be OK with cops! and 20% in my back windows. I have chosen the Platinium Llumar paper, because it's look a little bit more mirror but it reflect's more UV rays and heating than regular paper, andd there's a really big diffrence in heat reflection, I put my A/C at low setting to keep my car cool in summer.Here's some pics of my car:
2007 Moonstone VIBE FWD Special Edition with XM Satellite Radio, Stainless exhaust tip, 7 speakers, power group, 16 inch mags, Monotone, A/T, Slate interior, 50/80% Llumar platinium tinted windows, Sherlock Antitheft Marking, Barry Danne Grease Rust-Proofing, K&N air filter, MiVibe-ToolGuy fog lights protector, DIY 3M Filtrete cabin air filter, Toyota rear bumper protector, more to come...TOTALLED 2007-07-17 R.I.P. 2005 Moonstone VIBE FWD
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

like the tint man in ontario i think the mirror type tints are illegal..dont quote me..specially the front windows
fredfreedom

Post by fredfreedom »

they have a mirror look like but they are not mirror. I know what you're talking about and it's also illegal in Quebec. This is not what I have!
2007 Moonstone VIBE FWD Special Edition with XM Satellite Radio, Stainless exhaust tip, 7 speakers, power group, 16 inch mags, Monotone, A/T, Slate interior, 50/80% Llumar platinium tinted windows, Sherlock Antitheft Marking, Barry Danne Grease Rust-Proofing, K&N air filter, MiVibe-ToolGuy fog lights protector, DIY 3M Filtrete cabin air filter, Toyota rear bumper protector, more to come...TOTALLED 2007-07-17 R.I.P. 2005 Moonstone VIBE FWD
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

well im saying its illegal on the fronts..cause it doesnt show the drivers face or anything like that..i know it aint actually a mirror..just an affect that makes it looks like one
coldmm803

Post by coldmm803 »

theres some pics in my garage of mine, i have 35%. how dark they look depends on the light and the angle.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=25949
BlueCrush

Re: (coldmm803)

Post by BlueCrush »

I have 35% all around. Click on my sig to see the pics in my garage.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
vinny.mca

Post by vinny.mca »

I have 20 all around, with 35 in the windshield. Perfect combiniation in my opinion. Doesn't obstruct your view at night, but dark enough where people can't see in, unless they dive their nose to the window. :D
murphsouth

Post by murphsouth »

window tinting is both egotistical and dangerous. Other drivers can't see through tinting so the 3rd vehicle (bicycles and motorcycles in particular) are invisible. For you, the visibility on a vibe is not great to begin with so why make it worse.Your vehicle is not a pair of sunglasses. It's just a ride.I hope they ban all tinting because a huge SUV with tinting is hideous to see around/through and presents a hazzard.
02csnow

Re: need help deciding on window tint.. (murphsouth)

Post by 02csnow »

Quote, originally posted by murphsouth »window tinting is both egotistical and dangerous. Other drivers can't see through tinting so the 3rd vehicle (bicycles and motorcycles in particular) are invisible. For you, the visibility on a vibe is not great to begin with so why make it worse.Your vehicle is not a pair of sunglasses. It's just a ride.I hope they ban all tinting because a huge SUV with tinting is hideous to see around/through and presents a hazzard. Who are you?With saying other drivers cant see through tinting, why are they even looking. Saying the car is not a pair of sunglasses, why do people without tint wear sunglasses, while the ones with tint don't have to wear sunglasses.Some people get tint b/c it adds a new look to their car, some get it b/c they don't want others looking in their car, and some even get it b/c they have prescriptions form their eye doctors and they feel the tint will help out while driving.Tint serves many purposes. Mostly sun glare in the car and heating in the car.
Bye Bye Vibe.............
lovemyraffe

Re: need help deciding on window tint.. (02csnow)

Post by lovemyraffe »

02csnow, I completely agree with you. It is not a hazard when done properly. That is why there are laws in place about how dark you can tint. As an avid cyclist and motorcyclist, I have never heard of a fellow cyclist/motorcyclist being hit because the driver of the vehicle could not see due to tinting on the vehicle in front of them. As an optician I do see many reason to tint your windows. Although it will never replace a good pair of sunglasses, tinting is the next best thing. My 05 Vibe is not tinted yet (still kinda new to me and haven't made it that far) but will be in the near future.I say poo-poo to all who are against any tinting.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

and whats sad about it all..is tinting is cheaper then apair of sunglasses..depending on the make of course, and i dont see any problems with tinting, i've tinted both my cars now and i can see perfectly find regardless of weather or darkness.i guess if you got tint, and cant see out of them, either you should get it taken off or stay away from a car
wyatt89

