My Cargo Cover Completed (Pics)

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
Whelan

My Cargo Cover Completed (Pics)

Post by Whelan »

All that is left todo is paint the bottom with my grey rustoleum and throw in the U supports. I did a split design because the whole piece would not fit inside easily and this way I can lift up one end to put things down low w/o opening the hatch. Not to mention it is easier to take apart when cargo space is needed. Took it for a test drive, the car is noticeably quieter now and the cost was around $50.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
damronjr

Re: My Cargo Cover Completed (Whelan)

Post by damronjr »

Looks pretty good!
Jason Damron, San Diego, CA, Supercharged 2004 Vibe base - Gone to the wind My Vibe pics on Cardomain2009 Chevrolet HHR SS!
djb383

Post by djb383 »

Now that's using the old noodle. Great job.
'05 Lava Tutone base, Pwr Grp, Moon & Tunes, 16" alloys, Auto.....Yep, it's gotta HEMI
prathman

Post by prathman »

Excellent. Especially like the fold-up feature so it can be stowed when needed. How convenient is it to lift up half of it to drop things in the back when just opening the hatch glass? My wife likes to toss things back there without opening the whole hatch and the factory cover makes it difficult.
Whelan

Re: My Cargo Cover Completed (prathman)

Post by Whelan »

If people are interested I will post a FULL DIY with pics, let me know so I can set it up.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Guy in PHX

Post by Guy in PHX »

Hey Whelan,That looks great. I've been wanting to do something like that for the last 4 years. I would like to see a full DIY if your offering. How much would you guess that assembly weighs?Guy In PhoenixJust Passin' Thru
Just Passin' Thru
2003 Vibe/2009 Nissan Cube
Whelan

Re: My Cargo Cover Completed (Guy in PHX)

Post by Whelan »

I used 1/2" plywood, not very heavy at all. But enough so that you can store stuff on top of it and it holds its own weight down.I will work on the DIY tomorrow and take some good separate pics of the pieces. So expect by tomorrow night around 10pm eastern or so for the DIY to be up on Matrixowners.com and here. All total took probably 2-3 hours of work.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

nice **** man..that looks sweet
kevera

Post by kevera »

Great work dude. But you didn't put a shelf in for the Atari console. .Might as well put a DIY for all to share.
June '07 VOTM Sept '07 MOTM HCVO /HCMO The Red Devil
black05vibe

Post by black05vibe »

Looks great! Good job on the split design. I am the one who sells the Hard Cover Product on Ebay and glad to see that I was close in the ball park as far as cost. When I did my original posting about my product when someone asked I estimated around 45 dollars to build - guess I was close. I am working on a new variation to the full width version that will allow access via the rear hatch - it's really cool looking. It proabably won't be available for a few weeks, more than likely a month or so. Again, I support and willing myself to answer any questions to the design and build of this. But, for those are not ready for that challenge please see here...http://stores.ebay.com/AVentur...QtZkmAwesome job, something about self-satisfaction when you do it yourself... How many total hours did you spend on the project - if I may ask?Regards... Aaron
Whelan

Re: My Cargo Cover Completed (black05vibe)

Post by Whelan »

All total, not counting the time spent at Home Depot, about 5 hours. Took me longer cause I worked from only pictures of your idea and my noggin. I've been big with DIY stuff and this seemed doable. Def. not for the very beginner as a first project, but most anyone can do it with time and patience. I am putting up a DIY on here later for people. It is fairly lengthy, and I noted the main differences in my design compared to yours. A few questions I do have for you are:1) Where did you find those plastic U-supports?2) How did you get a full length piece to fit, when I tried with mine, it wouldnt make it through the opening?3) What size piping did you use to fit through the tie down hooks?4) How did you get the pipe to stay on the hook in the rear (close to the hatch), that took me almost an hour in itself to figure out.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
black05vibe

Post by black05vibe »

Hello...Plastic supports can be found at any higher end plumbing shop. Can't remember the name right off hand - but they are not cheap and must be modifed to work.Not sure why yours wouldn't fit. The instructions with mine detail that you lift the cargo hatch and lay the rear seats down or at least tilt forward during installation.1/2 inch conduit that is size to length within 1/16 of an inch. Ends are then rubber coated about two inches to elimante metal to metal contact.The pipe in the rear is a trick to get to fit, but 1/2 conduit makes it much easier. The length is critical and bungee's are enough to keep it in place. I am guessing that the 3/4 tubing you utilized will cause difficulties. If you think that was a challenge, the setup on my Matrix version is even more of a challenge. The D-rings are not in the same location for the rear and are actually about a 1/2 inch towards the rear hatch. Because of this they is an extreme angle in which the pipe must be insterted and will continually pop out. I changed the design in such a way that it is working the Matrix, but it took me countless hours and many tries to get something to work. I think I will just hold onto that little detail... not that it would effect any Vibe owners...Regards, Aaron
Whelan

Re: My Cargo Cover Completed (black05vibe)

Post by Whelan »

Makes sense now.I do not have to tilt the seats to install, nor lift the rear hatch, only the glass portion.My conduit is 3/4" with rubber caps and tightly fitted so no rattling takes place.The rear D-hooks were a pain, I essentially flipped the D-hook around so it flops down, held it up with the bungees and made the conduit a tight fit back there to hold the weight. Has worked well so far with 20lbs. of stuff on it and many many bumps in the road. I live in CT so the roads are def. not flat by any means.For the U support which you got from a plumbing store I purchased for around $15 from West Marine (boating store). They are made to use as clamps around a boat stancion, but fit perfectly and offer a full 1/2 coverage on the pipe diameter. This makes for a great swivel, as I mounted them on the forward part and it also give a bit of a rear facing rake in the setup so items are less prone to slide forward and stay put.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT