How to get skunk smell out

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
kevera

How to get skunk smell out

Post by kevera »

Well,when I got into my cars this morning,I had this wonderful smell of skunk bum in it.Looks like the skunk sprayed both of the cars last night.I've tried fabreze but it hasn't worked yet,and with the sun and warm weather,it seems to be lingering.I don't want to shampoo the interiors of both the cars,anyone have any suggestion on what to use to get rid of this god awful smell.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: How to get skunk smell out (kevera)

Post by NSimkins »

I hate to say it, but I hit a skunk a couple years ago and it took a good 3 months for the smell to go away. I wasn't able to pinpoint the location of where the "spray" was underneath the car, but it seemed to be near the engine and whenever it was warm out, the smell was pretty bad. I ended up going to a car wash weekly that did the undercarriage spray as well as used, I believe, Simple Green mixture and sprayed some of various plastic/frame parts underneath the car periodically. I don't know if Simple Green is safe for paint/etc. however.
nygiantzz1

Post by nygiantzz1 »

If you have any friends in your local fire department, ask them to spray the frame and tires with the chemical they use to decon humans that get sprayed by skunks. I don't know what they use, but it works.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

do a GIS on "skunk smell removal" there is a mix of i wanna say peroxide and something else that is supposed to work.... You COULD go and buy 200 gallons of tomato juice... but.... well you get the idea...
kevera

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by kevera »

Thanks,I was watching "Myth Busters" and they tried the peroxide and it didn't seem to work.I also heard Vanilla worked also.The fabreeze worked a little bit,but it's still there.Maybe I should smoke a cigar.
DavidPIL

Post by DavidPIL »

Hi Kevera...Not sure how this would work on the exterior but I had an old futon matress that my cat did a #1 on, washed it, the smell was still there, soaked the area in something called "Vacuum Free - foam carpet deodorizer" from Arm & Hammer. I had the spray stuff that was specifically for pet odors. Was a pleasant smell and still haven't noticed the #1 on it yet. Using it as a couch now and it's still spiffy after 2 weeks. I know it's not the same as skunk but it might help some.Dave
scott_h

Post by scott_h »

Have you tried eating some very spicy food or drinking Old Milwaukee beer? You might not notice the skunk smell any more...
Scott
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Christ sakes, i'll do the GIS FOR YOU.... http://www.google.com/search?s...movalYour welcome... P.s. If you can ask the question here, you can ask Google as well....
mathteacher'04vibe

Post by mathteacher'04vibe »

I had a similar smell from a cafe mocha that spilled in the cold of winter and thawed this spring. Advance Auto guys sold me Ozium. It worked great, but DO NOT spray it while sitting in the car--if you smoke, do not leave cigarettes in the car while spraying either. No more smell, though.
'04 Vibe 1.8VVT-i, K&N Typhoon S/R, Fullboar muffler w/3.5" resonator tip. Sony CDX-GT500 h/u + Fosgate mono amp w/2 10" woofers & cap. Tinted side rear windows, SilverStar headlights and Cool Blue fogs. DC Sports Headers. 2.5" stainless pipe from stock resonator to muffler. Limited 903's (17x7.5) Gunmetal Gray with 225/45/R17 Strata tires. Link to my photobucket videos: http://s100.photobucket.com/al...ideos/
Imager

Post by Imager »

I have a current similiar problem.I don't own the Vibe I am driving right now, but soon I will be owning it.Anyway, the previous owner was a smoker and I think used the Vibe as his smoke room to dry some fish or something.I got most of the smell out by using Febreeze and a can of gel deOdorizer.However, when you first turn on the AC, it smells like month old socks.I plan on using kitty litter (brother in law advice) and probably run a sharper image air ionizer all night.
zionzr2

Re: How to get skunk smell out (Imager)

Post by zionzr2 »

Quote, originally posted by Imager »I have a current similiar problem.I don't own the Vibe I am driving right now, but soon I will be owning it.Anyway, the previous owner was a smoker and I think used the Vibe as his smoke room to dry some fish or something.I got most of the smell out by using Febreeze and a can of gel deOdorizer.However, when you first turn on the AC, it smells like month old socks.I plan on using kitty litter (brother in law advice) and probably run a sharper image air ionizer all night.Clean out and replace the Cabin Filter !! This will help significantly with smells coming from the HVAC system.We have a Vibe in the Rent-A-Car Fleet that had a bad smell with the HVAC on and I opened up the cabin filter compartment and sucked out a ton of debris with a vaccum then sprayed the whole area along with the filter with lysol. So far the smell is gone.
edro20

Post by edro20 »

I it is really bad you can go to a remediation company (carpet cleaner and fire resto company) and get them to ozone the car. They can flush the car with an ozone generator. This will 86 any smell in there.
drunkenmaxx

Re: How to get skunk smell out (Imager)

Post by drunkenmaxx »

Quote, originally posted by Imager » I think used the Vibe as his smoke room to dry some fish or something.either that or he's visiting the wrong bars!
chew aura pizza cheat main"the world in my hands, there's noone left to hear you scream, noone's there for you"
Toasted7

Post by Toasted7 »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »You COULD go and buy 200 gallons of tomato juice... but.... well you get the idea... You took my idea...First, you need a larger can opener (for the roof of the car), then you need...
VMFIC of Cincinnati Scikotics Cincinnati Scikotics sponsored by: KerryScion.com My other ride is your mom
Sublimewind

Re: (Toasted7)

Post by Sublimewind »

Well, fine.... highlight, copy, paste.... Quote »So. You or your dog or even a part of your house has been sprayed by a skunk, and now you want to get rid of the smell.These tactics WILL NOT work very well: Bath in tomato juice Spray with lemon or orange citrus Masking agents like perfume or Fabreze How do you eliminate the odor once you have been sprayed by a skunk? Well first of all, you or your dog should have known the warning signs ahead of time. A skunk will give many clear signals before it sprays. If threatened, it will stamp its front feet, arch its back, and shuffle away. If you don't leave right away, it will turn its posterior toward you, raise the tail, and release the smelly musk, a sulfur-alcohol compound, from special glands near the (removed). This spray not only stinks, but burns and can cause temporary blindness if it is sprayed directly into the eyes. Since you didn't take heed and got sprayed, here is how to get rid of the smell:Here is the secret recipe that WORKS. Mix the following: 1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide 1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) 1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent Mix these together and bathe ("shampoo" in or rub down) the spray victim thoroughly. Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable. Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary. For spray in the eyes, flush with water as soon as possible. If you can't go to all of the trouble of buying hydrogen peroxide at your local drug store, then a 2% vinegar solution will help a bit. But please, don't bother with the old tomato juice tactic unless you want to smell like skunk + tomato.Quote, originally posted by Toasted7 »You took my idea...First, you need a larger can opener (for the roof of the car), then you need... First come first serve, mang...
kevera

Post by kevera »

ahahahaha,This thread is still going.I used some meguiars stink out to get rid of the skunk smell that I was so lucky to get.I would be hesitant about using peroxide,I remember using that to bleach my hair years ago,wonder what it would do to carpet.Plus I watched "Myth Busters" and peroxide did not get rid of the smell.
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Well, it is not the peroxide alone that is doing the work....And from what i recall, that was the only thing at really "worked"... IIRC