Post by wyatt89 »

im personally glad i have 20% in the back so people dont decide they want to jack **** out of the back of my car...visibility really isnt an issue...i have 35% in the front and i can see just fine out the side and looking into my sideviews...we have friggin bright reverse lights so i can even see stuff out of my rear view at night...what the hell is he talking about?oh and last time i checked, my vibe has amazing visibility compared to my ford f150 extended cab with a topper on it (i have about a 1' window out the back)
'04 lava GTSRI, Progress rear sway bar, Infinity reference backs, components in the front, Infinity Kappa 124.7w sub, Alphasonik 600rms@2ohms for the sub, alpine head unit, worst paint ever!
yotatrix

Post by yotatrix »

35 here on the rear 5 windows it's cool, but I plan on tinting fronts too.
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

ok sooo i set up an appointment for last saturday..but cancelled it they wanted 285$....now i set up an appointment at another place for this thursday...$230.....i think im going to get...35 the front two side windows...no tint on the windshield..and 20 on the rear 5......
p8md

Post by p8md »

Just my opinion, but I think you should stick with one tint % on the sides (I'm going with 20% all around). You can definitely tell a difference from front to back when looking at the car from the side and it doesn't look uniform. If the law requires 35% on the front sides then do the front and back 35% and do the hatch 20%. Opinions are like buttholes... everyone has them! (PG version)
waveresponder

Re: (p8md)

Post by waveresponder »

im now thinking of doing the hatch 20, the rear two little windows 20 and the remaining four other main windows at 35....whats everyones opinions on this...
bull77

Re: (waveresponder)

Post by bull77 »

if you can, go 20% on the sides with 15% on the rear I think you might end up regretting not going darker if you go with %35 - it's not exactly cheap to get it done over again
VivaVibe

Post by VivaVibe »

20 in the back and 35 on the sides would probably look OK. I ended up doing 35 all around so they would all look the same. Since the car came with factory tint which is about 5 I think, it amounts to a 30% job. I'm satisfied with it and I'm in Florida. Just be sure whatever you do is legal for your area. Otherwise, you'll end up paying a fine AND paying to have it redone.
2004 Base Shadow MonotoneMoon-n-Tunes, Power Pkg16" Alloys, AT, ABS, Side Air-bagsPin-stripe, 30% Tint, Fat exhaust tipMy GenVibe Garage
waveresponder

Re: (VivaVibe)

Post by waveresponder »

the tint jobs done!....ill have to post some pics sooon....
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

where the heck are these pics..man if u get the yellow foglight covers..ur definitly a twin of mine
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

hey not to hijack, but didnt want to make a total new thread.What are good tint brands? One shop up here in duluth has protectgard, the one I was thinking in the cities still has to get back to me. I was thinking 35% all around....
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

up here we got a company called solar...something..they're goodi forget the name..probably solarguard or..ya
kevera

Post by kevera »

I might bite the bullet and get the Vibe done this weekend.Since I've never tinted any of my vehicles.How does it work,the lower the number the darker the tint,right.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
VforVIBE

Re: (kevera)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by kevera »I might bite the bullet and get the Vibe done this weekend.Since I've never tinted any of my vehicles.How does it work,the lower the number the darker the tint,right. right, but the tint laws are different in different places.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
kevera

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by kevera »

I don't want the darkest tint.The wife is worried she won't be able to see with the tint.So,I was just wondering how the numbering worked.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

MN is 50% but thats like..no tint, so I was thinking between 35-50% tint. Bluecrush has 35% and it looks good, not to dark. I just worry at night the rear window may be too dark.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

soo the place in the cities say they use Global Window Films. I've never heard of that brand. where are all the tinted peoples input?
VforVIBE

Re: (northvibe)

Post by VforVIBE »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »I just worry at night the rear window may be too dark.I have 15% all around, It seems dark at first, but you get use to it.
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
Kamikaze

Post by Kamikaze »

Parnell, I've got 35 up front 20 in the back... 20 isn't too dark in the back... I actually wish I would have gone a little darker on the back window.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

brent email me pics of your vibe with tint
Blanco_Diablo

Post by Blanco_Diablo »

Honestly, 35% seemed a bit light to me, I went with 20% all the way around and love it!You can see out just fine and it looks nice too
TRDmatrixXR_AWD

Post by TRDmatrixXR_AWD »

On my Matrix, I had 20% Front and 10% in back. I loved it. Even if it was hot and sunny outside, the car didn't have trouble keeping the interior nice and cool.
Martin AKA BLKDOUT3
Joli

Post by Joli »

Hi Responder ! I agree with the 35 front, 20 rear sides and 35 rear hatch. That's the way I'm going. I'm up in East Stroudsburg, PA so I'm under the same rules for tinting as you are.
05 AWD Silver Vibe | WeartherTech Vent Shades | JVC XG700 HU | Blue Vibe & Red Grafxwerks badge overlays |
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

ive had 5, 20, and 30 on different cars, and in the future i wont go higher than 20 again.